Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: Seal Attack !

Banned

Seal Attack !

Run for the hills the seals have turned Rabid ! Last night we were at the Waimak mouth Kahawai fishing. The fishing action started an hour after high tide and then a seal, which had been taking the odd fish off lines on other days started coming out of the water and chasing people up the beach as they landed fish and even chased a bloke carrying a fish a good fourty metres
    across dry sand, people running and scattering, it was pretty serious. Mrs had a fish taken off her line just as she had it ready to 'beach'. Told the young fella that seals love the taste of 'childrens meat' even more than Kahawai in the hope that he would keep a safe distance, but someone will get bitten.

Was it a seal or sea lion?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Was it a male or a female? I’ve never had an issue with females but have had numerous aggressive encounters with males while spear fishing around Banks Peninsula and Kaikoura. Not sure if it is territorial or whether they feel threatened, but it isn’t much fun having a high speed bull seal coming at you baring his teeth and growling while you’re in the water. Have had to give a few a jab with the end of my spear to discourage them.
    7mmwsm and Moa Hunter like this.

if a male sealion is chasing you throw some tupperware at them...............they will stop chasing you because they like a good tight seal

He's back!
    7mmwsm, timattalon and dannyb like this.

yep, couldnt log in for days as lost the password and the password reset didnt work until the 10th time i tried

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Was it a male or a female? I’ve never had an issue with females but have had numerous aggressive encounters with males while spear fishing around Banks Peninsula and Kaikoura. Not sure if it is territorial or whether they feel threatened, but it isn’t much fun having a high speed bull seal coming at you baring his teeth and growling while you’re in the water. Have had to give a few a jab with the end of my spear to discourage them.
    Had my first encounter with a couple sea lions in the water a month or two back while spearfishing at Jacks Bay (Catlins) made me a bit nervous especially as the viz wasn't very good and when they first showed up all I saw was a couple or larges shapes zoom past then spin around and come back towards me. More curious than anything but an animal that size with no fear of humans is intimidating to say the least!
    Mate got buzzed by a leopard seal at Stewart Island last year and that was the end of the days activities, straight back on the boat, no sticking around to find out if it was friendly or not!
    7mmwsm, 308, Micky Duck and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

I have to say that the first few times a large fast moving object went past me in the murk when diving that “seal” wasn’t the first thing I thought of. Almost squirted a bit of ‘octopus ink’ myself!!
    veitnamcam, Fisherman, GWH and 6 others like this.

apparently you taste better with that on the outside
    Pengy, Sika stag and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sauer View Post
    Wasnt a super big model, but a big mature fur seal of probably 150 / 175kg at a guess. I hadnt considered its gender but it has a more male face than the 'finer' featured female seals that we see with pups. (So probably a youngish mature male Ryan S.)
    I had a well weighted piece of driftwood ready to smack him in the face If he got too close to anyone. Probably should have just done it in the interest of public safety

Get Andrew Hore on the job.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Wasnt a super big model, but a big mature fur seal of probably 150 / 175kg at a guess. I hadnt considered its gender but it has a more male face than the 'finer' featured female seals that we see with pups. (So probably a youngish mature male Ryan S.)
    I had a well weighted piece of driftwood ready to smack him in the face If he got too close to anyone. Probably should have just done it in the interest of public safety
    try hard not to get bitten - seal bites can turn very very nasty and take months to heal
    veitnamcam and Black Rabbit like this.

They can carry leptospirosis so being bitten wouldn’t be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Run for the hills the seals have turned Rabid ! Last night we were at the Waimak mouth Kahawai fishing. The fishing action started an hour after high tide and then a seal, which had been taking the odd fish off lines on other days started coming out of the water and chasing people up the beach as they landed fish and even chased a bloke carrying a fish a good fourty metres
    across dry sand, people running and scattering, it was pretty serious. Mrs had a fish taken off her line just as she had it ready to 'beach'. Told the young fella that seals love the taste of 'childrens meat' even more than Kahawai in the hope that he would keep a safe distance, but someone will get bitten.

Give DOC a ring and let them know of the situation, then they can remove the problem animal , before someone else decides to
    Nil durum volenti !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Give DOC a ring and let them know of the situation, then they can remove the problem animal , before someone else decides to
    They will probably have Ecan close the beach for the seals sake
    keneff likes this.