Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Fish finder/chart plotter

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    And if ya going to use it in a split screen mode don't get the 7 inch model. Unless you have the eyes of an eagle. I'm gonna upgrade the head unit to 12 inches. I have a garmin
    Was out with Tony Orman (charter) and he had a garmin, the thing was huge., 36 in?. Bloody awesome. Mine 9in, and split is fine.
    Next boat though, I'm getting bigger. Even on a trailer boat, makes it so much easier to see/operate.

Also, the simrad has a free app called 'link'. It let's you control it from your phone or tablet. The big win for this, is you can have a cheap tablet on top of your bait board, so when fishing off the back you can see what's happening..
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

I imagine you will be fishing Jackson’s Bay/Hokitika Trench so quite deep water.

If you want to target Puka and Blue Nose you will need a 1kw transducer, that means you will need a 1kw capable unit to run it.

Dedicated sounder and value for money would be the Furuno 585 + TM260. Still $3000 off the shelf, but they come up on trade me and often prizes in game fishing tournaments so a few new ones get listed.

I still use my iPad with Navionics, same as any sounder but a 10.5’ screen and don’t need cell reception.

I quite like the look of some of the Garmin units.

Bay Marine electronics have a few good vids
    m101a1 likes this.

I have a garmin echomap 95sv plus. Side scan isn't worth it in my opinion. The chart and fish finder combo is great though. Easy to use. Only fairly shallow depth range with the factory gt52 transducer.

Furuno or Simrad with a 1kw Chirp transducer seems to be where its at for deep water or game fish.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

I have no experience with side scan but I think it would be great for finding rocks/turf to dive?

I really thought furunos fish size thing would be a gimmick but if you see some bait and it marks some fish hunting it at 98cm or 105cm and you hook up it is that size within a couple cm....unbelievable but it just works.

Bottom discrimination is also great and is how I hunt my fish......yes you can learn to read any sounder for bottom type but how many years will that take you.

Something like my setup would really suit you in close 100m or less but you have all that deep water so close it would be a shame to handicap yourself.

Big transducer.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    I have a garmin echomap 95sv plus. Side scan isn't worth it in my opinion. The chart and fish finder combo is great though. Easy to use. Only fairly shallow depth range with the factory gt52 transducer.

Furuno or Simrad with a 1kw Chirp transducer seems to be where its at for deep water or game fish.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Deep water (over 500m ) would be a FCV295 or FCV1150 with 38 Khz transducer. Budget about $10k
    Most commonly used sounder on Small commercial vessels.
    FCV588 + 1KW transducer would do as stand alone fish finder (about $3699 is new at a guess)
    New TZT with built in 1KW sounder and TM260 would also do
    Stingray has one of these
    Name:  Stingray.JPG
Views: 564
Size:  77.8 KB
    But I have not herd if he likes it yet?? and Cam has the Earlier non touch screen model.

Touchscreen is a pain in small boats underway................Personally I would buy a standalone sounder like a FCV588 and a DB7 to use as a plotter if I had the budget.
    I have a Navnet VX2, Radar Plotter Sounder and TM258 in my boat which has not moved in over 12 months now
    Unless you are fishing deep more than 80% of your time then a P66 600w transducer is best value and best performance for general fishing
    I seem many people buy the 1KW ones (We dont mind) then only fish shallow (less than 100m) except for once or twice a year.
    They are handicapping themselves in the shallow water with the 1KW units
    a 1KW transducer has a very narrow beam angle so while good in the deep for finding holes and stuff in shallow water you are only looking at a very small area in shallow (in 20m water you are mybe looking at 1m bottom area so you can miss the school of fish by 1m!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    So if you were to run two separate units, one as a plotter and one as a sounder, can you run two transducers at the same time or do they interfere with each other?
    Just wondering about having a 600 and 1kw or bigger for the best of both worlds.
    They will interfere (we are talking recreational type Plotter Sounder or standalone sounders) Generally they have duel frequency transducers in a single housing (usually 50 and 200Khz) and both fire similtainiously so if you have 2 units driving transducers transmiting at the same time you will get interference. For example if you had 2 Furuno DB7's, one connected to 1 50/200 600w trandsucer and the pother connected to 50/200 1Kw one, you could alway stop the Tx on the one you are not using rather than unplugging it or turning it off.

