Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree14744Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    16-17 degrees off Hoki and I got tubes. Must be different behaviour in the bay compared to off here?
    I believe they come up the coast and roll into the bay so if your getting them hopefully it won't be long before some show up here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I'd heard they come down the coast - they show up in Westport then Grey then here

All a mystery to me

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'd heard they come down the coast - they show up in Westport then Grey then here

All a mystery to me
    I'm no expert either, but i love catching them

Great fun. A different fight to a kingi or a KY.
    kukuwai likes this.

All I know, is blue water and 18 degrees.... knock em and bleed em straight away ...chuck them in a salt ice slurry more ice the better. They run hot and spoil fast ..dark lures ,blue , black worked down off greymouth for us. Almost bird like beak so long sharp hooks
    Nil durum volenti !!

Finally today I thought the back was good enough to go fishing. Punishing being laid up in the best spell of weather in ages.
    Out of Delaware on the incoming so not on the water till 830ish with a workmate, blue water right into the coast....could see bottom clearly from boat in 8m water!
    Out to where I would usually fish this time of year and sharked out.....50 50 go deeper or fish the coast.
    Went with fish the coast as for once I had chucked the 223 in and workmate was pretty keen on some meat for biltong.
    Goats were plentiful and reasonably tame along this bit of coast but with a certain local utuber giving them a curry up of late they have got rather shy.
    Blue cod were surprisingly plentiful in decent legal size.....moved out to get away from them and got pannies and more cod all the while whatching a small mob of goats that were annoyingly about 500m away from public land.
    Got a couple of feeds and cruised up the coast, marked some rocks and come in on the high.....had to wait a bit to get trailer in.
    There's a guy with the cowling off winding and winding and winding his motor over without a single fire....couple of mins of that and I couldn't help myself and I had to yell out" stop fucking winding it or you will burn out your starter motor!!!"

Got on the trailer and went and give him a hand...pulled plugs full throttle and wound over while it pumped fuel out, dried fuel and oil off plugs on my t shirt and checked for spark...all good, refitted and full throttle start lots of smoke then all good.
    Stop restart all good. "Have you at least got some spare plugs" I asked as he was about to leave to go fishing �� " no but I dont think I will go far now"...
    Hopefully he at least learned how to start his outboard.......for a shitty old boat and an old motor it had a bloody amazingly good battery!

Name:  IMG_20210201_124254.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  2.97 MB

Fish n chips on the bbq.
    Name:  IMG_20210201_181544.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  2.72 MB
    Tahr, gadgetman, stingray and 9 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Your a GC VC ..okiwi next weekend spare beds
    veitnamcam and Shearer like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Good on ya VC I've said it before but ill say it again.."there are muppets everywhere"

Shame about the 'youtuber' and the goats (news to me) but in my opinion youtube is right up there with 1080 and thermals... buggering a few spots around here that's for sure !!!!

Hope your back is 100% soon mate all the best ah !!

veitnamcam and stingray like this.

Today was probably the best day to get the yak out this year. Unfortunately work wasn't playing ball. I could be persuaded to move somewhere with less of the blowy stuff, not sure the boss would be so easy to convince.

Name:  Wind.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  50.6 KB
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Had a ball up the Island with the family, spent four days up there. The weather wasn't really what I was expecting but at least it wasn't too hot.
    Friday night we were straight on to the snaps (pannies), one boy got a double hook up and announced it was the best day of his life.
    Kids have so much energy.......they were up early and bed late, swimming, fishing and kayaking all day.
    The fishing was a bit slow Sat, Sun and Monday but good size cod and something I havent seen landed for sometime a John Dory
    Name:  20210131_142509_resized.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  1.12 MB
    Name:  20210201_110447_resized.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  919.7 KB
    Name:  20210201_110507_resized.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  906.5 KB

Love seeing John Dory ...what an amazing fish! Young folk go and go ...and eat and eat ..then fish / swim and repeat! But you know that ..it just gets more expensive as the volume of tucker inhaled increases every bloody month!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Had a ball up the Island with the family, spent four days up there. The weather wasn't really what I was expecting but at least it wasn't too hot.
    Friday night we were straight on to the snaps (pannies), one boy got a double hook up and announced it was the best day of his life.
    Kids have so much energy.......they were up early and bed late, swimming, fishing and kayaking all day.
    The fishing was a bit slow Sat, Sun and Monday but good size cod and something I havent seen landed for sometime a John Dory
    Attachment 159444
    Attachment 159445
    Attachment 159446
    Nice. What did you catch the JD on?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Nice. What did you catch the JD on?
    Funny you ask that...there we are fishing away at black reef, big hook ups and then a line comes in all tangled and stuff. Thinking its my line that's been caught up in all this I disconnect his trace (cut it in to lots of pieces) and worked out it was just a heap of braid from some other poor suckers line. So what's a man spose to do??? we pull in this line and guess what's on the end off it???? yep one of those stupid expensive jig things. Not to let an opportunity pass by, we hook this stupid thing up to a rod and fuck me .
    True story....

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Funny you ask that...there we are fishing away at black reef, big hook ups and then a line comes in all tangled and stuff. Thinking its my line that's been caught up in all this I disconnect his trace (cut it in to lots of pieces) and worked out it was just a heap of braid from some other poor suckers line. So what's a man spose to do??? we pull in this line and guess what's on the end off it???? yep one of those stupid expensive jig things. Not to let an opportunity pass by, we hook this stupid thing up to a rod and fuck me .
    True story....
    Probably Mark Cottons experimental Shimano jig he lost on the first drop !
    stingray likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quick lunchtime mission today. Fishy as and the vis was mint. Havnt hunted snaps in ages so was good to get on the snoop

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    gadgetman and kukuwai like this.