Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wsm junkie

Thread: Tongariro mid~late November

Tongariro mid~late November

Every few years I get to spend a couple of days at Turangi.

My first trout was 38 yrs ago and it was a 5lb brown, from the Major Jones pool.

Over the years I've been back about 10 times and only ever caught one small rainbow (released).

So my Mojo, has no heft to it, at Tongariro.

I'm proficient with wet fly and nymph and even the dry ones. I've caught Trout almost everywhere else in NZ, I just don't have luck at Turangi.

So I'm going to be there again, mid to end November and I'm wondering if anyone has advice or comments on a "best approach".

I guess the spawning runs will be over by a long stretch and I'll be seeking fish holding in feeding spots.

Wot yer reckon?

Choice of fly pattern and size, weight as well as length of leader can be important. Make sure you are getting deep enough to get the fly in their line of sight. Stop by local fishing shop and see what advice they offer

Ned
    Gets a good caddis hatch about an hour before dusk that time of year. Swing a small size 14 dark dry caddis when the fish are rising. Mostly smaller trout but you can get a good one sometimes.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Thank you gents, good info...

That time of year can be a little tricky. As you say the main spawning runs are over and the Browns havnt really started but there will still be fish moving through especially if theres been a fresh.
    Naturals like pheasant tails, caddis, hare n copper and hare's ears in sizes 10 - 16. I like to start with a light coloured bomb (10 or 12) and a dark trailing nymph (14-16) and if no luck switch them around so dark bomb, light trailer. I look for little pockets and holes.
    Also at that time the flow should be lower and water clearer so sight fishing with a nice bouyant dry (elk hair caddis or parachute adams) and a small #16 nymph on a dropper can work well.
    If its been dry for a while leading up to your visit you might have better luck hitting one of the stream mouths particually at change of light.
    viper and sore head stoat like this.

Thank you.

Banned
    Do you get a Brown Beetle flight in that country ? Late Nov and we are in the thick of it here

I fish around Turangi often, have found an egg pattern can still work in the morning that late in the season, then swapped out with a green caddis on the bottom as the sun comes up. Black bead Hair n Copper on the top with unweighted HnC on the bottom also seems to go well, and maybe a wee flashback pheasant tail on a dull day. Hopefully all the recent floods havn't washed too many of the spent fish back out to the lake so there are still plenty in the river putting condition back on.
    Also go into Sporting Life in the Turangi Mall, very helpful staff who will sort you out and point you in the right direction
    Cheers
    Jono