Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: cray winch advise

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar

cray winch advise

Today I have installed a cray winch onto the starboard side of my 6.1 meter Hard top Ali. I have a dual battery system,one for my house set and 1 for my motor. They are linked thru some kind of unit that will automaticlly switch over to which ever battery is low and charge it. The concept is that if i'm out at the Mercurys Islands, I can run my house set for my interier and cockpit LEDs light and then next day switch to motor battery and be able to get home. I can also switch to both batteries and these can be used at the same time if required. Thats my set up, pretty cool and I hope one day soon I can stay out there for a night and have some fun with fishing under the lights for bait and flyng fish. Here is my question, probably aimed a @mikee or @Gatgetman. I have run my wires to the main motor battery and intend to have the motor running whilst using the hauler. Would you put and inline fuse in to protect my electrics or just leave it. A fairly average lifting capacity of around 90kg
    900watts
    90kg lift maximum
    hauling speed 35m/min
    I have relised that my days as a diver both commercially and recreationly are well over, so I would love to do a bit of crayfish potting before I leave this world. Actually once Chemo and duckshooting weekends are over I intend to go to the batch and spend 3 or 4 days at a time up there. Just got to move my business on or get somone to work it. It has taken me ages to realise that your greatest wealth is your health so dont leave it to long for the fun part as I have done.
    Tahr, rugerman, stingray and 1 others like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

My suggestion would a circuit breaker rather than fuse.

In mine, the breaker for the anchor winch is right next to the dual battery switch (VSR) , which is in the same compartment as the motor battery. Only motor and anchor winch off the motor battery.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I try really hard to avoid the electrical stuff and stick with electronics but....
    I assume the hauler is single direction?? a resetable breaker might be best I am guessing 75-80amps miniumum so it will still blow over / but not at max load.
    Run extra heavy battery cable to it as you need to minimise voltage drop thru the cable.
    Something like this for example
    resetable breaker no Idea of quality

Sounds like you have a VSR fitted. They are a good thing but my motor has 2 charger outputs so one goes to each batter and both charged independently.

Does any of that help
    stingray likes this.

Recently had a capstan put into dads boat for the anckor, resetable breaker waterproof inline as close to battery as practical.
    The breaker itself was well over 100 bucks from memory.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

yeah its been wired with big muma wiring, and only the motor and hauler running offthe motor battery it. I also have a capstan that also might be in that loop as well. will check on that. on reflection I dont remeber seeing another large cable to my motor battery so that may be off my house set. will pick up a circuit breaker tomorrow and wire that in to the hauler loom.Are they adjustable and if not what size would anyone recomend. The circuit breaker looks like tha go, a better option than a fuse.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

should read abit better thank you for the advise and aswering my questions yes its a VSR unit. the hauler is a 2 way operation both up and down
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    yeah its been wired with big muma wiring, and only the motor and hauler running offthe motor battery it. I also have a capstan that also might be in that loop as well. will check on that. on reflection I dont remeber seeing another large cable to my motor battery so that may be off my house set. will pick up a circuit breaker tomorrow and wire that in to the hauler loom.Are they adjustable and if not what size would anyone recomend. The circuit breaker looks like tha go, a better option than a fuse.
    I would suggest a 100Amp breaker (resetable so you are not looking for fuses if it trips at an awkward time) but the installation instructions should . might specify the breaker rating . If its both directions then the breaker should go in the main motor feed. make sure its protected but handy to get at quickly
    Once its all working and you have tested it spray some soft seal on any exposed terminals.
    All the connector lugs should be crimped with the proper tool. (I don't have one big enough for these types of lugs but any sparkie should have one) I only have little ones
    Beaker likes this.

Yeah I borrowed a crimp tool of a Sparky friend. Will put the circuit right by my main switch which is very accessible and also next to my batteries.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Blue Sea Systems? Will have looksee and see hwere they are and how they are trading at the moment
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

The one I brought is called response, I got it from Jaycar. It looks just like the one in the attachment from Mikee. $40.00, so reasonable I guess by the time the money is converted and couriered here, looks the bees knees. The main reason was it was here now and I can install it.
    mikee likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Thanks for that. There goes my confidence ha ha.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    The one I brought is called response, I got it from Jaycar. It looks just like the one in the attachment from Mikee. $40.00, so reasonable I guess by the time the money is converted and couriered here, looks the bees knees. The main reason was it was here now and I can install it.
    Quite often in my industry thats exactly what happens, now is good and right now is better. I think you will be OK

One thing I can quantee, and that is it will last my life time ha ha
    Tahr and stingray like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"