Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Anybody used fly on lure fishing rod trout?

Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    PM me your address and I’ll send you a selection of odds & sods. You really need a variety in case they’re hitting one particular thing. Ideally a variety of sizes too.
    Thank you mate, but my current address is far far far and far away from yours. Maybe will in short kms range in November.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Mickey Duck - yes have tied a wet fly above the lure to a swivel - but lost too many fish after a hook up - early in the season aggressive trout snap at the fly biting through the main line. My kayak mate has experience the same. We use 8-9 lb line. All fun.

never had that and I use 5-6lb line.... maybe try the fly the other way..eg running on main line...it is a right beitch to land them in net if you not super careful and aware of other hook....
    leaving your tassie running on main line makes a huge difference too...trout cant throw hook using weight of lure.
    Hunteast likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Around Twizel years ago we use to shoot a few black rabbits in winter.Take a strip skin fur one inch each side of the spine.Gave you a 2 inch wide strip of long black fur.That winter strip you could make buitfull black rabbit lures for night fishing the Tekapo river mouth at night.This was yrs ago befor they took all the willows trees out of the Tekapo river,especially around the river mouth.Id use a Winrod Heritage 8-9 rod with a 8 lb tippet.Use to get some big hook ups on a black night,sometimes land a 8 to 10 lb fish,4 to6s more common.

PM me your address and I’ll send you a selection of odds & sods. You really need a variety in case they’re hitting one particular thing. Ideally a variety of sizes too.
    What a wonderful offer! This is why I enjoy being a part of this forum!
    Nil durum volenti !!

This is what happens with an angry trout is hooked - giving the hook a workout - seems to happen early in the fishing season when fishing from a kayak.
    Name:  bent hook on a rainbow.JPG
Views: 186
Size:  4.38 MB
    Name:  trout fillets deboned.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  2.72 MB
    Trout, stingray, Swanny and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Thank you mate, but my current address is far far far and far away from yours. Maybe will in short kms range in November.
    All good - hit me up then, the offer will stand
    Trout and Black Rabbit like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Attachment 206441

Something like this?
    If the position of the fly and bubble are reversed it will work better; the float at the far end. A weighted nymph on a 1 mtr dropper instead of a dry works on lakes. Fill the float with as much water as it will take and not sink. Cast out and draw back so that the nymph rises towards the surface ( just like a real nymph does) then pause to let the nymph sink and then draw in again. Tie the nymph dropper 1.5 mtr above the float

Remember me to your children and grandchildren when no one else but your family are catching fish.

All good - hit me up then, the offer will stand
    Thanks! see you when I got back, maybe you could find some lures I bring in that may interest you too
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Around Twizel years ago we use to shoot a few black rabbits in winter.Take a strip skin fur one inch each side of the spine.Gave you a 2 inch wide strip of long black fur.That winter strip you could make buitfull black rabbit lures for night fishing the Tekapo river mouth at night.This was yrs ago befor they took all the willows trees out of the Tekapo river,especially around the river mouth.Id use a Winrod Heritage 8-9 rod with a 8 lb tippet.Use to get some big hook ups on a black night,sometimes land a 8 to 10 lb fish,4 to6s more common.
    if you take a strip 4-5mm wide ACROSS the pelt...and wind it around shank of hook from tail back up to head,then add a soft hackle.... the hook is hidden...
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Not exactly what you're talking about, but I have tied wooly buggers and killer style wets on small softbait jigheads and done quite well with them
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I have had a lot of luck on the galloups butt monkey fly on my spin rod it has enough weight to cast without splitshot.
    Name:  galloups-articulated-butt-monkey-olive.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  124.8 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

@Trout - something like this? A Black Mamba tied on a Tiemco TMC 5262 hook in #6.
    Name:  IMG_20221003_123702.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  383.2 KB
    wsm junkie and stingray like this.

Another good lure for night or day fishing is a size4 black marabou lure.The marabou feathers are so life like drifting thru the slow river mouth current into the lakes.

I havnt tried it with spinning gear but my go to fly for wetlining rivers is the Rabbit. I use either orange or yellow body during the day, green going into dusk and then either red or black after dark.
    Trout likes this.