Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Trout/perch spin rig advice please.....

MB
    Longer rods give you more bank clearance as well, so you can avoid weed/branches/bushes at your feet. Longer rods also make it harder to avoid overhanging branches. Everything is a tradeoff and it's something of a personal choice. I like 7ft rods for small rivers, longer for larger rivers and lakes.
    bumblefoot likes this.

BUT a longer rod is a pain in the arse when you solo and trying to get fish into net....flyrods are the pinnicle of this issue.... in fact its an issue in small dingy too....you have to trust person on net and piss off back to other side of boat,lifting rod high to lift fish to surface while they scoop net under it.... swings n roundabouts.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    in fact its an issue in small dingy too....
    Hmmm hadn't thought of that as I'm thinking of getting a fishing kayak for Lake Rotorangi.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    BUT a longer rod is a pain in the arse when you solo and trying to get fish into net....flyrods are the pinnicle of this issue.... in fact its an issue in small dingy too....you have to trust person on net and piss off back to other side of boat,lifting rod high to lift fish to surface while they scoop net under it.... swings n roundabouts.
    I disagree. It all comes down to technique. If the rod is pointing vertical it doesn't matter how long it is because the rod hand (right) is the same distance from the net hand (left) as it is with a four foot rod. And with a long rod there will be more fish to land too. 7' is better than 6'6" and the same with rods
    bumblefoot likes this.

yip BUT as in case of fly rod...by the time the bend is taken into accout as well as the 9-14ft leader/trace its a heck of a stretch to get rod back far enough to bring fish into the net. if your rod was truely verticle there is no bend in it...no pressure on line.... a longer handle on landing net solves the issue as does a 2nd person to hold the net....
    but the sheilahs will say size doesnt matter its all in how you use it.
    bumblefoot likes this.

6"6 rod and a 2500 reel, spool 6lb mono, to start with. Go for a bladed spinner sz 2 , mepps black fury and veltic work well get a few different colors. Use the smallest snap clip swivel (stops line twist and easy to change lures).
    My go to is a 6"6 okuma nanomatrix, Okuma Helios reel with 4lb mono. But any rod or reel will work to start with, also maybe some rapala lures for any deeper water.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot likes this.

@bomber Thank you
    bomber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    @bomber Thank you
    I'll be hopefully up Taranaki next weekend hoping to wet the line,while there if the borders still open

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot likes this.

Re lures: I get a real buzz from making my own. Two weeks ago I bought a mother of pearl bracelet for $2 off T/M. Carefully drilled holes at each end allowed split rings and ring -swivel combo to be fitted. The natural twist of the pearl offers really wobbly action. Kept five very nice rainbow from Monday, when nothing else worked.

Level 3 coming up; I can finally buy my rod and actually go fishing!

Couldn't wait so bought it today.....
    bomber likes this.

keep us posted bud......be neat to see you with some fish.

All good info there and remember perch are a great eating fish too a very nice white flesh just fry them up in butter. Some bones but pull out easily. I can recommend a good book if you can find it is Spin Fishing in NZ by Tony Orman definitely not just chuck and chance!
    PS watch out for the dorsal fin on a perch.
    bomber likes this.

Is it wrong to be an old fart but be as excited as a kid for something as silly as going fishing again? I used to fish a lot for perch in Lake Ratapiko when i was younger but have never caught a trout. The info on here has been brilliant, Thank you everyone!

I might go to the Scout Den pool on the Patea River in town to try and get my first trout. There should still be few left from those released for the take a kid day. A bit like visiting a lady of the night to get your first one out of the way.......

This is what I bought. https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/soft-...-6in-3-6kg-2pc

I could have got the same rod and spooled with braid from H&F in NP but won't shop there after they messed me around with a rifle I bought.....

They are holding the rod till I decide on lures etc and for Level 3 of course. They are going to spool it for me. I thought I may as well get it done and then do it myself afterwards.