Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By AMac
  • 1 Post By Black Rabbit
  • 1 Post By Gibo

Thread: Been a long time fishing, got questions for the pros.

Been a long time fishing, got questions for the pros.

Hello all. got a few questions for the pros.
    1. What are the coloured balls and beads for that some people put on their finishing rigs?
    2. How do I work out the cast weight for a rod? I bought a Fishtech 6'6" boat/spin rod combo with 20lb line but doesn't say on the rod the max cast weight.
    3. Best rig for beach fishing with a surfcaster and the boat/spin rod?
    4. is 150m of line enough for beach finishing with a boat/spin rod?
    5. Does fishoil help?
    6. does anyone use cone shaped floats when fishing?
    thanks
    Last edited by Three O'Three; 23-03-2024 at 11:22 PM.

What’s the prize for 6 correct answers?
    Black Rabbit likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    1. What are the coloured balls and beads for that some people put on their finishing rigs?
    2. How do I work out the cast weight for a rod? I bought a Fishtech 6'6" boat/spin rod combo with 20lb line but doesn't say on the rod the max cast weight.
    5. Does fishoil help?
    thanks
    let you tube and google be your friend lots and lots and lots of tutorials on you tube on this subject

If by fishoil you mean “secret sauce” yes it does on kabura type lures and even soft baits
    Three O'Three likes this.

Everyone has their preferences and methods,
    you just have to try and see what works in your area, time and style.

I'm not a pro but here are my 2c
    1. I didn't use any
    2. depends on the area, my area has lots of seaweed and I like 40lb min,
    leader min at 50lb and rod weight I say 8 - 15kg
    3. Start with something cheap or what you have and you will know what you need over time.
    4. fill the spool until the line is just under the lip of the reel spool.
    5. Debatable
    6. Not me
    Yeah like Barry the hunter mentioned, try Google and youtube
    they are my teachers for almost everything.

agree with Snap 4T your question is so broad what are you going to target and in what sort of water - all good successful fisherman develop a method specifically for what they want to catch - my method for big kingis of the rocks land based is very different to my method on snapper of a beach - you are going to be limited to what you can do with your spin outfit - simply because your casting distance will be limited - but in saying that you could say spin a river mouth for kahawai with it - or wharf fish with it - if you can be a little more specific on what you want to do I am sure we could help more cheers hot lines

1 to look like fish row or glows in dark to say...here I am eat me.
    2try it and see...held out it should have slight bend but not excessive.
    3 what you have on hand...plenty of pretied rigs to try..then copy if work.
    sinker on end or running rig would be my two to try first...shit loads of BOOKS with rigs for each n every species in them were around in the 80s.
    4 150mtrs is enough unless big fish goes 175mtrs
    5 stops car rusting lol....
    6 someone does or shops wouldnt sell them.....if you rig them right they tip upwards to tell you getting bites...folks been using them forever on small fish.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

5. Does fishoil help?
    thanks
    Here is my experience to your questions:

Q1: I do `t know what you mean?
    Q2: If it `s for boat fishing 20lbs line, roughly the cast weight should be around 25g
    Q3: Depends on the length of your rod and the water depth, if you got a 2,7m rod with 0.6line then you can cast out of 80m.
    Q4: No, I use 250m
    Q5: Never used
    Q6: I use it for piper
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

1) like most things, it ups the sales …that is it catchs fisherman at the tackle shop.
    2) I’d go light as above 1 or 2 oz…plus bait …or a lure up to 40 grms ..kentic energy whilst casting will pop 20 lb like cotton
    3) depends on the beach, heavy gravel , sand , rocks , sea weed abundance ..and what your fishing for.
    4) reel capacity …your reel should have recommended capacity, a full reel creates less drag when casting, but a over full reel will spill line causing a cluster fuck.
    5) I fish bait , so not sure, but apparently 65% of a fish’s senses are smell so if your lure fishing ..adding fish oil maybe productive …but is it considered cheating…perhaps ask @Shearer!
    6, not in a saltwater situation.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    1) like most things, it ups the sales …that is it catchs fisherman at the tackle shop.
    2) I’d go light as above 1 or 2 oz…plus bait …or a lure up to 40 grms ..kentic energy whilst casting will pop 20 lb like cotton
    3) depends on the beach, heavy gravel , sand , rocks , sea weed abundance ..and what your fishing for.
    4) reel capacity …your reel should have recommended capacity, a full reel creates less drag when casting, but a over full reel will spill line causing a cluster fuck.
    5) I fish bait , so not sure, but apparently 65% of a fish’s senses are smell so if your lure fishing ..adding fish oil maybe productive …but is it considered cheating…perhaps ask @Shearer!
    6, not in a saltwater situation.
    Depends on the fish. Some are primarily sight feeders (kingfish) and some are 99% sent feeders (spiny dog fish). So if you want to catch dogfish definitely put oil on your lures.
    As for casting weights, get a few different ones and practice on a sports field or similar. You will soon be able to tell if there is too little or too much load on the rod for casting.
    If you are starting off beach fishing, keep it simple. A basic ledger rig (with bait) and go try your luck. As for the amount of line needed, you will have fun finding out you don't have enough.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

1. What are the coloured balls and beads for that some people put on their finishing rigs? Some are floats to keep the bait off the floor to avoid crabs - glow beads to attract fish
    2. How do I work out the cast weight for a rod? I bought a Fishtech 6'6" boat/spin rod combo with 20lb line but doesn't say on the rod the max cast weight. being only 6'6" it will cast plenty
    3. Best rig for beach fishing with a surfcaster and the boat/spin rod? Just stick to a short ledger rig
    4. is 150m of line enough for beach finishing with a boat/spin rod?Depends how far you cast and what takes your line
    5. Does fishoil help? Secret sauce goes well on soft baits
    6. does anyone use cone shaped floats when fishing?Used for live baiting generally
    thanks
    My 2 cents
    Three O'Three likes this.