Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Salt water reel

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Interesting, I have one of their cheap "hundy dollar" snapper combo's which gets absolutely thrashed and not loved afterwards. Still working after 5 years and caught more than a few big snapper
    I paid $300 for an okuma overhead combo hooked a good sized snapper with it and the reel shit itself at the most crucial time and as chris said the warranty was only good for wiping your arse with so okuma lost a potential follower with me. penn, shimano, Fin-nor and daiwa is where it is at for reels and rods IMHO.
    Gibo and Danny like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Penn is dropping its game too. More worried about gold handles and looking gay than fuctioning at a high level
    Danny likes this.

Abu Garcia make some bloody good gear too if you stick to their high end stuff.
    Danny likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Have to agree, Shimano for snapper (stray line) and Daiwa for Te Kingis.

Dan M
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Have to agree, Shimano for snapper (stray line) and Daiwa for Te Kingis.

Dan M
    You forgot Shimano for stickface's

Done deal Fin- nor off shore . It appears built like a tank ! Almost weigh as much too
    stingray and Matt2308 like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Done deal Fin- nor off shore . It appears built like a tank ! Almost weigh as much too
    The rod is equally important imo, it should be doing all the hard yards while the reel just helps restrict and retreive line in and out.
    You get the combo right and a small drag reel will keep up with a big fish as long as hes not working alone
    Munsey likes this.

Good choice Munsey ,if its in the same league as the off-shore rod I just brought .
    Munsey likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Now you just got to get a kingfish attached to it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Munsey likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Any reel can catch a Kingy but some are better then others. Personally i fish for Kingfish with Stellas as I go out too soley target Kingy's and want to be able to stop them if i hook up a 30 or 40kg fish. In saying this I have no doubt that the likes of the fin-nor and Okuma are able to stop kingfish but if you are giving them shit 24-7 then they wont last as long as the better quality gear. The longevity of any reel also comes down to how they are looked after. Alot of guys treat there gear like shit, don't clean it and expect it to last. It doesn't matter if you are fishing a Stella or a Fin-nor if you don't look after the reel its not going to last, simple as that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Have a fish with one. You may be surprised.
    Some of the top end Okuma gear is ok, certainly not like the cheap junk that they produce...but comparing it to a Stella!