Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Waihora geese bomb up

Nic

Waihora geese bomb up

252 geese on the deck for 5 shooters yesterday. Won't be topping that tally for a while. 422 geese down this month, has been unreal hunting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tahr, Brian, Rich007 and 16 others like this.

Great stuff. They need thinning out.

I see a lot of them up here in the NI. They are going to be a big problem in years to come (if not already)

Yea theres heaps of them up here. The population has grown quite fast

More geese than mallards where I hunt these days..

dairy farm irrigation ponds really suit these cunning huas to a T ....I see them using them all the time and a lot of places wont allow them to be shot..so geese just keep eating ,shitting and making baby gooses (to pinch/bastardise, line from Jaws)
    sharps no 1 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Breasting a goose only takes a few minute. Getting the legs off and bone out a few more minutes, then take the meat to your local butcher who will turn it into some of the best peperoni salami you have ever eaten. Also good to eat roasted or fan fried like steak. Delicious eating! You could feed the whole village with that lot, good shooting!

makes my couple look a bit sick
    mighthave another look thursday hope that was far side of the lake and you,ve driven them eastside

Nic
    Yeah heaps around. Think of how much grass all those suckers would have been eating every day.

I do eat them but this was the third hunt this month so the freezer was already pretty full and they'd been piled up in the sun so not ideal...

Wasn't actually on the lake just birds coming off the lake onto the green grass. Still plenty around for you gsp follower this won't even make a dent in the lake population really.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Years ago we joined the Katikati shooters Club. Biggest tally for the day was about 1300 swan. Now banned. Fishing saltwater guru says they are destroying the Tauranga Harbour habitat. Crazy. Swan are like wet concrete when dead and picking them out of the water. Nice tally.

Wonderful! I like eat geese, particularly is slow cooked with sauerkraut, it will be better if using Chinese sauer cabbage. You gents may enjoy the roasted more, but to get rid of those feathers will take about 30 minutes. Yeas back, I saw some in public land up north of Christchurch, but fishing & games notice board said that area only has very limited time frame for bird hunting.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

@Black Rabbit, the game bird season you saw on the sign is for duck shooting. Someone will know but I don't think there is a season for Canada geese.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    @Black Rabbit, the game bird season you saw on the sign is for duck shooting. Someone will know but I don't think there is a season for Canada geese.
    Yeah, I know the Canadian geese can be shot for all year round, but I remember it said access permit only for all the fishing and games, and birds hunting including geese in that area must follow the same rules. Maybe I remember it wrong, but it `s a good place.
    Name:  568.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  715.1 KB
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Nic
    No season no limit for Canada geese, has been that way for a while now
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

Nic
    But yeah you usually need a permit to hunt on public land. They're free and easy to get. Depending on where you either get it from DoC or Fish and Game.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    But yeah you usually need a permit to hunt on public land. They're free and easy to get. Depending on where you either get it from DoC or Fish and Game.
    I like geese, and I can cook it in many ways, even those feathers my wife has different ideas of using them, and the geese is one of the reason I moved from Akl to Chc. So, would you please share some information that where is good public land to hunt geese near Christchurch within 100km range? Thank you