Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree173Likes

Thread: Show us your Fishing gear

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Bait and burley dinosaurs still roam the open seas it seems

The A-team:

- Mechanical jigging: Jigstar rod + Avet reel
    - Heavy slow jigging: Shimano Revolution + Abu Garcia 6501
    - Light slow jigging: Ocean Angler Bender + Abu Garcia 4601
    - Microjigging/softbaiting: Explorer XT rod + Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 2500

Plus a shit load of game fishing gear, bottom fishing rods, surf rods and freshwater gear that rarely gets used.
    How do you rate the Avet? They look very nice.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    How do you rate the Avet? They look very nice.
    It's a good solid reel, more of a Land Rover than a Porsche, but it does the job. It's predecessor was an Accurate, that was something else! Sadly it went to Davy Jones and it wasn't my fault
    veitnamcam likes this.

It's a good solid reel, more of a Land Rover than a Porsche, but it does the job. It's predecessor was an Accurate, that was something else! Sadly it went to Davy Jones and it wasn't my fault
    So want a DFS Slammer. Tougher than Chuck Norris
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    So want a DFS Slammer. Tougher than Chuck Norris
    Chuck Norris is an actor like Whisky with Joff
    Shootm and gadgetman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Unlike a reel to leak oil?
    Bugger.
    veitnamcam and kiwijames like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Chuck Norris is an actor like Whisky with Joff
    Yeah. And the Accurate is tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Unlike a reel to leak oil?
    Bugger.
    If it only leaked oil that would be bearable.

R93
    What I have never understood about so many people that are right handed is why they would fight with there left and wind with there right.

I am right handed everything and wind with my left. Pain in the ass buying baitcaster or overheads with left hand wind.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    What I have never understood about so many people that are right handed is why they would fight with there left and wind with there right.

I am right handed everything and wind with my left. Pain in the ass buying baitcaster or overheads with left hand wind.

I'm with you on that one Dave. I find a RH reel is perfect for a true lefty. Fly fishing looks awkward the supposed right way. Cast, swap hands, retrieve, swap hands, cast again.
    Shearer likes this.

R93
    Both my fly reels are L/H wind pretty sure. Haven't used them for a while.
    People do the same with baitcaster and spin reels cast with their right and then change hands. Maybe I am used to it as my old man is a lefty.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

You are weird and against what is considered normal.

However in this case, I also agree with you.
    Hold the rod with right hand and winding with the left hand just makes sense.

As with KJ, I also have a lefty father, and he winds with the right hand.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Both my fly reels are L/H wind pretty sure. Haven't used them for a while.
    People do the same with baitcaster and spin reels cast with their right and then change hands. Maybe I am used to it as my old man is a lefty.

All my eggbeaters are set up lefthand wind as I cast right handed and its just retarded to swap hands especially softbaiting.
    My overheads are righthand wind as mainly used for deep water jigs with no casting involved.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Beaker likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

@vietnamcam nah mate no charters but over the years the gear has built up. You have to have enough for all eventualities 4x 37kg and 4x 24kg outfits is never too many I do a lot of live baiting as well so you have to have some of those on board as well. Like shooting fishing is an addiction and there is always more gear to get.

Name:  DSC_0002-2.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  197.8 KB

MB
    Re: handedness - I'm open minded, fish however you want, but swapping hands is retarded as vietnamcam says, couldn't have worded it better!

there are increasing numbers of left hand wind reels on the market, but i really struggled with game reels. think i probably bought the last two lefty game reels in NZ! i just can't use right hand wind reels. a very helpful tackleshop owner suggested i learn to use right hand wind. for me, it would be as difficult as learning to write left handed.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Fly cast with my right, work the line with my left and swap and wind with my right, gives a better feel when netting. Same with salt water fishing. It just for me gives better control. Also dad was a lefty, as is brother, I surf as a goofy footer and not as a natural.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"