Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Koi carp spots in waiuku.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    trying to catch cheap bait and something fun to do fellas hahahah. I'll try spam. the whangamarino swamp had a few so when i visit mum and dad again i'll pop by. I have never heard of someone shooting them with a bow or fishing for them so they might not be educated on corn either
    https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/st...-carp-classic/
    Went looking for photos I have of 12.8 kilo Koi and a 23kilo Grass Carp, Murphys law,can't find
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Just pick a quiet backwater anywhere in that area,they will swim by.
    Russian 22. likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    https://www.waikatoregion.govt.nz/st...-carp-classic/
    Went looking for photos I have of 12.8 kilo Koi and a 23kilo Grass Carp, Murphys law,can't find
    My bad. ofc I have heard of people shooting them with a bow lol.

i was meaning fishing for them with corn. tried chumming up lake pupuke and they weren't keen

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I don't think you can buy those either. Dry burley pellets are probably OK, but expensive.
    Just need to know the right people
    madjon_ likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

By the way Russian 22. Calling them Koi Carp is actually calling them Carp Carp as the Japanese is Koi. Splitting hairs for sure, but a good number of years in the `Pet fish` industry makes for some annoying shit

A small footnote...the most expensive Koi that passed through my hands went for a mind blowing number of pounds sterling back in the late 80`s and was used in an insurance scam
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    By the way Russian 22. Calling them Koi Carp is actually calling them Carp Carp as the Japanese is Koi. Splitting hairs for sure, but a good number of years in the `Pet fish` industry makes for some annoying shit

A small footnote...the most expensive Koi that passed through my hands went for a mind blowing number of pounds sterling back in the late 80`s and was used in an insurance scam
    let me guess? step 1) buy a carp for $$$$. step 2) insure it. step 3) it dies. step 4) profit?
    Pengy likes this.

The Koi worked a charm. 8 good sized snapper. one that was prob 45cm long. two big 40cm KY. very happy and only used half a Koi to get all o the fish.
    Pengy, MB and slk12 like this.

BMF
    I'm in Hamilton pretty much every where you walk next to the river you'll them... i used to shoot with a bow behind dairy factory...

Quote Originally Posted by slk12 View Post
    Lake Waikare is full of them, if you walk around the shallows you will see their pressure wave ahead of the fish as they swim away from you. Easy to get a full stringer's worth in 15 mins. Chasing them with a spade works best for me, not so good if you want the carp intact.
    is there a preferred side to bow hunt them? don't really want to have some angry land owner chasing me with a pitch fork!!

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_lube View Post
    is there a preferred side to bow hunt them? don't really want to have some angry land owner chasing me with a pitch fork!!
    Double rifle in large calibres, stop ‘‘em dead.
    Back in the 80s, we bought a section by the river in Arcus st Hamilton. I was working on the property and my 10 yr old daughter was bored. I had a small spin rod in the car, so baited it with a bit of cheese, way she went, bugger me, she came running back in about 15 mins with a “goldfish “
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Saw mention of Lake Waikare, I havent lived in Waikato for 10 years but the outlet by the control gates has a fish pass that acts as a koi trap if its still set up the same. Pic was from a good shoot there. Anywhere around there or the huntly lakes coming into spawning you cant go wrong and lots of public access, just walk around lakes and up streams/drains. Waikato river at Pencarrow and base of Karapiro dam where good spots for koi and mullet as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TeRei and rugerman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goateater View Post
    Saw mention of Lake Waikare, I havent lived in Waikato for 10 years but the outlet by the control gates has a fish pass that acts as a koi trap if its still set up the same. Pic was from a good shoot there. Anywhere around there or the huntly lakes coming into spawning you cant go wrong and lots of public access, just walk around lakes and up streams/drains. Waikato river at Pencarrow and base of Karapiro dam where good spots for koi and mullet as well.
    When was in Auckland, my friends used to catch them but not much, usually in duck season. But after I make them a dinner with those koi, they went for koi more. Actually is good to eat if you know how.
    Name:  IMG_0265.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  292.4 KB
    doinit and MarkN like this.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Vastly under-rated fish.

Was given one by at bow fisher once when I was letting a few fly at the Aka Aka swamp. Sat in my freezer for a couple of years before I decided to use some as burley fishing off the local boat ramp. Certainly worked at attracting Kingi's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    Vastly under-rated fish.
    You are chef, so maybe you can invent some way to cook it in western style.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.