Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

Like Tree5460Likes

Thread: Catch Any Trout Today?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    @Danny

Lake Rotorua stream to be closed to fishing for the coming season

Fish & Game are advising anglers of two changes to the fishing regulations for the Eastern Region which will take effect from October 1, 2016 – the start of the new fishing season.

The Awahou Stream, a tributary of Lake Rotorua, will be designated 'closed waters' in the Angler’s Notice – which means that trout fishing will be prohibited upstream of the Awahou’s junction with Lake Rotorua.

The change results from a submission to the Eastern Fish and Game Council from Ngati Rangiwewehi members who live alongside the stream and own the adjoining land and the private access road to the stream mouth.

Eastern Fish and Game Council had publicly notified the proposal and consulted with anglers prior to making the decision.

Eastern Fish & Game Manager Andy Garrick says the closure will bring a number of benefits.

“Firstly, we recognise the local community’s growing concern over social issues – including thefts, conflicts between individuals, and the presence of undesirable elements, including poachers.”

The closure would help address what locals have described as health and safety issues, and make the stream a safer place for children and family groups, Mr Garrick says.

“The stream is now targeted by poachers every summer and has become a “hot spot” for us, sparking frequent callouts for our ranging staff.

“The closure to angling will mean anyone seen fishing there can readily be identified as breaching the regulations.”

Mr Garrick says that naturally the trout would benefit as well.

“Closing this section of the Awahou Stream will provide a cold water refuge for trout stressed by Lake Rotorua’s rising water temperatures in summer, which drive fish in search of cooler water.”

“But it’s important that anglers note they will still be able to access and fish Lake Rotorua downstream of the landmark pole, where there are ample fishing opportunities through the summer months,” he adds.

The second change focuses on winter shoreline fishing on Lake Okataina. This area is to be extended by moving the western landmark pole further to the west (away from the lodge).

This will provide further room and opportunity for anglers during the winter period when the lake levels are low, Mr Garrick says.

The angling regulation-setting process is undertaken annually, and allows for the Eastern Fish and Game Council to hear submissions and recommend alterations to the fishing ‘rules and regs’ to the Minister of Conservation who makes the final call. A full review is carried out every second year.

“We try to consult as widely as possible on these changes and always encourage anglers to have their say.”

A video of how popular the Awahou has been can be found on the youtube link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxZ5U4W4Ds
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caught a few freshies on the tongariro yesterday morning.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  207.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  205.6 KB

Went to Twizel for work this week.
    Finally got a chance to try out a few different techniques in the hydro canals.
    Got out early before work and late afternoon after work.
    Caught these 3 on the fist day.
    Caught the 2 browns just on sunrise and the rainbow about 30 minutes after dark in the evening.

Attachment 53343

Very low flows in all the canals so no one was catching fish during the day.
    I managed to fish in four different locations and tried some different techniques also.

Ended up with 5 decent fish.
    Lost a few and had one nearly empty the spool before the hook straightened and it was off.

Then the snow started Wednesday morning and the crane job for the day was cancelled, fished for an hour and lost a good one then had to leave and get out of the high country as there was 50mm of snow and falling very fast.
    bomber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Went to Twizel for work this week.
    Finally got a chance to try out a few different techniques in the hydro canals.
    Got out early before work and late afternoon after work.
    Caught these 3 on the fist day.
    Caught the 2 browns just on sunrise and the rainbow about 30 minutes after dark in the evening.

Attachment 53343

Very low flows in all the canals so no one was catching fish during the day.
    I managed to fish in four different locations and tried some different techniques also.

Ended up with 5 decent fish.
    Lost a few and had one nearly empty the spool before the hook straightened and it was off.

Then the snow started Wednesday morning and the crane job for the day was cancelled, fished for an hour and lost a good one then had to leave and get out of the high country as there was 50mm of snow and falling very fast.

Name:  P1030895.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  1.01 MB
    Dundee, Munsey, Sean and 1 others like this.

After some advice lads, hope to head to lake Rotoroa in Nelson lakes National Park for a hunt shortly and thought I would splash out on a day lisence for trout also.

Would have to use my softbait rod I guess would be the only thing I have even remotely suitable so what should I be looking at for a casting lure?
    Id say it would need a bit of weight to it to cast very far.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    After some advice lads, hope to head to lake Rotoroa in Nelson lakes National Park for a hunt shortly and thought I would splash out on a day lisence for trout also.

Would have to use my softbait rod I guess would be the only thing I have even remotely suitable so what should I be looking at for a casting lure?
    Just go get a small selection of spinners VC. You'll be right.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If you are fishing a lake with no snags, I would recommend 10gm lures. Most sport shops will sell them. Toby lures come in that weight but 7gm would probably do also.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    If you are fishing a lake with no snags, I would recommend 10gm lures. Most sport shops will sell them. Toby lures come in that weight but 7gm would probably do also.
    What about this sort of thing but obviously a lot lot smaller?

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

And what sort of speed retreive? Trout are lazy buggers yes?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River

Yep that'd be the go as well. Just get some Rapala lures.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

That will work,trout take nearly any shit. I caught one once on a tale dag from a cow and just got my boy to add a hook.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t-starter-939/
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Get 7gm to 10 gm for lake fishing.
    CFD

alright cheers guys,will go to the fat pricks green shop on sat for a look.

I've never caught one with a Rapala lure @veitnamcam but that's just me.. maybe get some enticer lures for a lake can get upto 12gr lures or just get the tried and true mepp black fury size 3 is 7 gram

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    I've never caught one with a Rapala lure @veitnamcam but that's just me.. maybe get some enticer lures for a lake can get upto 12gr lures or just get the tried and true mepp black fury size 3 is 7 gram

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I think I will just go for the heaviest the shop recommends, its got to pull out 20pound florocarbon leader and 20p braid which is a bit like going rabbit shooting with a 416rigby I guess but thats the lightest gear I own.
    bomber likes this.