Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree23Likes
  • 12 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By RugerM77
  • 5 Post By Chur Bay
  • 4 Post By MB

Thread: Lure fishing over sand

Lure fishing over sand

Morning Gents.
    Most of my fishing is up Coro or Far North and I'm keen to try deeper fishing over sand for snaps.
    I only have experience with shallow water softbaiting.
    Can I soft bait in 40 metres? What about Slow pitch or micro jigs? I have a couple of softbait sets, do I need to get a new set up or can I use my existing gear?
    Any advise on rigs and techniques appreciated.

Chur

MB
    90% of my fishing is over sand in 35 - 50 metres. My go to is a standard softbait outfit. The one I use is on the light side, 3-6kg rod with a 2500 reel, 15lb braid. The beauty of fishing over sand is that there is no drama getting snagged up when you hook a big fish. Bigger fish just take more time to land. Several 20lb snapper and many legal kingfish have fallen to this outfit. My standard rig is a Gulp Squid Vicious on a 2oz 5/0 jig head. Softbaits are fished vertically in deep water and not cast. Not much action is required to catch fish, even the rod holder is good enough on some days! It's lethal, makes fishing too easy. I'll often bin up after an hour's fishing and then have a 3 hour boat cleanup plus fish filleting to do!

Otherwise, slow pitch jigs in the same depth water work great, microjigs to around 20 metres. No issue fishing jigs up to 100g on softbait gear, but remember, you are not casting them, they are just dropped and worked vertically. If there is too much wind/drift, you need a sea anchor. If you don't have one, get one, it is an essential item. Get one size higher than recommended for your boat.

This style of fishing has been so successful for me, that I've pretty much given up on wash fishing. Can't be bothered with fishing over rocks or kelp now and snagging up every third cast. Remember though, you can't catch fish if they are not there. Spend time looking for birds or fish in the sounder. I will rarely put a line in the water if there isn't good sign.

Lastly, because this style of fishing is so devastating and because big snapper don't do well when pulled out of water deeper than 20 metres. Regulate yourself. Catch what you need, then stop fishing or target something else like kingfish. It is entirely your choice, but I see no glory in catching and releasing 30 snapper with variable survival.

What MB said. I catch all of my snapper in 40 metres plus. All on light soft bait gear and one small bait caster overhead using sliders. I set up the slider drop it in, then set up my soft baits. I use 1 ounce jig heads and 5" baits. The sliders a pain in the arse because it often goes off before my soft baits are set up. Always, always, always use a drift anchor. Can't miss. I release as many big fellahs as I can. Only interested in reasonable pannies for a feed. Once you've found a spot on the sand that works you won't go wrong.
    Woody and Chur Bay like this.

chur.
    Just the info i was looking for.

cheers fullas

I fish those depths with micro/small jigs pretty often too. I like the catch tungsten variety. Little bit easier to get to the bottom if there a bit of wind pumping

Name:  20221024_103604.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  3.46 MB

Took the family out in the weekend. Jist drifting over sand at first, but found a workup and picked up a few more. Let plenty of legal fish go.
    A neat way to fish for sure.
    Trout, Gibo, MB and 2 others like this.

Looks very tasty Chur Bay,well done.

MB
    Well done, that's awesome! My boy did all the fishing at the weekend. I'm just his own private charter skipper now!

Jacket by @Barefoot, thanks again.