Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Took the .410g for a walk

mate in Timaru is importing the B&P steel loads in .12ga......he may even be agaent for it....wouldnt be hard to get some of the 410 stuff but may have to buy a slab....

I just pulled apart some very old .20g shells to re-use the lead.. going to throw a few handloads together in some 3" hulls with some Alliant 300MP and #4 , #5 and #6 shot and see how it does.
    I opened up one of the Winchester #6 shells and the wads are only holding 2/3rds of the 11/16oz load like you said Mick Duck so hopefully I can find some longer ones to hold the 3/4oz load. Ill make up some hand loading tools/dies in the lathe in the next few days

Name:  20200527_171034.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  3.11 MB

Name:  20200527_192040.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  3.19 MB

mix the shot together.and chuck some 7s and 8s in with it......and for tools you only need a mock chamber and a dowel of the internal diameter to tamp down the completed round...primer pokes out with a punch..just need a flat surface with a hole for primer to go into...put new one in by hand,insert dowel in business end of case and push down on flat surface....we used grannies tile table top... I used to pour in powder,wiggle wad in by hand,pour in shot,then put it in holder and push down with dowel...getting component height is criticle...if the end of your mock chamber is tapered inwards it will start crimp closing and the dowel coming down through it does the rest.....possibly wont work through a pump or semi...but you can get away with a hell of a lot with a break open.......if you put a wee cardboard disc ontop of shot,your crimp can be rather" agricultural" and still work fine.....
    nickbop and csmiffy like this.

Yip thats what Ill do for now but If Im doing more of it Ill make some dies for my press to decap and crimp etc
    I dont really want to mix shot as I will only buy one bag which will last me a loooooong time. Im leaning towards #4s or #5s

I hear you.....BUT by chucking in some #8s you will fill out pattern much better,heck buy a box of cheap clay loads,25oz of size #8s goes a long way if you putting in 1/4 oz per load...100ish if my maths teacher taught me right....half oz of your #4-5 and rest the 8s.....it would double your patterns density near enough....Bill Axby was a big fan of 8s in the wee gun.

My maths teacher was a dick, I get it but it just goes against my school of thought and how I tend to use my .410g. I shoot a lot more 30+ meter shots than I do under 25m so penetration and killing power on larger game birds (with a higher chance of missing) is more important than a tighter pattern littered with smaller shot that might wound rather than penetrate and kill especially will slower moving 11/16oz and 3/4oz loads. Im going for slow and heavy in the tightest chokes over fast and light in more open chokes as that is what best suits my purpose.
    Looking back at my pattern tests, all would be propper dead ducks, pheasants and rabbits at that range but if I was shooing more rats, weasles starlings etc Id venture into the trap loadings.

good stuff,you know what your doing with bangsticks,your rifle builds and cartridge loading leave me waaaaaay behind in the dust. find Bill Axbeys book "the bird hunters" its a good read.

you need some of this perhaps
    18-gcc-tungsten-super-shot-tss
    I would loke to try it but 16 12ga rounds per pound means its bloody expensive by the time its shipped here

yes the guys in states are shooting geese at 50 yards with #7s......that takes a lot of getting the head around.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yes the guys in states are shooting geese at 50 yards with #7s......that takes a lot of getting the head around.
    I know, would like to try some in my 20ga and 28ga would be better than steel

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    you need some of this perhaps
    18-gcc-tungsten-super-shot-tss
    I would loke to try it but 16 12ga rounds per pound means its bloody expensive by the time its shipped here
    Now why did you have to go and show me that?! Yes you are right.. this is what I need. I wonder if anyone this side of the pond has it on the shelf?

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Now why did you have to go and show me that?! Yes you are right.. this is what I need. I wonder if anyone this side of the pond has it on the shelf?
    Well if you find some I would be interested. Problem with the sub guages now we have these new Non toxic shot rules is no bloody retailers / importers actually bring in any for 410 or 28ga (market too small) and very little for the 20ga.
    I usually shoot a 20ga with 28ga adapters over my dog as all the shots are close and generally rising away from me and 28ga is perfect. If I could have brought the gun in 28 I would have but when I brought it 11 years ago 28ga was not an option and neither was .410

Heres a good vid showing various hunting shot sizes at longer ranges.

https://youtu.be/PSw0PENfztY

Guys, I am keen on the tungsten option for 20 & 28 ga too. I believe there are two types of tungsten shell. I think tungsten matrix is ok for older guns but tungsten iron is only suitable for "steel proofed" guns. The tungsten option in #7 appears a mighty option for a .410 as well?
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Group buy?