Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fluorocarbon

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Yeah sorry should have said it was for soft baiting and traces for Kingy stuff, stickbaits, poppers etc. Straylines too... I think there is some good info here, will keep reading though.
    Unless its very snaggy ground I would doubt fluro would add much real world advantage.
    When I did a lot of sea fishing I would tie poppers straight to the mainline with a bimini or spider hitch.
    From there I'd go an albright to 50-80lb leader for strayline. No swivel. KISS fishing for me.
    Shearer likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Same. Bimini in the braid and the double tied straight to the leader with a double uni. Then a uni to attach lure/hooks or whatever.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yeah so I'm using braid which I thought is quite visible, especially with the doubled bit. So essentially using it as tippet... Im just use to using say 60lb mono trace for a 20lb main line.... Seems strange using 20lb fluro for trace...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Yeah so I'm using braid which I thought is quite visible, especially with the doubled bit. So essentially using it as tippet... Im just use to using say 60lb mono trace for a 20lb main line.... Seems strange using 20lb fluro for trace...
    If you have 60lb mono just use that.
    stingray likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I have 37kg braid and use 100-120lb mono for trace as i find it is softer and easier to tie with thick lines. For softbaiting i have 6kg braid and 20lb fluro trace
    Gibo likes this.

I wouldn't use 20 lb for a kingi trace. If you want to use fluro carbon just treat it as you would mono. If you use 60lb mono trace then use 60lb FC. As has been said, the advantage is that for the same size/breaking strain it is less visible in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I wouldn't use 20 lb for a kingi trace. If you want to use fluro carbon just treat it as you would mono. If you use 60lb mono trace then use 60lb FC. As has been said, the advantage is that for the same size/breaking strain it is less visible in the water.
    And much more abrasion resistant!

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I use Black Magic Fluorocarbon for my sea traces and Double XX for fresh water
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I'm considering grabbing 300m of Dragon flurocarbon from complete angler for my Canals/ big water setup.

I've been told it's smaller diameter and it has breaking strain around 5pound above the line weight ( I stand to be corrected)?

Caught this jigging over the weekend in ToePaw- 6lb flouro traces on the flies/8lb backbone
    Brown was 3.4kg

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I'm considering grabbing 300m of Dragon flurocarbon from complete angler for my Canals/ big water setup.

I've been told it's smaller diameter and it has breaking strain around 5pound above the line weight ( I stand to be corrected)?
    Mono and FC vary a lot in diameter (for a given breaking strain) depending on brand. Almost all non IGFA rated lines break above their advertised weight unless the manufacturer is deliberately going for "super thin" bragging rights.
    Some FC is stiffer than other brands, some are more abrasion resistant, some are softer and some have better knot strength. Difficult to know exactly what is best for you until you try a few.

Cheers for the information :-)