Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By madmaori
  • 3 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By bigbear
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter

Thread: Land based trip info

Land based trip info

Hey team!

Trying to plan a epic trip with a couple of my young fellas over labour weekend and an extra couple of days either side.
    Planning on driving north as far as I need to on the first night and then coming back down going to stay at Te kaha in the middle of the trip to freshen up and clean up fish etc (got a bach to stay at) and fish Omaio beach and come back down the east coast poking my nose around and fishing and camping possibly finishing off the fishing part at Te Araroa or thereabouts.
    Just looking for a nice spot to base at for the first day or so that could throw up some epic catches , nice camping etc to really make this a trip to remember for the kids.
    Anyone have any suggestions or info that they wouldn't mind sharing?
    I'm not usually one to ask for help and I know that spots like this are fiercely guarded , but this will be a once off (I'm not going to go back and slay up or share any info that is passed onto me)
    I'm based in Hawkes Bay and are more than happy to help out anyone that ever needs a hand if you find yourself here and need a hand with anything to return the favour (broken down car , tyre problems , or anyone that finds themselves here for a weekend and needs some insider info as to where the fishing has been going good etc)
    I know some will find this cheeky and won't want to help but I know that this forum is also full of some absolute GC's who don't mind throwing some people some bones at times
    Feel free to PM those suggestions so the whole world doesn't see and everything will be kept super confidential

Cheers Brad
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Bay Tyres-Driving the best deal since ages ago

How 'far' north to you plan to go mate, that will help determine the rough area

I fished the 'top of east coast extensively in 90,s when Ranger in Waioeka gorge - we landbased targeting kingis - Lottin point was the holy grail - my best kingi was 25kg but we got a 37kg which was our best - but that is on 24 kg standup gear of the rocks using live kahawai for bait under a balloon - to fish Lottin proper you will need permission to cross the station - the main point is out to the east when you come over the hill into lottin point and a 1 hr walk initially across paddocks and then around a track onto the point proper - maybe not what you want - one needs to plan properly with burley etc - Motu river mouth fishes well at times as well as Raukokere mouth up Whanarua bay way - any of the river mouth's up there will fish -

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    How 'far' north to you plan to go mate, that will help determine the rough area
    Hey Gibo-Good point!
    Have never poked my nose around Coromandel so that could potentially be the cut off point.....although I don't mine driving if there is a potential epic mission in the pipeline haha

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I fished the 'top of east coast extensively in 90,s when Ranger in Waioeka gorge - we landbased targeting kingis - Lottin point was the holy grail - my best kingi was 25kg but we got a 37kg which was our best - but that is on 24 kg standup gear of the rocks using live kahawai for bait under a balloon - to fish Lottin proper you will need permission to cross the station - the main point is out to the east when you come over the hill into lottin point and a 1 hr walk initially across paddocks and then around a track onto the point proper - maybe not what you want - one needs to plan properly with burley etc - Motu river mouth fishes well at times as well as Raukokere mouth up Whanarua bay way - any of the river mouth's up there will fish -
    Thanks very much for the info Barry.
    Have fished Lottin point once before with a couple of mates but might be a bit to much of an undertaking for my youngest fella.
    Might poke my nose into a couple of those other spots on my way down the coast

Thanks

@madmaori there are a couple of private access spots up there. One is on the east side of lottin point, I don't know a lot about it. think it has a old woolshed for accommodation. Some one here might know contact details, even for private access for a day fish.
    Also there is private access east of cape runaway through Kemps. you need a four wheeler most amazing spot. there was a house at kemps every thing in it. all you need is food and bedding. It was cheap.
    I unsure what the go is with kemps now, unfortunately Jim Kemp died last year.
    You want to fish there in a southerly
    madmaori likes this.

Thanks very much mate

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    @madmaori there are a couple of private access spots up there. One is on the east side of lottin point, I don't know a lot about it. think it has a old woolshed for accommodation. Some one here might know contact details, even for private access for a day fish.
    Also there is private access east of cape runaway through Kemps. you need a four wheeler most amazing spot. there was a house at kemps every thing in it. all you need is food and bedding. It was cheap.
    I unsure what the go is with kemps now, unfortunately Jim Kemp died last year.
    You want to fish there in a southerly
    Kemps now that is a fishing spot

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    Might have bumped into you up there. I spent a lot of time up the East Cape in the late 80s and early 90s. Anywhere between Tekaha and Hicks Bay.
    I stayed with Jim Kemp a couple of times and fished with him off the cape.. Didn't know he had passed away. @madmaori. Waikawa point might be worth a look. Easy access and a good current running off it. Great kingi spot.
    madmaori likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Might have bumped into you up there. I spent a lot of time up the East Cape in the late 80s and early 90s. Anywhere between Tekaha and Hicks Bay.
    I stayed with Jim Kemp a couple of times and fished with him off the cape.. Didn't know he had passed away. @madmaori. Waikawa point might be worth a look. Easy access and a good current running off it. Great kingi spot.
    Thanks very much

the last I heard the old house on Kemps was used as a base for an Auckland based Land Based fishing club and when I last asked for permission to go out was told no closed for guided operations - the only way to get out on that frontage was to take an inflatable around from a lot further south and go around the cape -for those South Islanders on forum whats so great about the area well Lottin point is one of the only spots NZ where the blue water hits the rocks - standing on Lottin point proper the water in front of you is 60ft deep and dropping of and when clear one can with polaroids on see the bottom --when we first started land based fishing it in about 1980 the kings went passed in berley trail up to 20 in number - Kemps one could catch snapper up to 30 lb (we used to put them back ) absolute bloody magic to see kingie over 30 kg swimming in burley trail and spot monster snapper 10 feet from ya feet - just a point tho the big kingies will not touch bait no matter how good it looks - just live Kahawai and we would not hesitate to put out a 3-5lb Kahawai under a balloon- we tried a variety of live bait but nah just kahawai worked - magic days
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 05-10-2023 at 09:49 AM.
    madmaori and Moa Hunter like this.