Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Anybody used fly on lure fishing rod trout?

Anybody used fly on lure fishing rod trout?

Never used fly on my lure fishing rod for trout, but it was successful for smaller fish and other sort of trout under 30cm, bass and yellow tails in salt water. So, what is the common type of fly you are using particularly in SI, and is dry fly better than wet ones? Because I am going to make some online orders since fly price in NZ is much more expensive than where I can buy it now. Thanks
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Have a plastic bubble half full of water,then about 8oo-900mm long tippet to fly.Works ok.
    stingray and Black Rabbit like this.

When trout fishing high country lakes in Canterbury that allow spin rods, i often tie a Hamills Killer half a metre off the single hook on a tassie lure. At times the trout smash the Hamills Killer early in the season then again they also hit the tassie with the fly sometimes wrapped around the fish. Both browns and rainbows. 6 lber my best fish to date. Also just using tassle on the single lure hook can improve your catch. I reckon trebles should be banned for trout fishing - cheap and nasty way to catch a fish - better hook up in the corner of the mouth with a single hook. But a pain to remove the treble and replace with a single when buying new.
    Name:  Tassie lures with tassle.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  751.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2258.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  2.35 MB
    Name:  Nice Brown, released.JPG
Views: 261
Size:  142.1 KB

Hunteast.....if you tie a small swivel a meter in FRONT of your tassie,put your hammils on the main line with the hook inwards,it slows down snags and looks like the tassie is chasing the fly......Ive also seen it done with leaving tag end long on the swivel,30cms or so works great.

in areas that ARENT fly only... bubble n fly or fly and split shot is common enough... a little faom in body of a fly will make it lift off bottom so with weight 1mtr away it will be up off bottom.
    Woody and Moa Hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Bubble with a hare n copper nymph in slow water ..fishing to spooky mid summer fish …deadly …

Fishing a cicada even better. Pretty tough on the cicada but match the hatch.

Windy afternoons when fly fishing is damn near impossible, find a corner out of the wind just below the rapid drop a bubble and nymph..worth a try
    Woody, Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Have a plastic bubble half full of water,then about 8oo-900mm long tippet to fly.Works ok.
    Name:  fly+spoon rig lure.png
Views: 264
Size:  54.5 KB

Something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Hunteast.....if you tie a small swivel a meter in FRONT of your tassie,put your hammils on the main line with the hook inwards,it slows down snags and looks like the tassie is chasing the fly......Ive also seen it done with leaving tag end long on the swivel,30cms or so works great.

in areas that ARENT fly only... bubble n fly or fly and split shot is common enough... a little faom in body of a fly will make it lift off bottom so with weight 1mtr away it will be up off bottom.
    Thats what I do in Te Anau, small red wet fly, have caught more fish on the fly than the Tassie
    Trout, stingray and Micky Duck like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    When trout fishing high country lakes in Canterbury that allow spin rods, i often tie a Hamills Killer half a metre off the single hook on a tassie lure. At times the trout smash the Hamills Killer early in the season then again they also hit the tassie with the fly sometimes wrapped around the fish. Both browns and rainbows. 6 lber my best fish to date. Also just using tassle on the single lure hook can improve your catch. I reckon trebles should be banned for trout fishing - cheap and nasty way to catch a fish - better hook up in the corner of the mouth with a single hook. But a pain to remove the treble and replace with a single when buying new.

Attachment 206434
    Very nice photo and catch! I do `t actually use trebles, except for salt water sometimes. because that was difficult for me to unhook the fish, it probably may hurt myself.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Bubble with a hare n copper nymph in slow water ..fishing to spooky mid summer fish …deadly …

Fishing a cicada even better. Pretty tough on the cicada but match the hatch.

Windy afternoons when fly fishing is damn near impossible, find a corner out of the wind just below the rapid drop a bubble and nymph..worth a try
    I got some Hare and Copper, and I am planning to buy more with bigger size. thanks

your name/handle is one of the very best lure type flies ... one way a nymph and split shot is used is to cast out onto sandy or muddy bottomed bit of water on a trouts beat and wait with fly on bottom..when trout is close a small twitch of line will move fly,hopefully trout will swoop in and scoff it.
    where legal a worm is far more effective..and for the ultimate in fun...a large cricket,flicked out with nothing but a hook will sit on surface struggling,trout cannot resist it,let it take and move away then flick bail arm over and the fun begins...
    stingray and Black Rabbit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Attachment 206441

Something like this?
    sort of...remove the flag/spinner in middle and dont need swivel.... so rod tip...line.....float.....line...fly

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    sort of...remove the flag/spinner in middle and dont need swivel.... so rod tip...line.....float.....line...fly
    This is a picture for smaller fish, I use carbon leader line up to 65cm long, size 2 and in the middle is the float/ casting weight can be full water or half water, then connect to main line. Thanks. I got lots of lures, but do `t have much fly left, so I am preparing to pile up. Any suggestion for colors, shapes, etc for SI?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    I got some Hare and Copper, and I am planning to buy more with bigger size. thanks
    Start the season with the larger size as the water clears and flows drop ..go down in size ..purchase some weighted nymphs to get down to a sighted fish ..but if you are floating a cicada in the fast water below the rapid go with bubble you can see ie red / white .

Biggest thing is changing you rig to suit the water your fishing …slow clear water ..clear bubble casting well above the sighted fish ..if it’s deep water use a weighted nymph ..fast turbulent water a red n white bubble so you can see if the bubble stops strike …Probably the best thing you can have is a mate guiding you in / telling you when to strike …if s/he can watch the fish eat your nymph your success rate climbs ..or if the fly drifts over or the fish ignores your offering they can tell you.

Then you can change size or type of nymph…hell it’s all about trying , getting burnt catching and just being out there.

Post up your success and horror stories ..we will enjoy them all
    Woody, Micky Duck and Black Rabbit like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

PM me your address and I’ll send you a selection of odds & sods. You really need a variety in case they’re hitting one particular thing. Ideally a variety of sizes too.
    stingray, erniec and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Start the season with the larger size as the water clears and flows drop ..go down in size ..purchase some weighted nymphs to get down to a sighted fish ..but if you are floating a cicada in the fast water below the rapid go with bubble you can see ie red / white .

Biggest thing is changing you rig to suit the water your fishing …slow clear water ..clear bubble casting well above the sighted fish ..if it’s deep water use a weighted nymph ..fast turbulent water a red n white bubble so you can see if the bubble stops strike …Probably the best thing you can have is a mate guiding you in / telling you when to strike …if s/he can watch the fish eat your nymph your success rate climbs ..or if the fly drifts over or the fish ignores your offering they can tell you.

Then you can change size or type of nymph…hell it’s all about trying , getting burnt catching and just being out there.

Post up your success and horror stories ..we will enjoy them all
    Thank you mates, I think I should make excel file in detail of what in my cart for you guy to have a look. And fresh water fishes are more tricky but that `s the fun of lure fishing.
    stingray likes this.