Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Spear Guns

^Agreed. Spring steel if you can get it, flopper down if you can get it. Don't bother with paralyzer heads or slip tips. RA's are good, wettie had some other brand ones which weren't to badly priced from memory. I prefer shorter overhang, but 40cm or less is the general rule.
    @gadgetman you will need new mono & crimps for a new spear too - 200-300lb is about right IMO, I prefer the lighter stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    So long as it's doesnt look like this old girl I think it will be fine
    Attachment 45779
    Check out the tactical fore-grip. Just paint it black, add a red dot and a tactical torch.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Check out the tactical fore-grip. Just paint it black, add a red dot and a tactical torch.
    Bet with a cleanup and new rubber it would still bring home a feed.

I've mucked around with a few old guns - find the plastic explodes with age and sun baking I guess....
    I did a bit of a restore on a big old NZ manufactured speargun - and on the first dive I was on the edge of a big dropoff, pulled the trigger on a fish and the barrel disappeared into the gloom and I was left holding the handle... pretty funny.
    I've just about finished a restore on a older ali barrelled gun - cut it right down to about 40-50cm - wee pistol - but about the right size for my 6yr old who is keen as mustard.
    Pretty neat being out in big water with a wee guy right on my shoulder - giving him a entry into the peaceful world of kai moana gathering that I've enjoyed for so many years.

Well its here....now to work out how to load and use it.

Intsructions consisted of

And

Which was really helpful not.

I did figure out this little dial seems to make it "safe" and two different trigger pulls.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

They are pretty much impossible to load out of the water . Just get familiar to how to put shaft back in the gun , and how the line gets set .

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    They are pretty much impossible to load out of the water . Just get familiar to how to put shaft back in the gun , and how the line gets set .

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk
    Yea that would be handy information to put in the manual!😂

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkeye View Post
    ^Agreed. Spring steel if you can get it, flopper down if you can get it. Don't bother with paralyzer heads or slip tips. RA's are good, wettie had some other brand ones which weren't to badly priced from memory. I prefer shorter overhang, but 40cm or less is the general rule.
    @gadgetman you will need new mono & crimps for a new spear too - 200-300lb is about right IMO, I prefer the lighter stuff.
    I got the only head I could find in the city for now. If I want anything else I'll probably need to import it of make it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

VC, I'd swap out that float line for something much more substantial in diameter. You'll find that thin line with get wrapped up in everything. Get some 8-10mm diameter 15-20meters poly rope with "no memory".
    veitnamcam likes this.

And forget the safety. More hassle than they're worth imo.

Float line will be fine once it's had a few days out.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkeye View Post
    And forget the safety. More hassle than they're worth imo.

Float line will be fine once it's had a few days out.
    Yea it is almost impossible to use with dry ungloved hands so I assume it is just for storage not that you would store loaded anyway.

Yeah, most guys I dive with just pull them out and bin them. All guns are unloaded before taking them out of the water, as you say.

I currently own 7 spearguns. first thing I do is I either disassemble the handle and remove the safety or superglue it in the off position. I have never had a gun go off unwanted and I've been diving for nearly 10 yrs.

Best description of loading I can give is to use your non-master hand on the rubber and master on the gun handle. Pull with the hand on the rubber at the same time as pushing with the hand on the handle. In the same motion move the butt of the handle into the centre of your chest (aim for between the nipples definitely not the stomach). Once it is stable in the centre of your chest you can let go of the handle and grab the partially stretched rubber with both hands and stretch it to the notch of the spear.
    I'm no midget but I have loaded guns up to 1.6m - using the correct technique is key.

You should be sweet to load it out of the water (may take a few attempts) but do not fire it out of the water - You will likely break it and or hut yourself - Unless you have drunk at least half a bottle of rum, then it will be fine.
    Last edited by Dorkus; 16-02-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    veitnamcam, stingray and sambnz like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

HA ha yeah I did just load it before
    Strength is not an issue but the tiny pad with sharp corners on my chest is.
    Guess I just need some cement pills.

I've only ever owned one gun with a loading butt - I hacksawed that fukcer off before I left the shop!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

One thing I was told to be really aware of is when your spear starts to develop a little bit of pitting or roughness on the shaft, be super careful with the dynema wishbone. The fastest way to break/wear through a wishbone is to draw the wishbone along the rough spear shaft while loading.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.