Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gkp
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Where to shoot ducks near Queenstown

Where to shoot ducks near Queenstown

I apologise if this has been asked before.
    As someone that is new to this sport I am struggling to figure out where exactly I can go to try and shoot a duck or two on opening weekend. With no private land permission.
    It doesn’t seem quite as obvious as using doc hunting blocks to hunt deer etc.
    I am not asking for a specific location but more an explanation. Can you literally just get yourself set up on any public body of water? Fish and game mention various rivers but they seem to mostly pass through private land.

You can get DOC permits for game bird shooting in some (DOC administrated) public wetlands. It's a case by case basis I think.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Gkp
    Queenstown Gardens. There is heaps of them !

Ive asked same question myself....the answer I got...and the one I go by is..yes you can shoot on public waterways....as long as you dont upset/disturb/frighten people...and thats the fly in ointment finding somewhere remote enough yet still acessable to be able to do it... if your a km from nearest house and there is no walkway alongside river USUALLY you are ok...however if its private land bordering river on either or both sides,seeking permission is advisable..at least letting cockie know is also advisable.
    there are a few spots along local creeks I will wander without asking but doing the ask first on another had led to permission to shoot paddocks as well...so definately let cockie know when Im coming for wander....just a text to say,dogs looking at me again will be shooting along river .
    never been a problem doing that.
    when lived in ashburton we set up in middle of riverbed about 10km upstream from town and did ok with nothing more than birds trading up n down river.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

MB
    F&G may have a list of locations in your area. There is an etiquette around maimais and tagged spots.

Thanks for the helpful reply’s. I feel like have exhausted fish and games resources. They’ll list river names but my sticking point is more where on these rivers is OK.
    For example, could you just walk up the Rees or Dart from a bridge or from Glenorchy?
    I have seen that Diamond and Reid lake are public hunting but I imagine people will already have occupied that area and you would just be pissing them off turning up on opening morning.
    Maybe the gardens is worth a try..!

Gkp
    The Rees is private with an easement over it so that won't work. Plenty of Canadian Geese up the likes of Greenstone but the river flats down the lower stretch where I've seen them is also private but you could call the run holder and ask as they are in large numbers and need to be culled.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bosh View Post
    Thanks for the helpful reply’s. I feel like have exhausted fish and games resources. They’ll list river names but my sticking point is more where on these rivers is OK.
    For example, could you just walk up the Rees or Dart from a bridge or from Glenorchy?
    I have seen that Diamond and Reid lake are public hunting but I imagine people will already have occupied that area and you would just be pissing them off turning up on opening morning.
    Maybe the gardens is worth a try..!
    they list rivers..go ASK them directly where is ok..take a map..a paper one and a highlighting pen...Morgan is a good bugger and should be able t opoint you in right direction...also these lakes,leave for couple of weeks then go sit in unoccupied maimai after 7-8 in morning and see whats what and what flies where...if you see pond from road..suck it up and go ask politely (I know Im far to shy to do that but it works) you never know your luck,you may just be right person on right day when cockie is in right mood.
    fish n game are paid through our licence fees go pester the shit out of them and get our moneys worth...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've found F&G staff super helpful if you pop in and say gidday. I'm new to it (well getting back into it after a nearly 20 year break) and have discovered finding a possie takes quite a bit of time and is really an off season task.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

bosh -as youve left your run fairly late heres an idea .it may or may not work .consider politely asking some of the good local buggers on here if they could assist either by taking you out opening w/e or in other ways .If it does come to fruitition make the most of it and offer to assist if required.Again sit back and absorb the wisdom on display and dont be afraid to ask questions if and when appropriate .I did this when i first took up canada goose hunting and needless to say even today my tuto rand mentor and i are stil lshooting together with a great crowd . Enjoy.
    Micky Duck likes this.