Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pheasant hunting without a dog?

Update: Saturday 19th May.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow forum member (unnamed forum, I’m not sure if he’s a member here as well), I had my first experience at shooting pheasants over a dog. I really enjoyed it. We put up close to 20 birds for the afternoon (3-1 ratio, hens - cocks).

The hens tended to flush in real close (within shooting range), the roosters/cocks on the other hand played a smart game and flushed just out of range. Of the two chances we did get, only one was successful… it was the last bird of the day and it was secured with a double-gun salute.

This experience really opened my eyes to how many birds I would have missed without a dog. I remember someone telling me as a rough guide, you would be lucky to see 1/3 of the local population hunting without a dog.

Looking forward to the next time I’m able to get out for a walk.

Cheers,

Raging Bull
    Last edited by Raging Bull; 21-05-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    look for areas with plenty of cover and bushy shit all over the place,like gorse etc... then go rumaging around in it making noises.... your bound to get onto em that way :-)
    The magic "weed" is .......inkweed.

Ejected
    Is that different to magic mushrooms????

theres only 1 way to hunt pheasants and thats with a well bred dog from hunting lines, not show lines. When youve seen them both run, you will know what im talking about
    Pointer likes this.