Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Trout/perch spin rig advice please.....

I always used to cook up the perch; was damn nice. My brother used to use a worm whereas I used a red and white striped spinner. I didn't catch as many as with a worm but they were usually a lot bigger

They had bugger all rods; but I usually buy everything else of them. I've got a rifle sitting in there just waiting for my renewed license to arrive...........

MB
    Let us know how you go. I did a bit of small river trout fishing before lockdown and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Only small fish, nothing over a pound. I'll make no apology for reposting a picture as I haven't done anything of interest since then.

bumblefoot likes this.

Had the light setup to recce around earlier in the year to see if I could find a spawning pair to strike but all I got was them juvies. Maybe next time I will bring the ultralight setup instead.

Name:  IMG_4324.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  205.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1123.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  141.0 KB
    bumblefoot and Moa Hunter like this.

Good stuff everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Is it wrong to be an old fart but be as excited as a kid for something as silly as going fishing again? I used to fish a lot for perch in Lake Ratapiko when i was younger but have never caught a trout. The info on here has been brilliant, Thank you everyone!

I might go to the Scout Den pool on the Patea River in town to try and get my first trout. There should still be few left from those released for the take a kid day. A bit like visiting a lady of the night to get your first one out of the way.......

This is what I bought. https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/soft-...-6in-3-6kg-2pc

I could have got the same rod and spooled with braid from H&F in NP but won't shop there after they messed me around with a rifle I bought.....

They are holding the rod till I decide on lures etc and for Level 3 of course. They are going to spool it for me. I thought I may as well get it done and then do it myself afterwards.
    Good starter kit and will last well.
    I do have a black max reel as 1 of many spare, good drag and seems reliable. Go for 6lb mono to start with, I use 4 or 6lb mono in Nth Island Rivers/lakes. Catch more on 4lbs but loose a few on landing. This is last one on 4lb before lockdown, although the river runs through my bubble here

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Swanny like this.

@bomber Thank you. Nice fish!
    bomber likes this.

Has anyone had any experience with this spinner for trout? On special at the moment!

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/kilwe...ok-zebra-qty-1

Name:  spinner.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  261.1 KB

its a varient of the common mepps/veltics.....great in rough water fished by casting upstream and across,bring it back past boulder lies....the green n black gold was our goto colour...others swear by red....yellow goes good in other places too.

MB
    I'm sure that would work bumblefoot, most things do. I haven't used that particular model, but I've noticed in the past that cheaper spinners can require a faster retrieve to get the blade going. Fine if the trout are in the mood, but not so much if they are feeling a bit lazy. Something else to consider: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/black...-spinning-lure I like them because they don't cause any line twist. Our friends in China have much cheaper versions.

Thank you both; I've learnt so much from this thread!

Well a parcel of goodies arrived in the post today..... Some jellybeans and Berkley minnow softbaits underneath too..... Trout season doesn't start until October. But you can fish the Patea dam below the Mangamingi bridge all year except May.....

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  385.2 KB
    stingray and bomber like this.

Banned
    Where are the white tummy Rapalas with black shading along the back ??? Jellybeans and split shot good choice

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Where are the white tummy Rapalas with black shading along the back ??? Jellybeans and split shot good choice
    Rapalas in the next batch. They are pretty expensive and I'm a bit short of $ssss at the moment as I'm putting money together for a scope for my new 308. The Kilwell blue and Zebra spinners were on a cheap special ($2.49 ea) so thought they'd be good for perch. I won't cry if I lose them at that price. I bought a few hex spinners for kahawai too