Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Waikato News

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Small game Isn't under fish and games control is it?
    From scanning their web site I would say their "control" is limited to fish and game birds only. But if you see something with four legs flying, and it aint a pair of copulating ducks, I would exercise caution:>)

So the 3 shot thing is only while your hunting for game birds, after the season they can go back to full mags to shoot small game.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    So the 3 shot thing is only while your hunting for game birds, after the season they can go back to full mags to shoot small game.
    If I understand your question, (and i may not) my interpretation ( for what it is worth ), is that as F & G only have "control" over fish and game birds, when they refer to "game" they mean "Game birds" not the four legged variety of animals covered by the general term "Game".

It then follows that by stating, " ....no person shall hunt game with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells..."they mean game birds and you or I could wander around with our tubes stuffed with more than 3 shells as long as we were not "hunting Game Birds". The i.s.s.u.e. however, is proving when challenged by one of their "STASI" that we we had no intention of "hunting Game Birds" but were after weasels, politicians and other vermin.

That could prove very messy and difficult to prove in an area where "Game birds" could be encountered, I would only be carrying my O&U just to avoid such a messy confrontation but quite confident carrying the pump in an area where there were no "Game Birds" .

Presumably, if there were no Game Birds in that area I would not encounter a F&G Stasi, cos they would have no need to be there. ..................Perhaps .:>)
    Last edited by Kiwi Sapper; 17-03-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    EeeBees likes this.

I just realized I am retarded and read it wrong.

" ....no person shall hunt game with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells..."

I read this part as small game for some reason.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Er.......Did you follow the link? The matters arising from the December meeting actually says............" Total shotgun capacity set at a maximum of three shells – no person shall hunt game with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells unless it is plugged with a one piece filler which is incapable of removal without dissembling the gun".

That gives the impression, to me anyway, that it is now a fact. But I welcome comments accompanied by evidence pointing out that my impression is wrong.
    No it is a fact that guns must be pinned this season in akl Waikato region I did not say it wasn't . I meant to add nationwide to my comment about potential pinning same as the potential to have sub gauge lead banned nation wide as it will be down south in a couple of years.. I m sure that it could go that way if we dont let the guys at fish n game know we dont support some of their solutions as the best choice.Sorry about that ! My comments apply only to Akl Wai where plenty of us feel a little peeved at these changes ..
    Last edited by Happy; 17-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.

What Ho Happy,
    I am reassured by your concurrence about the 3 shell max. As one gets older one does ponder as to whether the perspicacity is still working and your reassurance is welcomed.

I have heard that the Eastern region has followed Akld/Waikato as well, but they get an extra days shooting.THey finish on Queens birthday Monday the 3 June,where as Akld/Waikato Sunday 2 June.If this is corect in what i have been told,then there is some real Fuckheads controling our sport

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikiwi View Post
    there is some real Fuckheads *killing* our sport

Fixed it
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwikiwi View Post
    I have heard that the Eastern region has followed Akld/Waikato as well, but they get an extra days shooting.THey finish on Queens birthday Monday the 3 June,where as Akld/Waikato Sunday 2 June.If this is corect in what i have been told,then there is some real Fuckheads controling our sport
    Yes you are correct . They at least dont have to make their shotguns pinned to three rounds like us in Akl Wai area. And you are right there are some funny things coming out from the C-ntrollers...

Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Yes you are correct . They at least dont have to make their shotguns pinned to three rounds like us in Akl Wai area. And you are right there are some funny things coming out from the C-ntrollers...
    Happy, not ALL shotties have to be 'pinned'....my Mossy 500 will have the dowel that came with it, put back in to reduce it to 2 in the mag, 1 up the spout!!!!!!

Went 3 weekends last year, on opening day we got 5 birds between the 8 of us, and the majority of those guys are excellent shots.....wont really affect us, as duck numbers are down on the Waikato were we shoot!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Happy, not ALL shotties have to be 'pinned'....my Mossy 500 will have the dowel that came with it, put back in to reduce it to 2 in the mag, 1 up the spout!!!!!!

Went 3 weekends last year, on opening day we got 5 birds between the 8 of us, and the majority of those guys are excellent shots.....wont really affect us, as duck numbers are down on the Waikato were we shoot!
    You are right.. Mates Mossie came with new with no pin dunno maybe shop removed it ?. I ummm took mine out of extrema went thats not goin back in there and poof gone ... Mates got used semi same thing. Yes you are correct though they usually come with them.
    Your opening day last year similar to ours but weather not duck related. Had 300 there on the Friday all jumped over the kaimais and rafted up along the mount to papamoa beach. We watched flight after flight go down the valley and over the hill
    at our end. Miles up and miles away. Agree theres few ducks as well though things have changed..
    My outlaws were watching them with binos as looked like a whale meeting first time they looked. They live on the beach Papamoa end and reckoned there were thousands of them. Mean time we got sunburnt as ...

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    excuse my ingnorance, but what is a F/G STASI

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    excuse my ingnorance, but what is a F/G STASI
    Recon its 'Fish & Game' Officer..........STASI were the East German state security....think Gestapo!

in other words 'a right shower of over officiating bastards!'.....
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Recon its 'Fish & Game' Officer..........STASI were the East German state security....think Gestapo!

in other words 'a right shower of over officiating bastards!'.....

You're on to it.......:>)

But I'm sure some of them are the nice guy that you would like your daughter to marry.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Hmm had a feeling it was cheap shot. I'm one of the gentlemen who offer's my spare time (not that there is a lot of it) on a Voluntary basis, so that the public who pay for their licences, get the benefit of having a Ranger in the field checking that everyone is playing by the same rules. It must be nice for you to be out there enjoying yourself and a F/G Staci comes along to check you in a professional and efficient manner. He/ She then goes on to check others, so that you now know that the guy next to you has also paid and is not bludging of your licence payment. If it wasn't for us Stasi's your licence fee would be a lot more exspensive and there would be more offence's committed. Wouldn't realy be worth buying a licence as everything would be poached or nonexistant. Us Stasi's also give out useful information and advise on how you can improve your Hunting/ fishing efforts. Whilst working voluntary as a Stasi I have provideed emergency medical support and treatment on three different occasions, have pulled vehicles out of ditches, have towed boats and looked for lost luved ones. F/G are not Government funded, but rely soley on the money gained by licence revenue. If you don't agree with some of their policies and I don't always do. I do something constructive about it. I make informed submissions on what could possibly a better alternative. I have a Daughter, who one day, one would hope, will get married. If she brings home someone who has the depth in him to be involved insome form of community or voluntary work, I would welcome him with open arms. Currently my Voluntary Stasi work consists of:
    Fish and Game Ranger
    Local Rual Fire Chief
    Local Coast Gaurd, SARS search advisor
    Emergency Medic
    Civil defence co-ordinator
    Justice of the Peace
    As well as a number of other roles, including helping others on this, and another forum, with Tinnitus issues. So while you are out in the field or at home playing tin soldier's, spare a thought for those like me who sacrifice time and money, to be a service to others. For the record both of my kids are active in the Rural Volunteer Fire Service as well as being members of a Surf Life saving Club. Stasi's what ever, at least not Crunchie the Clown in a wannabe military outfit. oops lost it the end
    Last edited by Gapped axe; 20-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.
    Snuffit likes this.