Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Patternmaster

I usually shoot cylinder first thing opening morning when birds are uneducated then modified after mid morning as shots get further out and birds become decoy and call shy,perils of public water hunting I guess.

similar thoughts here....but 1/4 and half. switch back for that last magic 1/2 hour of light when if you can see it its generaly in range.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    @7mm Rem Mag........ I use a mod/half choke and also have a 1/4 choke........the 1/4 is a heck of alot more forgiving at 35yards or less and the mod make me think I do better closer to 40yards...... its probably more in my head but I do drop more birds with the open choke
    the theory of tightening up the shot string is all fine n dandy untill you bugger up your lead estimation......sometimes a wider pattern and long shotstring can be your friend.
    when your shooting 1 ounce 0r less[7/8ths] of steel in a 20 gauge you need all the friends you can get??
    but alas no 20 gauge model
    The new fast steel is a big improvement over the original steel shot loads.
    hallelujah to that.

Ive played with light n fast loads in the 12ga...we killed ducks without fuss with 1oz and 7/8th oz loads...kept speed to around the 1500 fps mark.... the recoil was stuff all but man are those ASteel load LOUD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Ive played with light n fast loads in the 12ga...we killed ducks without fuss with 1oz and 7/8th oz loads...kept speed to around the 1500 fps mark.... the recoil was stuff all but man are those ASteel load LOUD!!!!
    ive got a supply of upland steel in 3.s and4.s
    quick but not as hard on your ears or shoulder as the full federal black cloud load.
    Micky Duck likes this.