Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: No scallops again!

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Sadly you are right. He stopped the kermadec sanctuary and the cameras on fishing boats. Which should have been put in place.
    How would camera's help................. are you meaning live streaming??

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    How would camera's help................. are you meaning live streaming??
    Cameras on the fishing boats to stop scummy practices.

Cameras on the fishing boats to stop scummy practices.
    scummy practices such as.............................

to me its just like gun registration will stop crime.
    6x47 likes this.

scummy practices such as.............................

to me its just like gun registration will stop crime.
    Not reporting catch, under sized fish and by catch. I am sure you can think of the things they do that's bad.

Hardly. There's physical evidence of wrong doing. As opposed to the shopping list for crims

Not reporting catch, under sized fish and by catch. I am sure you can think of the things they do that's bad.

Hardly. There's physical evidence of wrong doing. As opposed to the shopping list for crims
    i would disagree, who watches the cameras recording hundreds of hours of it per vessel per trip.Most vessels have cameras anyway under their h&s protocols, the rat bags are slowly but surely being edged out
    There is far more recording and monitoring going on than you would know.
    Actually i would prefer it if cameras and live streaming via satphone were implemented as it would keep me busy selling / fitting / servicing it but the operating costs would mean no small independent fishermen any more
    stingray and 6x47 like this.

i would disagree, who watches the cameras recording hundreds of hours of it per vessel per trip.Most vessels have cameras anyway under their h&s protocols, the rat bags are slowly but surely being edged out
    There is far more recording and monitoring going on than you would know.
    Actually i would prefer it if cameras and live streaming via satphone were implemented as it would keep me busy selling / fitting / servicing it but the operating costs would mean no small independent fishermen any more
    Yeah that would be an issue. I'd like Gps tracking too.

I suppose that I am just annoyed with the fact that there appears to be very little over sight but a lot of Lee way.

Seems to be very little political will to do anything about anything.

Yeah that would be an issue. I'd like Gps tracking too.

I suppose that I am just annoyed with the fact that there appears to be very little over sight but a lot of Lee way.

Seems to be very little political will to do anything about anything.
    Um all commercial vessels by the end of the year will be monitored (tracked) in real time by MPI. The vessel owners are to provide "MPI Certified" equipment on-board at their cost to allow MPI monitoring. MPI set the tracking interval. Should a unit not be operational the vessel cannot sail, fails during the trip and back to port you go and MPI will be waiting when you berth.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    the boats are fairly well tracked allready more would be accomplished by monitoring the auto filleting machine tolerances and settings .this i know from experience.
    Generally not the big boys or non factory vessels which are the problem. The problem with cameras and live streaming (all possible) is that who watches the video and there would be a lot of it and then who pays cause at $15-26US per Mb the cost soon racks right up. Good for airtime providers though.

I was talking to a fisherman in GB last week, he reckoned the scallops crashed like this in early 80's and seeding etc eventually worked and the biomass recovered but back then there was not the amount of silt and muck being washed down into the bay coating everything. Take from that what you will

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    seen the difference in settings when mfish where on the boat and not on the boat on a factory trawler. is there not a source of empty shells that could be spread over certain areas to provide a base for reseeding shellfish like all those mussel shells or even scallop shells and have these places made off limits to dredging to be used for growing shellfish for spawning to help repopulate the barren areas.
    Yes there is a pile of shell visible from the road just out of Havlock and I'm sure with a bit of asking about you could source a truck and trailer load without a problem.

Ok so we have a sludge silt problem, so what we as a community have managed to do is harvest the filtration system out of Tasman bay! No blaming no finger pointing...the mussels were harvested and eaten and the scallops were harvested and eaten , even the gooey duck were harvested and eaten . So we've eaten our filtration system ....now we reap what we have sown a sludge silt pit ...according to google a mussel can filter up to or more than twenty five litres a day ...yes a bed would filter some of the same water etc ...but they are our cleaners...

So we can either fund this directly through tax dollars , through crowd funding or through private enterprise ...all have their costs but we must start to rebuild he mussel and then scallop and oyster beds that were our lungs of the sea in Tasman bay.

Where to from here...I've e-mailed cawthorn asking for any info , ideas the have for a project like this and await their reply. I will this weekend harvest some mussels and run them up the coast and bed them in myself on a tank ...yes a minute token but a token all of he same.
    Pengy and Moa Hunter like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Yes there is a pile of shell visible from the road just out of Havlock and I'm sure with a bit of asking about you could source a truck and trailer load without a problem.

Ok so we have a sludge silt problem, so what we as a community have managed to do is harvest the filtration system out of Tasman bay! No blaming no finger pointing...the mussels were harvested and eaten and the scallops were harvested and eaten , even the gooey duck were harvested and eaten . So we've eaten our filtration system ....now we reap what we have sown a sludge silt pit ...according to google a mussel can filter up to or more than twenty five litres a day ...yes a bed would filter some of the same water etc ...but they are our cleaners...

So we can either fund this directly through tax dollars , through crowd funding or through private enterprise ...all have their costs but we must start to rebuild he mussel and then scallop and oyster beds that were our lungs of the sea in Tasman bay.

Where to from here...I've e-mailed cawthorn asking for any info , ideas the have for a project like this and await their reply. I will this weekend harvest some mussels and run them up the coast and bed them in myself on a tank ...yes a minute token but a token all of he same.
    Will they reattach once ripped off?

Quick google says yes they can!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

stingray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Yes thanks and have submitted. Malbrough sounds gets the first round of effort to support the remaining beds ...bit concerned that Tasman and Golden bay biomass are described as negliable..I disagree with that ..but then Im bias but do know of beds in these areas that remain viable if not doing well!
    Nil durum volenti !!