Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: DOC campsite(s) condition

DOC campsite(s) condition

Wifey and I took our fully self contained (thank heavens) caravan to Kakaho Reserve campsite, Link Road, Pureora State forest yesterday with intention of staying a couple of days. After registering and paying $20 online, we began reminiscing about having lived and worked in the area decades ago and anticipated a great time botanising; she’s the brain, I’m the mule for camera gear.

The reserve is a damned mess!

Bollards have been removed and much grass has been torn out by rampant drivers (mud tread prints). The bbq stations have been smashed to ground level leaving concrete, unburnt branches and galvanised brackets - guessing from burnt tables in the ashes. Random fires have been lit where campers have pitched camp. Blackberry and broom have encroached from much of the boundary onto unmown grass. Worst of all is the state of one toilet I checked. The commercial sized twin paper dispenser was empty, multiple domestic loo cardboard rolls littered the floor and faecal matter had dried solidly onto parts of the dunny.

Simply put, the place was a filthy, disgusting mess. We stayed one night only as nocturnal arachnid study was the reason for the visit.

I have notified DOC of the state of Kakaho campground and invited them to call me. If they’re prepared to provide a Ute, petrol water blaster, disinfectant and suitable tools, I’m offering to return to clean up what I can.

Has anyone experienced similar conditions at other DOC campsites?
    stingray likes this.

that's disappointing to hear, good on you for offering to help clean it up, I hope they take you up on that
    #DANNYCENT

I haven't been back to Kakaho since Heather and Norm were camped there many years ago and 'managed' the place....DOC built a 'sunny dunny' there and I have always meant to go back and see if it was still operational.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    What a shame. The camp I am most familiar with would be the Managamate Falls camp at Minginui. For a number of years I would sleep there overnight and then move on into the bush first thing next day but more importantly, the camp was a fantastic place to holiday with my family which we did several times over the year,s. The last time I went there, the Denny’s were chokka full and there was graffiti all over the outdoor kitchen and the honesty box was being treated like the local mob,s piggy bank. It was very disappointing to see.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

i think they put more effort into the piropiro campsite as it is the halfway point for the cyclists on the timber trail ...... if it wasnt it would be in the same state.
    is it just me or has anyone else noticed the rarity of a DOC ranger visiting the campsites and engaging with campers is on a par or less regular than a kakapo breeding season?
    308, chainsaw and Micky Duck like this.

So what is it that spiders do in the dark?....got plenty of those big black and big brown ones here, never thought to observe them after lights out....I think the brown ones are those that dive under water to escape, they bite, the bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    So what is it that spiders do in the dark?....got plenty of those big black and big brown ones here, never thought to observe them after lights out....I think the brown ones are those that dive under water to escape, they bite, the bastards.
    I had no interest in them until Shirley convinced me to stumble round in the dark. From my observations, they often spin webs at night, catching several prey that are cocooned ready for pantry storage. The colours, shapes and patterns of some spiders are unreal.

Kakaho campsite has been going backwards for the last decade or so. It got some TLC about 6 years ago, but that was a one-off. It does suffer from hoons more than some other campsites as it has lots of 4wd tracks close by.

Pretty sad really. I remember the days I camped overnight there enroute back to Tihoi Venture School after climbing Titiraupenga. How DOC can even think about a fee for camping there, leaves me wondering.

A Pureora critter[ATTACH]220531 [ATTACH]220531[/ATTAC
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Pretty sad really. I remember the days I camped overnight there enroute back to Tihoi Venture School after climbing Titiraupenga. How DOC can even think about a fee for camping there, leaves me wondering.
    Out spotlighting one night came across a bunch of kids from the TVS who were rained out of their overnight bivvies and took them back to the Link Road huts and dried them out.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

I am familiar with a number of South Island DoC camp sites and these are always extremely well run
    The one at Lake Pearson is serviced 5 days a week by a DoC contractor

Frankly we would be screwed in the SI from the pressure of tourists of these were not well run and readily available
    The contractor encourages freedom campers adjacent to relocate to The camp site and pay their fee
    He knows all their tricks and where to catch them

On his beat are a couple of DoC camp sites and a number of DoC public toilets

This is on the main state highway to Arthurs Pass so the numbers are huge at times

thats really good of you to volunteer your time - and I hope DOC take you up on it - would seem not a budget priority over there -a suggestion if they do take you up perhaps put a flier over this forum maybe others close by to help out - all the best -
    Ingrid 51 and techno retard like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    DoC are pretty bloody hopeless these days ( like a lot of Govt departments) A mate phoned DoC Taupo to enquire about Kiko Rd and the guy hadn’t even heard of it!
    Understand DOC's has a call centre now, call goes to the next available operator anywhere in the country. Tried to call lately due to slip on a local walking track, call was answered in Invercargill. Local guy rang back later in the day. As far as DOC staff being in local hunting areas checking, have only sighted them when a 1080 drop is in progress. Never been asked for a permit in 20 years here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    Wifey and I took our fully self contained (thank heavens) caravan to Kakaho Reserve campsite, Link Road, Pureora State forest yesterday with intention of staying a couple of days. After registering and paying $20 online, we began reminiscing about having lived and worked in the area decades ago and anticipated a great time botanising; she’s the brain, I’m the mule for camera gear.

The reserve is a damned mess!

Bollards have been removed and much grass has been torn out by rampant drivers (mud tread prints). The bbq stations have been smashed to ground level leaving concrete, unburnt branches and galvanised brackets - guessing from burnt tables in the ashes. Random fires have been lit where campers have pitched camp. Blackberry and broom have encroached from much of the boundary onto unmown grass. Worst of all is the state of one toilet I checked. The commercial sized twin paper dispenser was empty, multiple domestic loo cardboard rolls littered the floor and faecal matter had dried solidly onto parts of the dunny.

Simply put, the place was a filthy, disgusting mess. We stayed one night only as nocturnal arachnid study was the reason for the visit.

I have notified DOC of the state of Kakaho campground and invited them to call me. If they’re prepared to provide a Ute, petrol water blaster, disinfectant and suitable tools, I’m offering to return to clean up what I can.

Has anyone experienced similar conditions at other DOC campsites?
    Post from 12 months ago sorry, has anyone visited Kakaho campsite recently?
    What rating would you give it, 1 been total shitter - 10 been amazing.
    Reason I ask is Some friends want to camp there over Easter and sure there are better places to camp?
    Could be totally wrong
    Cheers The Creeper