Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Lake Ellesmere Goose Hunt

Lake Ellesmere Goose Hunt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360571822.661592.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.6 KBQuite a few years ago now , a random reporter from the press turned up while out shooting geese . He took a photo and rung my mate up late one night . Mate was half pissed and rattled on a hole lot of rubbish that got published . Was funny as when I think about it . Also got slammed by a animal lover/greenie who wrote me a nasty letter titled" mecarb murdering Munsey ". Was not self addresed ,bugger ! Side note the two dogs where Sam and bell , black lab and whire hair pointer both are well and truly in the big dog kennel in the sky . They where both very good dogs .
    Last edited by Munsey; 11-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    It would likely be something like my fourth shot a the geese. I was just getting started when they were hammered, so this was really a second start. Though the number of birds taken was very low the gain in knowledge was huge, including your great tips there Munsey. Also good to put names to faces from various forums I've been on over the years, starting with NZAirgunners and Digits NZRimfire.

So any advice/criticism is gladly taken on board. The old no point reinventing the wheel thing, if you've found something does/doesn't work then that knowledge is gold. Now if anyone knows how to get 36-48 hours in a day, ... with small game, game birds, large game, reloading, target shooting, clay shooting, there is so much to learn. With a growing family I need more hours so there are more for this information sponge to soak up.

I have got no criticism of you gadget, you own a Tim Grounds goose call so you are obviously a man of good taste.

Re the not enough time thing. It's taken me a while to understand it but it's all about understanding the yearly cycle of the species you hunt and organizing your life around it. Screw the wallabies, feb and march is for geese, the deer can wait until the roar. After the roar it's duck season followed by swans and geese at the lake, then spring goose hunt and november silly spikers. December and Jan are for spending time with the family and repainting deeks, reloading ammo etc. Feb is back to geese again.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    you own a Tim Grounds goose call so you are obviously a man of good taste.
    I would never own such a thing!

But there are lots of other things in there too, a lot of camps and outings with the youth groups I've been involved with for 25 odd years. That is something I know has made a huge difference to the lives of some of the kids we look after. Takes a fair whack of effort but the rewards are immeasurable. The big thing is I really enjoy getting out there whatever the outcome. I can make the best of any situation.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Gadgetman, you are probably the most ethical hunter I've ever met, and possibly one of the most dedicated, that stint by yourself was incredible, I would have spent it asleep under a bullrush!