Commercial Sounders (and Sonars) have the ability to be "keyed" to a master Sounder so they all "fire" at exactly the same time and its not uncommon to have 3 or more all keyed together on the larger vessels.
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    I had a hummingbird fish finder/plotter/gps, with navonics gold card ,wasnt even colour and I fished all round Nelson and the sounds , 100m max . Sold it with the boat ,the only reason I thought about upgrading was coz everyone else had colour, did everything I wanted . I did buy a better transducer( cant remember what ) and stuck it inside the bilge (fibreglass boat). The only time I couldnt get the info I wanted was right in the middle of French Pass where the depth reading was all over the place ....apparently thermoclines were to blame
    Sub surface Turbulent water usually rather than thermocline in that area
    Beaker likes this.

Gkp
    I own a garmin and I am by no means technology clued up but I find it easy to use

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Deep water (over 500m ) would be a FCV295 or FCV1150 with 38 Khz transducer. Budget about $10k
    Most commonly used sounder on Small commercial vessels.
    FCV588 + 1KW transducer would do as stand alone fish finder (about $3699 is new at a guess)
    New TZT with built in 1KW sounder and TM260 would also do
    Stingray has one of these
    Attachment 132839
    But I have not herd if he likes it yet?? and Cam has the Earlier non touch screen model.

Touchscreen is a pain in small boats underway................Personally I would buy a standalone sounder like a FCV588 and a DB7 to use as a plotter if I had the budget.
    I have a Navnet VX2, Radar Plotter Sounder and TM258 in my boat which has not moved in over 12 months now
    Unless you are fishing deep more than 80% of your time then a P66 600w transducer is best value and best performance for general fishing
    I seem many people buy the 1KW ones (We dont mind) then only fish shallow (less than 100m) except for once or twice a year.
    They are handicapping themselves in the shallow water with the 1KW units
    a 1KW transducer has a very narrow beam angle so while good in the deep for finding holes and stuff in shallow water you are only looking at a very small area in shallow (in 20m water you are mybe looking at 1m bottom area so you can miss the school of fish by 1m!!
    He likes it.
    Best feature of it compared to mine is the ability to drive over something be it some structure or a school of fish and touch the feature on the sounder even a minute or two ago and put a gps mark right on it, mine I gotta loop back up my trail and find it again and mark it.
    R93 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I finna garmin gps7412, gps7410, gsd26, tm265lh, gm18rhd, fusion bb300, garmin heading sensor, gps19x gps puck and a gt56 transducer.... about 18k worth. Its fucking amazing.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I have 2 on my boat, ones is just a fish finde where as the other is GPS linked. Was a clown when I installed it. Should of asked for some advise from Mikee before drilling more fucking holes. The issue is I cant run both at the same time as they default one another. I kid myself when asked saying oh that ones more accurate as my shallow unit where as the other is my tracking system. All bullshit but it does kinda look cool, even if it is a retard concept. So R93 be aware if looking one guns enough, but I guess you would be more on to it than me. Not my skill set.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    I have 2 on my boat, ones is just a fish finde where as the other is GPS linked. Was a clown when I installed it. Should of asked for some advise from Mikee before drilling more fucking holes. The issue is I cant run both at the same time as they default one another. I kid myself when asked saying oh that ones more accurate as my shallow unit where as the other is my tracking system. All bullshit but it does kinda look cool, even if it is a retard concept. So R93 be aware if looking one guns enough, but I guess you would be more on to it than me. Not my skill set.
    What you say it true BUT if either fails you can still go fishing where as with an all in one fails you are left with not being able to find the fish on the one hand and not knowing where you are or where your marks are either.

Mind you my boat has not moved in over 12 months so I know exactly where it/I am

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Not mine either mate I will get anything I decide on professionally installed. Probably be a year before I do anything and something new and flashy will be out by then. Those ones you can track fish in real time might be the go in some spots I will use it.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I kayak fish a lot and I use a Garmin 7sv https://buy.garmin.com/en-NZ/NZ/p/592111 - I used to use Humminbird.

It's not a chart plotter, but it has GPS, draws it's own contour maps and traditional sonar and side scan and down scan.

I don't need a chart plotter because I can usually see the rocks and islands etc before I hit them.

The side scan is really good, if there's a tire on the floor, you can see it's a tire, can't quite read the 'GoodYear' but it can be very clear.

The quick draw mapping is really good too, I can get so much more detail in 1' increments, much better that current charts and chart plotter, and this can be all shared online so I can take advantage of scans that other folk have been and done.

Recommended.
    also - https://www.fishfinders.info
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    veitnamcam, R93 and Beaker like this.