Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree5460Likes

Thread: Catch Any Trout Today?

MB
    We normally cure (gravad lax) or smoke our trout. Occasionally, oven bake.
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Some of you catch a lot of trout. What's your preferred method of preparation and cooking? I asked a while back, but it would be good to update.
    Pan fried in butter, sprinkling of salt n pepper with a side of Cole slaw. We get farmed ones here and that's how I like those. with skin, actually skin is the best part, it gets crispy and taste great.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Inder View Post
    Pan fried in butter, sprinkling of salt n pepper with a side of Cole slaw. We get farmed ones here and that's how I like those. with skin, actually skin is the best part, it gets crispy and taste great.
    I grew up eating trout cooked just like that. After a decade of good eating saltwater fish, I can barely stand trout now, but I'm trying as I still enjoy trout trout fishing when opportunity allows.
    Inder likes this.

Nice chunky 3lb jack from yesterdays night fishing mission
    Name:  received_1230496501070330.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  142.1 KB

Banned
    I bought some new Braid for the spinning rod yesterday. Daiwa Tournament Evo X8. Spooled it up last night, it is unbelievable just so smooth like finest silk. 0.14mm 10.2 kg
    Havent fished it but I could tell straight away it is going to be something special - ran the whole 150 metres out through long grass etc and there was zero resistance to wind in, had to run it through a folded towel to get a little tension on the reel
    wsm junkie, Dundee, MB and 1 others like this.

Banned
    So to add to my last post: Had a few casts in a paddock with a very small weight. The braid performed faultlessly with easy long casts. Bounced the weight on retrieve to produce slack, no loops or twists just laid on perfectly. It has a silicone coating which is what makes it so slippery.
    For comparison 9kg spider wire 0.23mm. Dragon hybrid flourocarbon mono ( seriously thin for mono ) 5kg 0.20mm and the Evo x8 10.2kg 0.14mm

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    So to add to my last post: Had a few casts in a paddock with a very small weight. The braid performed faultlessly with easy long casts. Bounced the weight on retrieve to produce slack, no loops or twists just laid on perfectly. It has a silicone coating which is what makes it so slippery.
    For comparison 9kg spider wire 0.23mm. Dragon hybrid flourocarbon mono ( seriously thin for mono ) 5kg 0.20mm and the Evo x8 10.2kg 0.14mm
    My new Daiwa trout reel came spooled with same stuff. Was recommended by supplier of rod and reel. Mind you I guess they had a vested interest in!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    My new Daiwa trout reel came spooled with same stuff. Was recommended by supplier of rod and reel. Mind you I guess they had a vested interest in!!
    Was it the Evo 8 or J 8 ?
    I put it on a Stradic which at the time I got it I think were better than Daiwa reels but now I reckon Daiwa has edged out Shimano, certainly a Daiwa is better value for the money

Was it the Evo 8 or J 8 ?
    I put it on a Stradic which at the time I got it I think were better than Daiwa reels but now I reckon Daiwa has edged out Shimano, certainly a Daiwa is better value for the money
    This stuff Daiwa Evo+ Tournament X8 18.8lb its bloody thin
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    This stuff Daiwa Evo+ Tournament X8 18.8lb its bloody thin
    Thats the stuff, only I got the 22.4 lb stuff. I reckon @Dundee needs some too

Thats the stuff, only I got the 22.4 lb stuff. I reckon @Dundee needs some too
    Ha ha still waiting for the bloody river to clear,seem to get one clear river day a month since May. Hopefully on for the weekend.
    Name:  1917341_1166362875763_311591_n.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  35.6 KB
    Moa Hunter and Black Rabbit like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I bought some new Braid for the spinning rod yesterday. Daiwa Tournament Evo X8. Spooled it up last night, it is unbelievable just so smooth like finest silk. 0.14mm 10.2 kg
    Havent fished it but I could tell straight away it is going to be something special - ran the whole 150 metres out through long grass etc and there was zero resistance to wind in, had to run it through a folded towel to get a little tension on the reel
    @Moa Hunter do you attach the braid directly to lure/spinner or do you have a section of mono/fluro from the braid to hook?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    @Moa Hunter do you attach the braid directly to lure/spinner or do you have a section of mono/fluro from the braid to hook?
    Attach a piece of mono about 1.6 mtrs to the braid using this knot : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddZwavVtIpI. Then tie directly to the mono or better use a Dragon clip - these are tiny little clips like a miniature version of the clip on a swivel clip.
    This braid is very fine so I had to bulk out the spool with mono - tie the braid to the empty spool, wind it on and then join it to some old mono, keep winding on the mono until spool is correctly filled, cut the mono. Then take it all off, tie the mono end to the spool ( reversing the line end for end) and wind on so the spool is full and the braid is on top. Next fishing season run the braid out and cut the mono - braid join and turn the braid around and rejoin to the mono so the unused section (new) is on top and the fish section of braid is down at the mono
    wsm junkie likes this.

Bloody hell @Moa Hunter.....6lb mono is all we need here
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Bloody hell @Moa Hunter.....6lb mono is all we need here
    He says until a fish throws the poorly set hook, on a long cast of stretchy mono.
    Dragon mono 3.3 kg = 0.16mm. Maxima 6lb mono 0.22mm. Diawa 22lb braid 0.14mm no stretch

You only live twice Dundee
    Dundee likes this.