Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

Like Tree4642Likes

Thread: Game bird diary for all

i wonder how many would back a single bird a day policy ????to keep number up that others might enjoy the day out with at least one to bring home of the pheasant variety
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Are you familiar with the relationship between daily bag limits and hunter harvest and their impact on gamebird populations?

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    mind you eesbees i tend to remember a post where i talked of shooting to many pheasants and you phiifffed it more or less -- the result is what you get to shoot today !!the short sightedness of people . an emphasis on quality work over quantity of birds shot and we would all have more birds
    You're clearly not familiar with the area and the many decades of work various acclimatisation societies put into it, to no avail. It has nothing to do with shooting pressure clearly as back in the Hawkes Bay societies' day there were ten times the shooters out there.

i wonder how many would back a single bird a day policy ????to keep number up that others might enjoy the day out with at least one to bring home of the pheasant variety
    People have a hard time justifying a game licence as it is, who would buy one for a few weeks of duck shooting and one pheasant a day? Maybe not in the Hawkes Bay as above, where a pheasant is hard work, but in BOP? Theres a pheasant under every second shrub here
    Last edited by Pointer; 19-08-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    Are you familiar with the relationship between daily bag limits and hunter harvest and their impact on gamebird populations?
    only in the real time evidence and the lack of game in many areas due to over hunting with daily limits which are pretty senseless, but of course this is just my very humble opinion -you carry on and wack as many as you can until they're thin enough on the ground that others just give up . of course we do have land being cleared so habitat leaving , harder to get onto land doesn't help either. ive never considered the game fee license a great expense in comparison to other sports and i am not at all a wealthy man .
    Iam sure I am not alone in this observation and thought which really is for the betterment and enjoyment of our sport

[QUOTE=Pointer;284109]You're clearly not familiar with the area and the many decades of work various acclimatisation societies put into it, to no avail. It has nothing to do with shooting pressure clearly as back in the Hawkes Bay societies' day there were ten times the shooters out there.

what do you think is causing a lack of game being found in many areas ?it doesnt really matter what it is ,it just means rather than bang 3-4 birds on a block you shoot one and let another hunter have a go also . share the love , doesn t mean you cant work your dog for a time to enjoy the day!maybe they could even extend the season if less birds were shot daily ??
    Last edited by el borracho; 19-08-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Be lucky to see a pheasant once a year down here. Pleanty of peasants thou
    el borracho likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

i was chatting with a chap in the Whanganui about his areas . He has purchased one of my very fine puppys so he can cover more land than his spaniels can due to the obvious problem in his area of thin bird numbers . A shame when you have great public ground for dogs but few feathered game to shoot.

Just curious, what does F&G do with the funds from the licences? How are they reinvested back in the wild?
    Do they release birds or aid the population growth somehow????

Quote Originally Posted by Petros_mk View Post
    Just curious, what does F&G do with the funds from the licences? How are they reinvested back in the wild?
    Do they release birds or aid the population growth somehow????
    What Does Fish & Game Do | Fish & Game NZ
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

be interesting to see what they do for upland game versus ducks and their habitat in how much money and time is spent

for those that run pointing breeds I reckon a day of finding birds and taking the odd few birds is what it's all about.
    petro's stories of late are testament of that, the dog finds far out weigh the shooting success....{I would say the gun don't fit him regardless}
    run spaniels over the same ground and you end up blasting everything put out.... I know I do lol.
    Pointer likes this.

be interesting to see what they do for upland game versus ducks and their habitat in how much money and time is spent
    for a start they should delay the start of upland til june......who needs to shoot short tailed roosters anyway.
    and I'm sick of all the easy birds being shot while I chase ducks.

yes id agree for a true pointing breeds connoisseur a day hunting is far more about good work with the hope of a result than blasting all in sundry . in saying that if the game aint there doesn't matter what one has to run .i think petros is a right hand shooter but has a strong eye left... thank goodness for those hunters following behind lol
    i have no doubt a spaniel man appreciates the finer points like a good pointer and setter man
    if you havent private land to shoot in many regions your going to have a hard hunt , managed and stocked differently this could change .. maybe

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    for those that run pointing breeds I reckon a day of finding birds and taking the odd few birds is what it's all about.
    petro's stories of late are testament of that, the dog finds far out weigh the shooting success....{I would say the gun don't fit him regardless}
    run spaniels over the same ground and you end up blasting everything put out.... I know I do lol.
    Correction: I, myself don't fit the gun...
    The gun-fit itself is fine ...

yes id agree for a true pointing breeds connoisseur a day hunting is far more about good work with the hope of a result than blasting all in sundry . in saying that if the game aint there doesn't matter what one has to run .i think petros is a right hand shooter but has a strong eye left... thank goodness for those hunters following behind lol
    i have no doubt a spaniel man appreciates the finer points like a good pointer and setter man
    if you havent private land to shoot in many regions your going to have a hard hunt , managed and stocked differently this could change .. maybe
    If I point my middle finger at your avatar, and close my left eye, the finger is still on your avatar