Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Makros
  • 2 Post By BRADS
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By XR500

Thread: Ruahine Forrest Park trout fishing?

Ruahine Forrest Park trout fishing?

Hi all,

In the planning stage for a backcountry trip between xmas and NYs, looking for suggestions on any rivers in the Ruahines worth a visit. Was think of walking in from eastern side to Colenso hut (Mangatera river) and then down to Iron bark across to Otukota hut on the Maropea river. Then to Maropea Forks and back down via either sparrow hawke bivy or Colenso spur and then back to car.

Wondering if its worth carrying fly rod for Mangatera river and Maropea rivers?

Cheers FBD

Saw quite a few trout just above and below Maropea Forks Hut a few months ago.
    XR500 and Fat belly Dog like this.

If you come down off colenso the Makaroro River is loaded with fish

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum and Fat belly Dog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    If you come down off colenso the Makaroro River is loaded with fish

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    thanks Fellas, sounds like its worth carrying a rod in to spend a few hours mid day fly fishing

would the trout be up as far as upper Makaroro Hut?

That could be another option to head up Makaroro to Barlow Hut fishing and hunting up the river, overnight Barlow then head up to Colenso spur along the tops to Sparrowhawk bivy, down Sparrowhawk track with a side trip to Gold Creek Hut up via Gold creek. Will be the dog and myself rod and rifle, fly camping probably. If I have time and fitness could drop down into Maropea Forks

Just have to check access to the track ends with the dog as I think you cross farm land for both sparrowhawk and sentry box

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    thanks Fellas, sounds like its worth carrying a rod in to spend a few hours mid day fly fishing

would the trout be up as far as upper Makaroro Hut?

That could be another option to head up Makaroro to Barlow Hut fishing and hunting up the river, overnight Barlow then head up to Colenso spur along the tops to Sparrowhawk bivy, down Sparrowhawk track with a side trip to Gold Creek Hut up via Gold creek. Will be the dog and myself rod and rifle, fly camping probably. If I have time and fitness could drop down into Maropea Forks

Just have to check access to the track ends with the dog as I think you cross farm land for both sparrowhawk and sentry box
    Saw this spawn survey:https://www.hbrc.govt.nz/assets/Docu...Rivwe-2011.pdf
    Fat belly Dog likes this.

Just Checked with DOC and no access for Dogs via Makaroro River from Wakarara Road end due to crossing farm, I did ask for farmers number to call and ask permission but didnt get a reply from DOC.

Dog is stock proof, Kiwi Trained and up to date with Sheep measles vax. Oh well will have to walk in another (hard) way

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Just Checked with DOC and no access for Dogs via Makaroro River from Wakarara Road end due to crossing farm, I did ask for farmers number to call and ask permission but didnt get a reply from DOC.

Dog is stock proof, Kiwi Trained and up to date with Sheep measles vax. Oh well will have to walk in another (hard) way
    Well if you are following the purple line on the WAMS map you are not crossing farm land to access the river, you are walking a public (paper) road to access the river.

That watershed was my possuming block in the 70's. BIG coons up on the snowline. Always thought we had poisoned someones dog when we got a monster. Waay too big for our drying boards.

Used to get the XR500 up past Centre Makaroro hut (long gone) and up towards upper Makaroro hut to cart in and out the heavy stuff. 20kg bag of flour didn't last all that long making lure, as we took a cook book and ate like pigs whenever baking bread was on the menu. Fish may have also made their way into the frypan.....The boys in green would have a blue fit if you took a bike that far into the Ruahines. But it worked for us. Couldn't afford choppers back then
    Moa Hunter likes this.