Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Turkey shot placement with 22 lr or 12 gauge

Gone but not forgotten
    ive used 22lr with good success hv solids were best i found or win pp hp
    260 rem with 120gn was good at 315yrds n 330yrds aswell i only take breast meat off my turkeys have tried peacock yet
    Russian 22. likes this.

@JaSa is spot on about the peacocks. Very very wily birds. We have them here, took me and the wife 3 yrs to clean them out, the ever increasing range bit is 100% correct! Great fun and a good challenge. Left a couple for some future fun.

Yup peacock breast meat in the slow cooker is really good. Also the local marae, they will love the feathers for making kahu huruhuru.

Name:  F4383D66-54FE-44FF-8CB1-7708FD8FCE99.jpeg
Views: 838
Size:  2.80 MB
    Steve123 and Russian 22. like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    Starting to be wrong time of year for turkey meat. Depends on what you’re after. If want meat or effective reduction in numbers do it at night time. If sport/moving target/game daytime. If really want the meat, find there roosting areas then spotlight it. Head shot best. My boy uses a .410 with a laser pointer attached with 9 shot. Head/neck really effective. Otherwise .22 in head/neck. .17 HMR neck/base of neck. A body shot seems to ‘blow up’ on the feathers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah OK. Bit of a bummer.

The farmer hasn't really said anything about the numbers. He doesn't have license so he gets others to help out with his shooting. He grows maize so I think his crop might not be affected like it would be if he had paddocks.

I will have to practice my off hand shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    @JaSa is spot on about the peacocks. Very very wily birds. We have them here, took me and the wife 3 yrs to clean them out, the ever increasing range bit is 100% correct! Great fun and a good challenge. Left a couple for some future fun.

Yup peacock breast meat in the slow cooker is really good. Also the local marae, they will love the feathers for making kahu huruhuru.

Attachment 121740
    As a curry or normal chicken stock casserole?

Gone but not forgotten
    I would think peacocks could be devastating to a maize crop, pooks are bad enough, mongrels go along the rows pulling seedlings out to eat the seed, strip the cobs as they are maturing, breaking stems as they go, then rip holes in the silage cover once it's harvested.
    Russian 22. likes this.

I curry them @Russian 22. . You should marinade them in vinegar based curry sauce for a couple of days. Makes a huge difference.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Before turkeys were brought back to Europe from the americas peacocks filled the gap for a large upland bird so any European recipies for turkey probably started off for peacock originally.
    Russian 22. likes this.