Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

Like Tree14466Likes

Thread: Fishing tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That is an interesting way of looking at it.....is that whole or recovered weight and for yourself or all on board quota?
    The snapper measure was a piss take. However, snapper is about $40 a kg.... so could be related back to fuel burn version food.

I don't want to do that true calc though......
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

MB
    I think the average boat (or even jetski) owner spends way more than they could ever hope (or would want) to get in the value of fish. Boat value, insurance, servicing, fuel, trailer WOF etc, but it's not about that. If you want bang for your buck, buy a kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    I think the average boat (or even jetski) owner spends way more than they could ever hope (or would want) to get in the value of fish. Boat value, insurance, servicing, fuel, trailer WOF etc, but it's not about that. If you want bang for your buck, buy a kayak.
    There are some things that should remain unsaid - and you just said a lot of them....
    stingray, mikee, 6x47 and 1 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    The snapper measure was a piss take. However, snapper is about $40 a kg.... so could be related back to fuel burn version food.

I don't want to do that true calc though......
    If I took fuel/bait/burly on that 40 bucks a kilo(fillet weight?) I would definitely be WAY ahead....well if I kept it that is, but if you added in purchase cost of boat and maintenance things dont look so flash but in theory I would be paying off my snapper boat, my flounder boat would probably have already payed for itself.
    In practice of course things dont work like that as there is only so much fish you can eat. It is illegal to sell fish without holding quota and both boats run at a loss.
    Thats ok I like fishing,I like eating fish and I like giving fish away.
    stingray, mikee, Beaker and 2 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

....they are or were there.
    Drove thru ruby bay today and there was a trawler working about 1km off shore.

Also dad and his mate spent the day splitting wood in kina and counted 5 out further than the one i saw but all were working.

Bloody sure they arnt hunting spiky dogs!!

Water looked nice and blue too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

This afternoons effort. Name:  20180905_175535(0).jpg
Views: 210
Size:  4.40 MB
    Name:  20180905_150332.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  3.99 MB

All the fish were really well conditioned and only caught 2 undersized and they were only just.

Anyone have light bars on their boats? I'm after ideas. I mounted one on mine and get to much reflection off the front rails - to the point of not being able to see.
    Wildman and stingray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    Drove thru ruby bay today and there was a trawler working about 1km off shore.

Also dad and his mate spent the day splitting wood in kina and counted 5 out further than the one i saw but all were working.

Bloody sure they arnt hunting spiky dogs!!

Water looked nice and blue too.

Definitely a trawler? There has been a small longliner/netter working that line about 1km off for a while targeting rig I am told.

This afternoons effort. Attachment 94492
    Attachment 94493

All the fish were really well conditioned and only caught 2 undersized and they were only just.

Anyone have light bars on their boats? I'm after ideas. I mounted one on mine and get to much reflection off the front rails - to the point of not being able to see.
    Some nice pannies there.
    Where did you mount it? if you mount it on the hardtop but move it back untill the front of the hard top just shadows the bow you should be good?

Definitely a trawler? There has been a small longliner/netter working that line about 1km off for a while targeting rig I am told.
    Maybe it was?...I can't be 100% sure as was just driving thu.

Dad however is well convinced the boats he saw were trawling. Out deeper tho

Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Thats true and most of the other guys commercial wise are either dainish seining or towing for "flats" and from what I have seen they have their headline tied down to less than 1 m opening trying to avoid catching a bag of snapper as most have no significant quota so keep what they have for bycatch.
    If you see the guys dainish seining call them up and find out what / where their gear is as setting long lines in their nets path makes for angry people on both ends
    veitnamcam and kukuwai like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Thats true and most of the other guys commercial wise are either dainish seining or towing for "flats" and from what I have seen they have their headline tied down to less than 1 m opening trying to avoid catching a bag of snapper as most have no significant quota so keep what they have for bycatch.
    If you see the guys dainish seining call them up and find out what / where their gear is as setting long lines in their nets path makes for angry people on both ends
    I wouldnt have thought any of the inshore guys would be actively targeting snapper untill the quota year ticks over which is 1stOCT? from memory?
    kukuwai likes this.

Some nice pannies there.
    Where did you mount it? if you mount it on the hardtop but move it back untill the front of the hard top just shadows the bow you should be good?
    Yeah no huge fish. But all good for a feed. And was cracking action, on a day that was meant to be crap ....

As for light, yes i need to play with the forward and back bit, however i think if i get it back far enough to miss the rails, they wont be doing f all for actually lighting the way.

Yeah no huge fish. But all good for a feed. And was cracking action, on a day that was meant to be crap ....

As for light, yes i need to play with the forward and back bit, however i think if i get it back far enough to miss the rails, they wont be doing f all for actually lighting the way.
    You dont need to see the 3 or 4 meters in front of the boat at 20knt...if you see it there you have already hit it before you can react.
    If needing that light forad for docking and trailering maby you could mount a small light under the bowsprit ankor thing or one each side just under the rub rail at the bow facing down?
    Beaker likes this.

I wouldnt have thought any of the inshore guys would be actively targeting snapper untill the quota year ticks over which is 1stOCT? from memory?
    Even after the 1st they won't be actively chasing it, theres too much of it
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Even after the 1st they won't be actively chasing it, theres too much of it
    As it should be!
    But Im sure gytons etc put in orders for a few early snaps obviously not the whole inshore fleet but maybe a boat or two fishing the big guys quota do a few shots here and there to fill specific orders etc.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk