Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Rainbow road and molesworth

Any other hot tips for camping spots @woods223

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post

Text ya.
    Also plenty of flat ground over Maling Pass beside the Waiau River to camp.
    kukuwai likes this.

Not going to be too specific. Between accomodation house and Cobb cottage you’ll probably get moved on by doc guys doing evening road closure sweep, unless you duck up one of the gullies by pudding hill or Yarra valley. On rainbow road there’s plenty of good camp spots where you probably won’t get bothered eg. Leaderdale confluence, segemere hut area or Fowlers hut. On Rainbow stn. there’s any number of good stopping places.
    kukuwai likes this.

Cheers

Back from the road trip, great part of the country and awesome to be able to drive thru the guts of it.

Years of fishing to be had on the Acheron. Clarence and Wairua. We only scratched a tiny hole on it. Mark caught a couple of brown trout each day, I educated a few..

Drove up Awetere valley and stayed first night at Acheron homestead camp site, fished the Acheron and Clarence until we had baked enough in the sun.. Drove over to Rainbow rd via Lake windy (Tennyson) and camped at Coldwater camp (Sandfly central), fished the Wairua today, lovely cold fast water.

Really needed a couple more days up there and will head back for sure, so much to explore. Nice to tick off these iconic back country roads.

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
    Tahr, veitnamcam, madjon_ and 23 others like this.

Hi I am dragging the van around the South Island in march, looking for back country places to see, is there anywhere in molesworth I could get without wreaking something pleaseName:  20231228_125717.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  4.92 MB

Quote Originally Posted by witchcraft View Post
    Hi I am dragging the van around the South Island in march, looking for back country places to see, is there anywhere in molesworth I could get without wreaking something pleaseAttachment 241550
    I was going to take our Jayco from Hanmer to St James homestead. One mate said ‘you couuuuuld do it, but…’ whilst another stated he’s towed his van to St James on several occasions. The road can be very pot holey and I’ve no intention of damaging my rig. We’ve decided to park at Hanmer using either NZMCA camp by the bridge or one of the commercial campsites in town.
    witchcraft likes this.

@witchcraft the molesworth/Acheron rd doesn't allow vehicles over 7m or towing caravans, however we did pass stock truck and trailer unit and i think the road is fine to tow on.

The rainbow station website says you can tow on rainbow road, it's a tougher road than molesworth and has a couple of ford's that require a bit of ground clearance and a few step cut up accents, but nothing that required 4wd. There website says to give them a call or e-mail and they can advise if you vans suitable, I would say you want a caravan with good suspension and ground clearance.

Hammer over Jacks pass and to Acheron homestead would be fine, gravel rd so dusty, same goes with up to St James and Lake Tennyson, there were horse floats at St James Homestead and boats and caravans at the lake.

Dust ingress into your van may be an issue.

stingray and witchcraft like this.

Great fishing, but this time of year the sandflies will drive you absolutely mental.
    witchcraft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    I was going to take our Jayco from Hanmer to St James homestead. One mate said ‘you couuuuuld do it, but…’ whilst another stated he’s towed his van to St James on several occasions. The road can be very pot holey and I’ve no intention of damaging my rig. We’ve decided to park at Hanmer using either NZMCA camp by the bridge or one of the commercial campsites in town.
    There is a freedom camping spot within walking distance of Hanmer township too.
    Happy Jack.

Rainbow road was absolutely stunning !! Blue bird days no wind.

Not technical in any way, just lovely driving. If you haven't done it....do it !!

Infact if you have a capable vehicle and are travelling up or down the south island i reckon its the more preferable route between Hanmer and Nelson !! I drove home via the lewis (500km round trip) no where near as cool ! Should have just gone back thru the rainbow

Certainly more direct, and definitely worth the $60 toll.

As for the fishing....

We seen what we think was a salmon (judging by the size of it) in a deep pool near hells gate. Should have taken a photo but didn't.

Had a few casts in the Sedgemere tarns. Seen about half a dozen big eels and a few trout cruising the shallows. Probably more suited to fly fishing as fairly shallow and weedy.

Lake tennyson is one hell of a spot on a nice day.

It seemed to be very well stocked with small fish so after letting plenty go we decided that we had better thin them out a bit so it was trout sandwiches from then on.

Can't recomend the trip highly enough. Epic scenery, good fishing and hardly anyone about. Seen a few cyclists, a couple of motorbikes and had to pull over for three vehicles coming towards us the entire drive !!!

Get amongst it

Excellent. You are lucky it was so quiet.
    kukuwai likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Excellent. You are lucky it was so quiet.
    Got a bit lucky both roads mate. Just cruised back over the lewis late yesterday. Was in no hurry as had been a big couple days.

Bearly had car roar up behind me. They were all in the southbound lane !! Far out... boats, caravans, kayaks you name it !!

Nothing like a bit of rain at the top of the island to push them in that direction i guess

veitnamcam and Shearer like this.

Got a bit lucky both roads mate. Just cruised back over the lewis late yesterday. Was in no hurry as had been a big couple days.

Bearly had car roar up behind me. They were all in the southbound lane !! Far out... boats, caravans, kayaks you name it !!

Nothing like a bit of rain at the top of the island to push them in that direction i guess

Be all heading home from Kaiteriteri and Tahunanui campsites
    veitnamcam and kukuwai like this.
    Happy Jack.

Awesome mate,

well done on the trout from Lake Tennyson, you are right in that the population needs thinning out so it's suggested to take your limit from that lake.

The big fish at hells gates could have been a brownie, rumors of double digit fish in the upper reaches..

Great part of the country.

Cheers

stingray, Shearer, kukuwai and 2 others like this.