Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Fishing season

Fishing season

Hi Team as most of you no fishing season starts on Sunday mostly I enjoy taking the kids out , point being get the kids out there ...& off the phones , play stations hopefully the weather is ok iv got plans of camping Saturday night & getting amongst it first thing Sunday the kids are excited to took them into the sports shop today got the family licence & let them pic a couple of lures each ..not that they can cast that great yet but its all part of the fun , lets see some pics of the action ..Good luck

give em heaps..... if your kids not flash on the casting dept.....try some terrafirma terrors.
    Boaraxa likes this.

How much is the family licence ?
    Any Nelson fishos keen to teach a newb(or even a family of newbs)?
    stingray and Boaraxa like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

$165 for family.....
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    $165 for family.....
    Probably not bad if you know what your doing and there is fish to catch

My family consists of one salt water fisherman and three townies so I would need someone to show me the ropes.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Probably not bad if you know what your doing and there is fish to catch

My family consists of one salt water fisherman and three townies so I would need someone to show me the ropes.

Like all fishing it's great fun however it is hard to go past a feed of blue cod, I don't fancy eating trout after nice sea fish. I find the best fishing was when the salmon used to run up the Waitaki (now that was fun) however that's a thing of the past sadly Trout fishing is a great way to introduce fishing to the young ones, it's generally safe and it's a good stepping stone for the other types like sea fishing etc. I will get a licence this year and have another go at the salmon, I just pray one day they come back. Good luck everyone
    When hunting think safety first

R93
    I reckon if you get into it for the kids sake you will quickly turn into a catch and release guy.
    Trout are pretty ordinary eating unless they are sea run imo.
    Smoking them is ok.
    I haven't killed a trout since I can remember.
    If you make it down whitebaiting there are half a dozen that need catching and released into aanother channel where I fish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

trout ARE great eating IF you arent a lazy sod and bleed them as soon as caught and gill and gut them soon afterwards..... no different to kahawai.... trout have bloodline/kidney along backbone inside gut cavity that you MUST remove as soon as you can...if you haul one in,leave it flapping in bottom of boat then leave it there un bleed and ungutted in hot sun till you get home yip for sure it will taste muddy and be craphola for table. Ive only had one trout that tasted muddy and that was from lower opihi river close to sea when river mouth had been shut for some time....
    50% salt and brown sugar on fillets overnight will make them smoke up really nicely
    good clean no bones fillets coated in edmonds cookbook recipe beer batter and quick fried are simply DEVINE
    fresh trout straight out of lake fried in pan with butter have to be tried to be believed (thats the only really good way Ive found to appreciate small landlocked salmon)

no different really to people who dont like eating vennison as they got given meat of stag shot at tailend of rut/roar. or mussles that had been in hot boot of car for 4hours on way home from beach...half of them shell open by time you got home.

That's a good idea MD never thought to beer batter a trout fillet im going to give that a go , mind you we really like smoked trout , hot straight out of the smoker or cold the next day on crackers ..iv just had a look at the river (mataura ) I think tomorrow will be perfect conditions its been high all week , should be some hungry fish , weather could be a bit sus as the day progresses .
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Well hooked up the caravan yesterday (its my mates ) and we where off fully loaded me and the girls just how I like it on these occasions .On the way I thought id best swing into the servo and put some air in the tyres im guessing there must have been a slow leak in one of them naturally it turned into a big leak I thought crap basically dropped the air hose jumped in the truck and made a dash back home thinking there is no way my mate has a spear tyre how wrong was I luckily there was one mounted on the back !! 15 mins latter we where off again , this year the river was mint so only a short drive to our possie , sun shining no wind and happy campers
    Name:  IMG_6019 (Copy).JPG
Views: 232
Size:  116.0 KB
    we stayed up late roasting marsh mellows watching the stars and the fish cruising along the river bank for a while there i was under a little pressure to try and catch one !! luckily the season hadn't started so no can do girls there must have been 12 of them along with the odd eel .
    Name:  IMG_6062 (Copy).JPG
Views: 281
Size:  76.5 KB
    The alarm was set for 6.30 though I got woken up earlier than that so set about putting socks on cold feet lighting the fire & doing as I was told ,baited the hooks , got the frying pan hot for the pan cakes , it didn't take long for some bites , first one got off then the eldest (7) had one on good and she managed to land it , only needed one more fish for the little person but it didn't happen ,aside from a little grumping we had a cracker time dad and the kids out there doing it that's what its about.
    Name:  IMG_6069 (Copy).JPG
Views: 237
Size:  228.9 KBName:  IMG_6071 (Copy).JPG
Views: 263
Size:  208.8 KBName:  IMG_6084 (Copy).JPG
Views: 234
Size:  239.5 KB
    Wildman, veitnamcam, R93 and 9 others like this.

bloody cracker....now that is how you keep ya family together.
    we had boat in water at gentlemanly hour of 09:45 and Id boated two browns of about 2lb a piece by 09:50...I shit you not...boat wasnt more than 300 yards from boat ramp. kept one and released the 2nd. wife manage 2 fish about same size as mine and I realeased another. boat out of water by 11:00
    son managed a small brown from kayak and is off to local small river this arvo to try his luck there. must have been 20 boats on lake this morning...not usual for there,normally its the "swizzle stick" brigade you see on opening weekend.
    Boaraxa, 7mm Rem Mag and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Well hooked up the caravan yesterday (its my mates ) and we where off fully loaded me and the girls just how I like it on these occasions .On the way I thought id best swing into the servo and put some air in the tyres im guessing there must have been a slow leak in one of them naturally it turned into a big leak I thought crap basically dropped the air hose jumped in the truck and made a dash back home thinking there is no way my mate has a spear tyre how wrong was I luckily there was one mounted on the back !! 15 mins latter we where off again , this year the river was mint so only a short drive to our possie , sun shining no wind and happy campers
    Attachment 76603
    we stayed up late roasting marsh mellows watching the stars and the fish cruising along the river bank for a while there i was under a little pressure to try and catch one !! luckily the season hadn't started so no can do girls there must have been 12 of them along with the odd eel .
    Attachment 76604
    The alarm was set for 6.30 though I got woken up earlier than that so set about putting socks on cold feet lighting the fire & doing as I was told ,baited the hooks , got the frying pan hot for the pan cakes , it didn't take long for some bites , first one got off then the eldest (7) had one on good and she managed to land it , only needed one more fish for the little person but it didn't happen ,aside from a little grumping we had a cracker time dad and the kids out there doing it that's what its about.
    Attachment 76605Attachment 76606Attachment 76607
    Looks like a great outing with the family Phil, well done. Nothing like good quality time with the young ones.
    When hunting think safety first

Looks like awesome fun and memories you can't beat it eh! It's the kind of stuff I remember and loved as a kid so am trying my best too to pass it on ( still love it so it's also an excuse 😄 )

the fresh trout cooked in beer batter for tea/dinner was DEVINE.....had the last of it in sammy for my lunch.
    veitnamcam, Sparrow and Boaraxa like this.

Some from our weekend, same spot as last year twice the chaos ( his brother)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  173.0 KB
Views: 109
Size:  130.5 KB
    Gorse is good for one thing!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  100.2 KB
    The old pro, did every thing but cast even managed to talk him into putting it back was a bit on the skinny sideName:  image.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  136.9 KB
    Tangles for Africa but worth it
Views: 94
Size:  301.8 KB