Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Soft baits or lures on trout?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Barbarians? Hardly.

Closer to Barbers than Barbarians, and when I say barbers, I mean "that organic hand cream would go well with your man-bun" type barber.

Now get back to work or don't apprentices even sweep floors anymore in Auckland.
    Hell no! I am a third year. My job is to annoy the service manager to get me interesting jobs. Brooms are for the peasants

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    As for lure, if you don't want to get in to fly fishing, it's hard to go past a small Mepps spinner on light gear. I usually change the treble out for a single hook.
    I figured fly fishing was a skill that would take more time than I would have to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    I like a selection of both soft baits and hard lures. But if I was forced to choice just one type it would soft baits. Mostly depends on the water you are fishing of course.
    Kaimanawa rivers when I either shit a deer or got annoyed and want to pass the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Mepps Black Fury or Black and gold Toby, if you cant catch a trout on one of those two then you simply cant catch trout.
    Get a fly rod, it's not as difficult as it seems once you got the hang of it, and if you get bored you can catch kahawai at river mouths with nearly any streamer fly, and catching a kahawai on a fly rod is like fighting a marlin on a hand line.. awesome fun!
    Sounds like a good time! I will have a look at fly rods.

As long as you got a licence and played by the rules good on ya. I'm just yanking a chain or two.
    Mind you, I think a tin of sardines would be better eating.
    Well that throws a spanner in the works. I will have to investigate the license needed to take a kaimanawa trout.

As long as you got a licence and played by the rules good on ya. I'm just yanking a chain or two.
    Mind you, I think a tin of sardines would be better eating.
    This all played out in the beer garden of an old English country pub, that happened to have a chalk stream running trough it that contained escapees from a local hatchery.
    Obviously not very legit in any shape or form. But fun whilst sipping a warm beer
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    not a very good penguin as they dont need fishing rods.
    A discreet handline in this case
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

You will need a Taupo district licence and there are conditions on which areas/rivers are spin-able. Aside from that the Mepps or the Tobys are both good options.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Actually I lie. Thought the Taupo area covered more of the Kaimanawas. Fish and game BOP probably be the ticket depending on where/how far in you go.

taupo-fishing-district-map-and-regulations.pdf

small rapalas small veltics or mepps...... fly below a bubble...worm where legal.... loats of methods work...and worm fishing is fun and so effective its banned in many waterways. a large cricket hooked lightly through back flicked out infrom of trout is just about fool proof... big cicada would do the same..
    Pengy likes this.

For soft baits go as small and as light as you can.
    I'd avoid a telescoping rod and go for a cheap 4 piece as the cheap tele rods can be a pain in the butt.
    Match the hatch aptly applies to spinning also.

What Bullies you see try match you're lures to.

If in doubt try a rainbow pattern, a dark pattern like a Black and gold Toby and a silver pattern.

From there you can find out what works.

Veltec spoons work a treat too plus their very easy to use.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Post a photo or two of the water and we will tell you how to fish it - Fast runs into drop offs, cast upstream with a Mepps or Veltec retieved fast, slower water cast across and down with a Rapala.
    Use the correct retrieve speed relative to the water speed so that the lure looks lifelike. Softbaits are not easy to master, they need to be retrieved with gentle raising and lowering jerks and pauses not cast and retrieve like a Toby or Zeddy. A Black Magic jellybean with splitshot beats a softbait

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Actually I lie. Thought the Taupo area covered more of the Kaimanawas. Fish and game BOP probably be the ticket depending on where/how far in you go.

Attachment 115013
    The one I want to use is prohibited all year round so will have to find somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    small rapalas small veltics or mepps...... fly below a bubble...worm where legal.... loats of methods work...and worm fishing is fun and so effective its banned in many waterways. a large cricket hooked lightly through back flicked out infrom of trout is just about fool proof... big cicada would do the same..
    Cheers. Using bush insects sounds like an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    For soft baits go as small and as light as you can.
    I'd avoid a telescoping rod and go for a cheap 4 piece as the cheap tele rods can be a pain in the butt.
    Match the hatch aptly applies to spinning also.

What Bullies you see try match you're lures to.

If in doubt try a rainbow pattern, a dark pattern like a Black and gold Toby and a silver pattern.

From there you can find out what works.

Veltec spoons work a treat too plus their very easy to use.
    Ok. I was thinking of a telescopic rod. Will keep an eye out for a 4 piece. Needs to fit in a pack.

Thanks for the lures to try

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Post a photo or two of the water and we will tell you how to fish it - Fast runs into drop offs, cast upstream with a Mepps or Veltec retieved fast, slower water cast across and down with a Rapala.
    Use the correct retrieve speed relative to the water speed so that the lure looks lifelike. Softbaits are not easy to master, they need to be retrieved with gentle raising and lowering jerks and pauses not cast and retrieve like a Toby or Zeddy. A Black Magic jellybean with splitshot beats a softbait
    The stream I wanted to try is prohibited all year round. So may have to try another one.

Thanks so much for the advice! Invaluable.

Banned
    That is small water, best kiwijames and I come and catch them for you on #4 sage fly rods. To fish it with a spin rod the second photo has some good water below that white water drop off to the centre rock and then below the rock. Put a worm on a size 14 fly hook and about a metre and a half above the hook attach a small piece of dry branch with a rubber band or a split to the line. Stand 15 metres upstream of the pool let the float take the line and worm down the current to the pool then flick the bail arm over and walk down at the same speed as the float. When a trout takes the float will stop and jab down so smoothly lift the rod till you feel weight, but if the worm is just a little snagged it will stop and hold in the current and can be gently drawn back off the snag. Keep walking down until your creel is full
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    That is small water, best kiwijames and I come and catch them for you on #4 sage fly rods. To fish it with a spin rod the second photo has some good water below that white water drop off to the centre rock and then below the rock. Put a worm on a size 14 fly hook and about a metre and a half above the hook attach a small piece of dry branch with a rubber band or a split to the line. Stand 15 metres upstream of the pool let the float take the line and worm down the current to the pool then flick the bail arm over and walk down at the same speed as the float. When a trout takes the float will stop and jab down so smoothly lift the rod till you feel weight, but if the worm is just a little snagged it will stop and hold in the current and can be gently drawn back off the snag. Keep walking down until your creel is full
    Legend