Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Kayak.

Plenty done like this.

rayzor and outlander like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Plenty done like this.

Yes,seen those. Very easy to do, but I'm looking to mount engine on the stern as then you're hands free, balance is better and steering with your feet. I'll get it done shortly.

your welcome mate!!!
    yes you had to reach a little back for the tiller if doing sharp turns but most of the time its comfortable to use !!!
    he picked up the outboard for a good price but unfortunately no twist grip , just reach back and throttle up ( you can see towards the end of the video as he reaches back to do this!!) .
    He made a mould to fit perfectly fit down through the recess at the back of the kayak and the checkerplate ( im going shooting with him later and will ask him the specifics).
    Got to admit , when i took it for a play and got it up on the plane - i loved it
    All the very best.............
    outlander likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Yes,seen those. Very easy to do, but I'm looking to mount engine on the stern as then you're hands free, balance is better and steering with your feet. I'll get it done shortly.
    Use/copy the steering gear out of a Rowing skiff.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rayzor View Post
    your welcome mate!!!
    yes you had to reach a little back for the tiller if doing sharp turns but most of the time its comfortable to use !!!
    he picked up the outboard for a good price but unfortunately no twist grip , just reach back and throttle up ( you can see towards the end of the video as he reaches back to do this!!) .
    He made a mould to fit perfectly fit down through the recess at the back of the kayak and the checkerplate ( im going shooting with him later and will ask him the specifics).
    Got to admit , when i took it for a play and got it up on the plane - i loved it
    All the very best.............
    Very kind of you and I look forward to the mounting info. As an aside, the youtube link doesn't open for reasons unknown. Enjoy the shooting. Cheers.

Very kind of you and I look forward to the mounting info. As an aside, the youtube link doesn't open for reasons unknown. Enjoy the shooting. Cheers.
    Your welcome and try the link now on youtube!!!!
    Spoke to my mate and he said he applied some vasiline to the rear of the kayak ( yeh i know sounds dodgy lol ) , for the mould he used a piece of wood and then used car body filler with not too much hardener ( there i go again lol ) so it would slow the curing process down , this is what made the transom and a perfect fit for the kayak .
    he just added the straps to the cleats for exptra support and security!!
    All the very best..............

Spoke to my mate and he said he applied some vasiline to the rear of the kayak ( yeh i know sounds dodgy lol ) , for the mould he used a piece of wood and then used car body filler with not too much hardener ( there i go again lol ) so it would slow the curing process down , this is what made the transom and a perfect fit for the kayak .
    he just added the straps to the cleats for exptra support and security!!
    All the very best..............
    Crickey, dodgy is an understatement! I shall approach this project with caution, that's for sure. You have to wonder just what his missus thinks about all this?
    rayzor likes this.

Crickey, dodgy is an understatement! I shall approach this project with caution, that's for sure. You have to wonder just what his missus thinks about all this?
    She does wonder sometimes with him lol
    outlander likes this.

Youtube link still says video unavailable.
    I'm keen to see the video also as I am looking into a motor on my yak. Cheers for offering the info.

Name:  IMG_0578.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  4.75 MB

A 1.5 hp 4 stroke motor, pull start. Kayak used for trout fishing and hunting trips on lakes. Aside from electric motors great for single day trips, i consider petrol motors more reliable on multi day trips. I usually have my pack/tent/chair/veni loaded so battery recharging concerns are not a worry. Down side with petrol motor - easy on the throttle, otherwise you could dive into the lake like a sub!
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Youtube link still says video unavailable.
    I'm keen to see the video also as I am looking into a motor on my yak. Cheers for offering the info.
    try this!!!!
    https://youtu.be/g4mhiRrI6Gw

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Attachment 107106

A 1.5 hp 4 stroke motor, pull start. Kayak used for trout fishing and hunting trips on lakes. Aside from electric motors great for single day trips, i consider petrol motors more reliable on multi day trips. I usually have my pack/tent/chair/veni loaded so battery recharging concerns are not a worry. Down side with petrol motor - easy on the throttle, otherwise you could dive into the lake like a sub!
    By the time you add a decent battery I guess the electric set up would be quite heavy. I like the idea of the petrol because it is relatively easy to top up the tank compared to a battery. I like the idea of the motor by the seat for access to pull start/tilt/engine.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Saw this the other day. Not so clear in the pic, but was a kontiki (with the flag about 8m in front of kayak).
    Looks like a conrad mier ( spelling) fishing kontiki. The kayaker was steering with a remote. Was towing the kayak at a good pace.Name:  20190308_094811.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  1.46 MB
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Never seen something like this? Greenhithe Bridge by the looks.
    Beaker likes this.