Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: DOC hut book use

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I always fill them in, and enjoy reading others entries too. They can be insightful, worrying, sometimes comical I know twoshotkill and myself have even dropped a few forum references in there in the hope someone spots them in the book
    I know Twoshot saw a "Lentil and Reubags" entry in a hut book. I was just passing thru on a fly camp.
    Pointer likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

This is absolutely true, I done a roof on a hut in the Kaweka's late last year voluntarily for the free chopper ride and to help keep the huts good to go for us all and this is exactly what we were told by our doc correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I somewhat agree except I have already paid thru my not insignificant taxes, whatever you think. User pays for tourists and locals should be able to use for free.
    If the govt chooses not to pass on enough of my money to DOC its not my fault!!
    I used to think the same, but when I thought through my conservative dogma I came to realise that thinking that my taxes paid for all of the social services that I used was just plain folly.

Everyone who is an earner needs to pay their dues, plus something else.
    mikee likes this.

I guess if I didn't have a job and was on a benefit I would have MORE time to visit these back country huts. But working 8-5 5 days a week reduces my time hunting, at least I'm paying my taxes though

I don't stay in huts but when dropping by for a visit I usually write where I am hunting and when I expect to be gone - partly for SAR purposes but also as a courtesy to other bush users and hunters who may come through at the same time - not much effort and it is an easy system to use
    Pointer, kiwijames and res like this.

Hi all
    As an ex manager for DOC I can confirm that hut usage is measured through the entries in the hut book, and when it comes to allocating the funds for repairs and maintenance the higher use huts will get the bulk of the $$$. It was the bain of my life arguing for resources with no data of nights stayed at huts when all the firewood was gone and the bogger was full up. DOC hasn't the time or people to follow up on hut fees, and legally even if it is your name in the book when push comes to shove there is no real evidence that you stayed so cannot be acted upon. If we want to keep our huts put names in hut books to establish usage, when they are gone they won't be replaced!
    Have a safe and successful roar, I am off to the Kawekas for a week on Sat, weather permitting (Not looking too good at the moment)

Regards
    Ruger7mm
    Pointer, Munsey, Pengy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    Hi all
    As an ex manager for DOC I can confirm that hut usage is measured through the entries in the hut book, and when it comes to allocating the funds for repairs and maintenance the higher use huts will get the bulk of the $$$. It was the bain of my life arguing for resources with no data of nights stayed at huts when all the firewood was gone and the bogger was full up. DOC hasn't the time or people to follow up on hut fees, and legally even if it is your name in the book when push comes to shove there is no real evidence that you stayed so cannot be acted upon. If we want to keep our huts put names in hut books to establish usage, when they are gone they won't be replaced!
    Have a safe and successful roar, I am off to the Kawekas for a week on Sat, weather permitting (Not looking too good at the moment)

Regards
    Ruger7mm
    Check out the new rooves on the Harkness and the Te Puia huts

I was brought up tramping and camping the lower and central North Island. Our family and friends stayed in huts and doc camp site very often. We always did and I still always will complete an entry in to the hut books.

When first getting to the hut, I enter names and intentions of the stay. Then on departure, enter the total number of nights stayed and weather or not animals were seen. Regardless of what other say or think of DOC or their assets in the parks, I'll always continue to enter in the book (even if just passing by a hut during the day). This is what we do as responsible hunters and back country uses.

We are extermly fortunate in New Zealand to have such a unique network of huts in the back country. There is nowhere else in the world that as a resource - pay you money for the huts that you need to and enter in to the hut books or lose these forever (and then the land will get flicked off as no one uses it). Basic huts and Bivvies are even free!
    Matt2308 likes this.

Always entered names and info in hut book,
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Check out the new rooves on the Harkness and the Te Puia huts
    In there a couple of weeks ago.
    Harkness in very good nick a pleasure to camp in.
    They are worth looking after and if it needs your name in the book how hard is that.
    These huts have plenty of hunting around them and you are not giving anything away by recording your name in the book.
    You still have to get out of the hut door and find them.
    308 likes this.