Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes
  • 15 Post By Micky Duck
  • 7 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 3 Post By RUMPY
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby
  • 3 Post By RUMPY
  • 2 Post By Jus
  • 2 Post By The bomb

Thread: lessons from quick overnighter

lessons from quick overnighter

In last few years..well the last 10-12 actually,I usually only do day trips,any overnighters have been roadend jobbies staying at vehicle.
    last week I decided ,after purchase of bivy bag to try it out up in tussocks.
    took a hoochie/fly with me aswell so dog didnt try to join me in sleeping bag...semi worked.
    lesson #1 leave home earlier...getting to glassing spot with only enough light left to set up camp wasnt ideal....did do some glassing on way there so all was not lost.
    lesson #2 many heaps cups of tea is helped greatly by actually including a mug/cup..dont worry it is now tied to cooker bag
    lesson#3 I carry far too much stuff,full set of spare cloths didnt even leave pack,nor did food bag,too many rounds,full roll Tpaper never even left bag.
    lesson #4 sometimes the weather forcast does actually nearly get it right.....was whiteout within 1hr of daybreak.
    lesson #5 the alloy tent pole I decided to leavve at home would have been helpful...and just realised the short one I adapted to mount camera on is still sitting in tussocks...excuse to head back up there and collect it....
    lesson #6 if I set up my sleeping bag and mat and bivy bag at home,roll it all up together it should save time n hassle.

the hoochie over top of bivvy bag was great,dog cuddled up next to me,all my gear stayed dry..but the tent pole would have been ideal,I HAD intended to set up against old fence,the n changed mind opting for up hill in tussock.

food taken...far too much,I consumed half a boston bun and handful of mixed lollies for sure the 3 packets of 2 minute noodles were good insurance but the dehy meal was never going to be eaten... 4 snack bars likewise.
    why I took 20 rounds is beyond me...8 has never been not enough and normally half of those would come home even with bad shooting.

opting to scoot down hill to rock solid feature to navigate out on/with when saw weather packing up was right call...whiteout visibility wasnt flash but on featureless flat could have been dodgy,likewise up on hill top,wrong ridge could easily have been taken.
    hopefully my ramblings may prompt someone to improve thier own gear list... maybe I should re read this myself "next time"
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Take some trekking poles, they can double as tent poles. Really helps the knees on the downhill carry with a load of meat too.

I hear you. Back as a young fella we were always carrying way too much stuff.
    I don't get out much but don't take bugger all.
    Need to budget for a nice small and warm sleeping bag, a decent fly and a good sleeping mat.
    Can't see that happening soon.
    Bugger all extra clothes, maybe a pair of socks.
    I would have a decent fees before I went, like yourself some sandwiches instead of the Boston bun, and maybe a tin of fruit and a couple of weet in for brekky
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just shows we are always learning.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Blahahaha, I could go and pick up your camera stick Micky, maybe have a scan for big ginge while I'm there.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who carries too much shit, although what were you thinking with a whole roll of TP for your bunghole?
    Micky Duck, RV1 and Billbob like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by RUMPY View Post
    Blahahaha, I could go and pick up your camera stick Micky, maybe have a scan for big ginge while I'm there.
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who carries too much shit, although what were you thinking with a whole roll of TP for your bunghole?
    I'll get it for him, you just stay at home!
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

@257weatherby, you make a good point, you are probably closer. I'll stay away.
    257weatherby, Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Jus
    I’m the complete opposite to you, I very rarely do day hunts. Usually always 1 -2 nights. I find that having a shelf system with all your gear squared away in clusters, from sleeping gear, to active gear(boots poles gators etc) a shelf for food and cooking stuff, miscellaneous stuff like power banks and chargers, torch’s and plb, this system really helps me grab everything I need and nothing I don’t depending on where I go. I keep everything compartmentalised in my pack too. It’s good fun getting gear optimised for the best and most efficient time on the hill. One thing I do still struggle with is the clothes thing, in winter time I alway take thermals and spare socks and crampons too so the general weight seems to creep up. Overnights are definitely where it’s at, sun down and sun ups in the bush!! The bomb! Keep at it and you will soon have your gear optimised and the overnights will be awesome!
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Even bush hunting I like the od overnighter,watch clearings till last light,20in walk to camp then back before sunup next day easily..gets bit chilly in kaimanawas from now on though!!
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Thought I'd take a look at Piropiro about 10 days ago. The road in was shite in my car - ruts, cotrugations and holes. There wete about 4 campers with cyclists, it was pissing rain, and nobody looked happy, even me.... so I fukt off home... Does anybody know how Clements mill rd looks at the moment? Will a car get in there? More to the point, will it get out?? My brother and I have wanted to havr a hunt together for years and mow I've had my knee replaced we have a chance. I'd hate to miss it. Is it worth a go? Cheers.
    Ken

Clements is fine,was there 2 weeks ago wouldn’t know there had been a cyclone few weeks earlier.