Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Koi carp spots in waiuku.

Koi carp spots in waiuku.

Hi everyone

been doing a bit of bow fishing and have gotten a couple at whangamarino swamp to use as snapper bait. Managed to get one at lake ngaroto however we were passing through so haven't been back.

Have tried mangatawhiri stream with none seen. We tried some corn on a hook which is supposed to be dynamite but we didn't even get as much as a nibble

Plenty of the hua's in western springs, stonefields etc however they're not great for walking around with a bow ha.

I'm going to call fish and game tomorrow however I thought i'd check on here first.

cheers
    Last edited by Russian 22.; 01-05-2023 at 12:41 AM.

Waikato river is full of them,drift along weed beds in dinghy you will get a boatload in couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    Waikato river is full of them,drift along weed beds in dinghy you will get a boatload in couple of hours.
    my inflatable is a work in progress atm

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Checkout Otaua, Hoods landing, grandson slays them down there, they are a real problem. You have to got to know the area it's in your area.
    will give it a nudge. cheers

try bread crumb burley..maybe try puncturing a can of sweetcorn as burley too...you will find a way..spotlight possibly isnt silly either.
    MB and Russian 22. like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Lake Waikare is full of them, if you walk around the shallows you will see their pressure wave ahead of the fish as they swim away from you. Easy to get a full stringer's worth in 15 mins. Chasing them with a spade works best for me, not so good if you want the carp intact.
    Maca49 and Russian 22. like this.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy decoys

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    try bread crumb burley..maybe try puncturing a can of sweetcorn as burley too...you will find a way..spotlight possibly isnt silly either.
    Yes, burley is important.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slk12 View Post
    Lake Waikare is full of them, if you walk around the shallows you will see their pressure wave ahead of the fish as they swim away from you. Easy to get a full stringer's worth in 15 mins. Chasing them with a spade works best for me, not so good if you want the carp intact.
    will try lake waikare again. it is on the way for me when i visit mum and dad.

Pitchfork in shallows works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yes, burley is important.
    what would you recommend? i've tried sweet corn and strawberry jelly mix. and bread.'

might try a boilie?

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    what would you recommend? i've tried sweet corn and strawberry jelly mix. and bread.'
    That sounds perfect. Have a look on YouTube for "pack bait".

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    might try a boilie?
    Didn't know you could get them in NZ

You could make them I suppose, but I wouldn't recommend it. Carp have to be educated to take boilies. No chance of that here, because people generally aren't fishing for carp and almost certainly not using boilies. Sweetcorn or spam is a good bet. If you're not catching them, then maybe it's location.
    Russian 22. likes this.

A bag or couple of tins of whole kernel sweetcorn will do as an attractant , as will a good sprinkling of trout/salmon pellets
    Micky Duck and Russian 22. like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    trout/salmon pellets
    I don't think you can buy those either. Dry burley pellets are probably OK, but expensive.

trying to catch cheap bait and something fun to do fellas hahahah. I'll try spam. the whangamarino swamp had a few so when i visit mum and dad again i'll pop by. I have never heard of someone shooting them with a bow or fishing for them so they might not be educated on corn either

a small polybin from fish n chip shop will make a good worm farm in back yard..within a few months yo uwill never have to worry about bait ever again... you can buy starter packs with thousands of tiger worms in them.."grunting" them out of lawn is heaps of fun too.... we have had all sorts in the farm..the ozzie blues are barstards for doing a hoodini on wet nights but thats ok,I catch them out of lawn again..... pretty sure whats left in my worm farm now are mosty hybrids of tiger worms but they sure do well and dont need much to keep them going,the trout n eels love them so perch or carp should too.
    Barefoot, Pengy and Russian 22. like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters