Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Scallops top of the south season looking grim

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Recreational Tac is increasing by 160t to 250t same as comms BUT Marlborough Rec's want a 5 fish limit across the entire area as Nelson Fishos are catching their fish or thats how I read it anyway
    Why the fuck would a Nelson fisho fish the sounds for snapper?
    Even 20 years ago when Nelson was shit and the sounds was great it wasnt worth the drive and steam to fish the sounds for snapper.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Why the fuck would a Nelson fisho fish the sounds for snapper?
    Even 20 years ago when Nelson was shit and the sounds was great it wasnt worth the drive and steam to fish the sounds for snapper.
    I think they are meaning Durville rather than the sound
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I think they are meaning Durville rather than the sound
    Thats Nelson always has been.

Sounds to me that the marlbrough Rec spokesman Peter Waston is trying to just look after his own patch and crying like a right tosser. Moaning about nelson people coming into 'theํr 'so called patch and catching "their"snapper. Everyone has the right to fish where ever they want, people from afar have always travelled to fish the sounds and surrounding areas but the fishery is fine here for snapper for people not to worry about going to the sounds to catch snapper. Hes trying to blame nelson people and some other factors for the state of the fishery in the sounds and its quite good for the marlbrough Recs isnt it that he suggests that its a 5 snapper bag for the whole top of the south.
    Hes not concerned about limting the catch for the fishery but more so that the sounds gets a increase to 5 from 3 and using the great catch rates here to have some sort of bs arguement.
    Just recently there was a report out that was stating that the increase in snapper in the bay but not a great increase at all in the sounds was down to two factors.
    1 decrease in the commercal catch from past years.
    2 Increase in water temp here in the Bay and not the same increase in water temp in the sounds.
    Snapper prefer the warmer waters here in nelson hence better numbers than the sounds....
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Sounds is out of bounds, this season. Golden bay and that side of the bay is still open.

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/12963
    veitnamcam and deer243 like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Sounds is out of bounds, this season. Golden bay and that side of the bay is still open.

http://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/12963
    Thanks for the map I couldnt find it.

MPI website sucks balls.

Anyone got a batch in golden bay I / we can hire for a weekend ... I just want a feed ... One sweet BBQ of fresh scallops and good beer with great company.
    veitnamcam and Pengy like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

R93
    Is golden bay worth a dive mate? Never been up them ways diving.

I am bumbed and happy at the same time the Scollys will get a break in the sounds.

Apart from maybe a few snaps I doubt I will get up them ways this year

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

No idea to be honest.... Whispers say it is ... Am I keen ...Hell yes!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Anyone got a batch in golden bay I / we can hire for a weekend ... I just want a feed ... One sweet BBQ of fresh scallops and good beer with great company.
    I might know someone but does anyone know where some scollops are? Did teracoie (spelling?) Ever recover from being strip mined by comercials?

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    up our way ( Coromandel) we get paralytic shell fish poisoning, and that regulates the shell fish take. Been there once and not again
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Time to start scallop farming?

It being tried in varying forms from suspended cages on mussel line ,to trying to get sole access to a large chuck of the okiwi bed. They even went to the effort to lay a wire boundary of "their feild" and having divers clear out star fish from their patch.

The was and I'm unsure if it is continued seeding of harvested comercial beds. Which was successful in part except for Tasman bay where the scallop spat and mussel spat was released in the same beds, then another attempt in Tasman bay but the bed it self is seems to be either toxic or so sedimented that the spat is being suffocated.

Golden bay also has also being a fantastic bed, the word was that they reseeded the bed after a harvest season, then we had a hell spring storm which saw the river mouth a k wide pumping silt all over the new scallops . This could have buggered the bed anyway.. So it's anyone's guess.

At present we stand in a circle all pointing fingers , blaming each other , forestry , dairying , comercial , amature, hell I've heard every argument, seen pine slash all over the boulder bank and Tahauna beach, talked to the firt blokes who tell me of the tons of the stuff they put on Hort and dairy farms beside the waimea river and tributes, I've seen the size and weight of comercial dredges that have being dragged repeatedly through Tasman bay , and I've seen charter boats take 20 fishos out and pull a 1000 scallops a trip. As well as boats that limit day after day ,weekend after weekend heaping there scallops into the freezer ...( hand up here I've done it myself), And have being asked to help full tickets written by Maori wardens to take 3,4,5 hundred scallops...

My suggestions ..
    closed season this year , and next, possibly a third.
    A scallop permit, one of seasonal license..to pay for bed seeding. ( I hate this idea as well ..as soon as you have a pool of money you get noses in the trough sucking up the $ producing fuck all. ) and which beds when etc it just becomes a bloody nightmare.

Comercial divers rather than dredging .. Expensive ..hell yes .. But they become a premium product and demand a price accordingly... Problems ..black market and people want to enjoy a product they have always being able to afford. So will not support a change in harvesting.

Forestry slash is mulched after harvesting, this happens by law overseas ... A personal bug bear, that slash piles end up in our water ways and on beaches. Yes an added cost to forestry but but there are teams working through the slash recovering fibre now so why not go the whole hog and mulch the whole damn lot.

Boat limits for amatures 100 scallops per boat.

Change of rec and comercial season to August when the fish put on weight rather than the thin ones we harvest in July.

Rant over ....just thoughts that's all.

Edit to add .. Seeding was quite successfull in the outer sounds , okiwi , and Waitata reach, my own personal attempts were not we had a bed that I and others worked over very hard for a couple of seasons it produced some fantastic scallops. Huge sweet clean meat., but we buggered it. I have on a number of times taken taken scallops from a shallow bed in fine sand / mud and hand placed them in this previously amazing bed ( but course sand but simalar depth) , with no success I wonder if the scallops cannot handle the change of sediment / current.

This also makes me wonder if the spat bring seeded cannot adapt the conditions they are placed in.
    Last edited by stingray; 13-07-2016 at 11:22 PM.
    Nil durum volenti !!

I see Guytons advertising fresh North Island scollops for sale.

Fishing rules app updated.
    Larger area closed....basically the whole top of South.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk