Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Swanny
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 2 Post By bumblefoot
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By piwakawaka
  • 1 Post By Got-ya

Thread: Waiuku Forest - Koi Carp

Waiuku Forest - Koi Carp

Walking the dog today at Waikato river mouth on the forest side and saw this pile of carp. Have they been dumped from another spot or living in the river

The sea gulls were happy at least

Name:  IMG_2258.jpeg
Views: 337
Size:  4.04 MB

They are in the waikato river but I don't know the full distribution. I think i am correct in that being said a noxious pest it is illegal to release then if you happen to catch them
    rugerman and Got-ya like this.

MB
    Odd to see them so close to the ocean, I wonder if they were caught upstream.

I've actually seen them in the pond at Karaka Lakeside, Someone's great idea to release some as they look so nice

It's bow fishing season, they come up to the surface to mate and are easy pickings.
    Maca49 likes this.

I did a koi research story with Waikato University in around 2006. They were using an electrofishing boat to catch, measure/weigh etc, koi and then tag and release them. We were fishing around the old Meremere power station. Swags of koi of course, but interestingly; a lot of mullet. Which really surprised the scientists that they would travel that far. There were aso lots of goldfish and catfish. The goldfish were reverting back to the original bronze-ish colour, with quite humped backs. Funny thing was that even scientists act like fishermen and want to catch the biggest fish! I've also done a couple of stories on the Koi Classic bowfishing tournament.

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/koi-moana/
    ZQLewis and paremata like this.

MSL

Waiuku Forest - Koi Carp

My father used to net plenty of mullet from a pond fed off the mangawara stream near taupiri/orini. Plenty of carp also obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I did a koi research story with Waikato University in around 2006. They were using an electrofishing boat to catch, measure/weigh etc, koi and then tag and release them. We were fishing around the old Meremere power station. Swags of koi of course, but interestingly; a lot of mullet. Which really surprised the scientists that they would travel that far. There were aso lots of goldfish and catfish. The goldfish were reverting back to the original bronze-ish colour, with quite humped backs. Funny thing was that even scientists act like fishermen and want to catch the biggest fish! I've also done a couple of stories on the Koi Classic bowfishing tournament.

https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/koi-moana/
    There has been a population of mullet living in a land locked freshwater sand dune lake at Whatipu, for decades. They grow to a massive size.

Likely bycatch from someone dragging a flounder net and catching those slimy bastards and leaving them high and dry
    Forestry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by piwakawaka View Post
    Likely bycatch from someone dragging a flounder net and catching those slimy bastards and leaving them high and dry
    Yip this. Done exactly that in the same area. Some of them get big and it's a chore to drag them above high tide mark.
    Forestry likes this.

Thank god for the hydro dams, Taupo would be full of them, but someone has released them in the lake so it’s only a matter of time
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Thank god for the hydro dams, Taupo would be full of them, but someone has released them in the lake so it’s only a matter of time
    Are they in taupo

They are dynamite snapper bait and barley. My sons mate used to net then close into the Hamilton township.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    They are dynamite snapper bait and barley. My sons mate used to net then close into the Hamilton township.
    yup we bow fish them and the snapper can't resist a bit of koi