Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: First aid kit pics

Quote Originally Posted by kukuwai View Post
    My boss brought them so not exactly sure but they were definitely under $50. We just did an anaphylaxis course at work and the tutor said the ampoule alone is about $30.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    One shot with an epipen is rarely enough, when it wears off you're back in the same position again so it's well worth taking in some ampules and syringe as well to last until help can arrive or you manage to get out.

You can get ampules of adrenaline on prescription for $5 according to my pharmacist wife.
    Beaker, Sideshow, kukuwai and 1 others like this.

res
    good thread

Ill be needing to build up a new kit in a few weeks and this has given me some things to think about rather than just replicating my admitadly old school kit
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    this has given me some things to think about
    That's the whole idea of the forum I guess
    @SAVAGE have a look on YouTube, can get an extra 4-5 300mg doses, doeinvolve cutting through the hard outer plastic, inside is a plunger wih a rubber stopper.... Will let you figure the rest out as its not something that should be 'advised' about

Never had a fir aid kit with me, now looking at tall this i should start collecting.

Purveyor of Fine Cutlery terryf's Avatar
    I somehow missed this thread and I'm a serious FA junkie hoarder

Just two things I want to add - firstly, skip the tampons, they cause more issues than they solve. Use a proper trauma dressing.
    Second, if you're tramping, keep it to the minimum of what you are capable of using and might need. If you're with a regular buddy, split the kit between you and make sure at least one of you knows more than just how to apply a band aid. I have seen way to many guys lug everything short of an ambulance into the bush and when it goes south, they don't have a clue how to use 90% of their kit.

Surprised nobody has mentioned superglue??

And where are the burn dressings @223nut ?

One thing I also carry is cable ties. Its extreme but if the bleeding doesn't stop, its life over limb - works well for shotgun AD's to the ankle or when you step on a landmine.
    Regards
    Terry

https://www.knives4africa.co.nz/
    Custom knife dealer

Authorised Nitecore Torch Retailer

Snaplock bags work as a burn dressing, just need to seal out the air from the nerve endings, gladwrap is ideal but Snaplock bags have others uses

Superglue great for sealing superficial abrasions and it can be used to appose split skin edges.

Not easy to use superglue for closing split wounds - the wound sides need to be together, and the glue spread over the top of the skin (not in between the skin edges or it will prevents the skin edges growing together). Better to bandage a split wound, since unless you have been able to clean it thoroughly you may trap infection inside it by stitching/gluing. If it is kept clean your doctor CAN suture it at leisure, including more than 24hours after the injury, though some are reluctant to do so.

3M Micropore tape (or Pam's substitute), great for blisters or skin about to blister. It gives you an extra layer of armour.

Combat Action Tourniquets are frankly painful to apply properly, it is not because of them shutting down the blood supply (well, that too) but because they are very narrow and so have to be tighter around the limb to achieve compression of the artery. If you can get hold of a Blood Pressure cuff with an inflator, it will do the same job but with a lot less pain. But direct pressure and elevation of the bleeding limb is the go-to-first option.
    Guns don't kill people - drivers do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    3M Micropore tape (or Pam's substitute), great for blisters or skin about to blister. It gives you an extra layer of armour.
    Always have a roll of insulation tape handy. Good for the small stuff and pretty much the only thing I used on myself especially whenI was underground. Always instantly handy.
    Apparently there is a very mild antibiotic property in the glue (as told to me by an electrician mind you) but I don't care.