Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Whats your solutions to the duck decline?

Quote Originally Posted by 30calterry View Post
    we need to get duck shooters to have the same mind set as fisherman.when was the last time u heard a fisher brag about geting more than there limit or taking undersize fish?in fact most i fish with impose there own limits size and amount . has probably been the result of heavy policing and people lossing cars/boats but it has worked . maybe fish and game should use there fish officer resources to police duckshooting insteed of the local game officer who does what he can.
    30calterry, all due respect to you, I do not see why duckshooters SHOULD HAVE to be policed in this manner...most have the nouse to understand that every mummy and daddy duck you take out of the equation is less ducklings...good old Mother Commonsense as far as I can see.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Commonsense
    Whats that word?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats that word?
    Its not that common Toby
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    30calterry, all due respect to you, I do not see why duckshooters SHOULD HAVE to be policed in this manner...most have the nouse to understand that every mummy and daddy duck you take out of the equation is less ducklings...good old Mother Commonsense as far as I can see.
    so you hav neva heard old duck shooters on established ponds say they get 80/100 opening morning ,i have and when challenged on it they think its their right and others r just bad shooters or we dont know what we are doing or we r jealous ! all due respect eb but if we walk around with our heads in the clouds sayn it doesnt happen and do nothing then thats what we will have!

Ejected
    Pull up here 30c and ask what the limits are in some places. Then realize they can have a limit by 9 and away home leaving all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Pull up here 30c and ask what the limits are in some places. Then realize they can have a limit by 9 and away home leaving all the rest.
    so you hav neva heard a duck shooter say they hav shot over their limit?
    Last edited by 30calterry; 05-03-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Ejected
    Done it myself.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Whats that word?
    Not surprised that someone as young as you hasn't heard of common sense Toby. Unfortunately it died several years ago. Here is the obituary for it

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, why life isn't always fair, and how, on occasion, maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children are in charge) .

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know my Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm a Victim
    gadgetman, EeeBees, mikee and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Done it myself.
    and whats two reasons u wouldnt take an undersize snapper hm and if u do what is the main thought u have as u pull off the boat ramp in your or your mates car /boat apart from where the chilly bin im out of beer shit its in the boat
    Last edited by 30calterry; 06-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Yep. A wise person someplace woke up to the the idea that not only our offshore fisheries were getting done over (and still are I m sure) but
    also that the shorelines and just offshore were suffering a battering by folks just taking too many fish.
    When living in Wellington we spent every fine weekend ( 2 to 3 a year sometimes he he ) on the boat and always saw a certain type of person filling sacks with as many shellfish as they could
    (This 20+ years ago around Port Rd area) Well now they wouldnt get away with it. People do not fish like that unless they are prepared to loose their boats,cars etc.
    We ve been pulled up at Cooks Beach and checked at 6.30 am returning after an all nighter at the Mercs and not just once.
    Go to the Thames Mussel barges to fish you get stopped at the ramp 9 out of 10 times now.
    Its had education and resources thrown at it and also good publised cases where fines and confiscations have been imposed.

They have put a lot of effort into it. Where do you get handed decals for your Mai Mai with bird identifcation, numbers allowed etc like the one you see on most boats freely issued at the
    ramps as part of the education process? Our fishing club gives them away at the monthly comp most years plus sizes are slightly higher there than the legal ones to weigh in.

Hard to police duck shooters for sure but IMO its time. Nail the guys taking too many. Educate everyone as to why. Its so the next generation have a sport left to engage in.
    I too hear the stories of 100 to 300 between 2 to 3 shooters. In reality a 22 year old said to me at a motocross event two weeks ago they have their 1st ton of maise round the pond
    Got the 2nd one ready to go. Should get 200 + plus on opening morning between two of them. Very accomplished shooters he scores 96 out of 100 clay shooting and competes from time to time.
    I simply said thats wrong how long do you think you re gonna be albe to do that for ? and he spat the dummy. Wanted a fight and got really loud. His missus had to take him away as she knew he was on the road
    to nowhere with me. Buts thats the attuitude. Catch those foccers.Take their guns. Take their vehicles Ban them from Duck Shooting for a year or two.Take their fire arms licences.
    They are unfit to have a license as they are breaking the law with it.

A rant but things need to change with all the enviromental changes we cant change this is one thing we could if some resource was thrown at it.

Rushy you forgot Commonsenses other stepbrother - I want it now. '
    You know him when you see him, he's the one standing hanging round the WINZ office because he is too important to actually work.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Ejected
    Can't feed fish and give them the right environment, we look after the ducks a lot in our area. FAR more than f&g ever has, and this also goes for a lot of other people I know. All f&g does is put their hands into our pockets.

In shore fishing, now that is a curly one. But then I've been on the bridge of a sealords boat when they were bitching about have trouble picking up salmon with the electronics. All highly illegal.... What more inshore fish? Tell them to fuck off.

Yep you are on the money there HAPPY with the guys that shoot 100 to 200 bird on opening weekend.I suppose they chuck them in the offal bin afterwards cause one can not eat that many birds.Its the old story that FG are not on the game.Im sure they can track these guys down as there addresses are on there licences but yet again the probably do'nt have one.You just have to watch some of it on youtube of the slaughter
    Happy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    As we've been bagged in Southland for our approach I'm interested in what you guys think is the answer? I won't be replying in here, just viewing for the hope of some new found knowledge
    Research. Info is needed before decisions can be made. Transmitters on ducks? (ie like Sika research) I believe Eastern F&G have started this.
    Hunter participation. Involve hunters more. Hunters with a "buy-in" will give a lot more info. As others have said, fisheries have a much better participation by law abiding fishermen. They report poaching etc. Bring back the hunters bag diaries. Although you will get some useful info, I suspect the bigger benefit will be a sense of belonging to a F&G area. Like most bosses know, employees who are involved in the business and decision making (or at least consulted) are much more likely to be more productive and happy. I know most of us are apathetic, but you owe it to the fish and game to get our opinions etc. Everybody has an opinion/suggestion.
    Ranging. Don't send rangers to the balloted areas (like where I shoot), unless you hear of over harvesting (you should know which places shoot best). I get checked every year, and it annoys me to think we are just easy targets, and no fear of conflict. Check the big private ponds etc - thats where the over harvesting occurs. Get tough on these bastards.
    Finally, thanks for trying something ie.this thread. We need more councillors who will be prepared to get a blast from the public. At least we care enough to reply to you, and obviously you take your role seriously.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Research. Info is needed before decisions can be made. Transmitters on ducks? (ie like Sika research) I believe Eastern F&G have started this.
    Hunter participation. Involve hunters more. Hunters with a "buy-in" will give a lot more info. As others have said, fisheries have a much better participation by law abiding fishermen. They report poaching etc. Bring back the hunters bag diaries. Although you will get some useful info, I suspect the bigger benefit will be a sense of belonging to a F&G area. Like most bosses know, employees who are involved in the business and decision making (or at least consulted) are much more likely to be more productive and happy. I know most of us are apathetic, but you owe it to the fish and game to get our opinions etc. Everybody has an opinion/suggestion.
    Ranging. Don't send rangers to the balloted areas (like where I shoot), unless you hear of over harvesting (you should know which places shoot best). I get checked every year, and it annoys me to think we are just easy targets, and no fear of conflict. Check the big private ponds etc - thats where the over harvesting occurs. Get tough on these bastards.
    Finally, thanks for trying something ie.this thread. We need more councillors who will be prepared to get a blast from the public. At least we care enough to reply to you, and obviously you take your role seriously.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.