Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Lost for a month

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    Most cyclists own at least one car, so they're paying for their fair share - and they're on a bike, which at the end of the day inconveniences you less than if they did all of their journeys in a car and got in your way that way instead. If you're wanting to get into the user pays aspect then start hounding the truckies - trucks damage the road more than anyone, cause roadworks, pull out in front of people, and drive slower than the speed limit.

Maybe that's the difference between us. I'd still buy you a beer at the pub, talk some shit and wish you no ill will.
    trucks pay more for the road than the rest of us combined probably. $20,000 a day in road user only is not uncommon for a average trucking company.
    I would rather follow a truck threw the likes of the buller gorge than a campervan or some twat in a volvo or mercedes suv, truckys know the road and drive at the limit carrying speed threw the corners.

Pull ya head out of your arse.
    hilz77 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Maybe that's the difference between us. I'd still buy you a beer at the pub, talk some shit and wish you no ill will.

-and not realise you're being annoying as fuck?
    257weatherby likes this.

Ejected
    Can't help it man, I'd be the same annoying fuck on a biking forum if someone started joking about how you shouldn't go walking in the hills because you'll get shot by "one of those dimwitted hunters"

Maybe that's the difference between us. I'd still buy you a beer at the pub, talk some shit and wish you no ill will. But campervans? That's harsh man. Harsh.
    Me too unless you had just held me up for half an hour, if you had a license plate at least I could invoice you for my time.

Camper-vans are generally more courteous than cyclists as they like to stop and get out while parked in the middle of one lane bridges to take photos.
    hilz77 likes this.

Behavior that seems odd to you is often in the name of safety.
    Sometimes yes... other times its just what some of them tell themselves when they're actually just being arrogant and selfish for no good reason. If they 'need' 3 or 4 times as much space as I'm comfortable with when I'm on a bike then the problem isn't the cars, its them. Its a bit like drivers who try to stop anybody from passing them because they're driving at a 'safe' speed (like 70) and think anyone who wants to go faster is dangerous.

I always found bus drivers the worst when I was biking regularly, it was like they were actively trying to hit me.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Sometimes yes... other times its just what some of them tell themselves when they're actually just being arrogant and selfish for no good reason. If they 'need' 3 or 4 times as much space as I'm comfortable with when I'm on a bike then the problem isn't the cars, its them. Its a bit like drivers who try to stop anybody from passing them because they're driving at a 'safe' speed (like 70) and think anyone who wants to go faster is dangerous.

I always found bus drivers the worst when I was biking regularly, it was like they were actively trying to hit me.
    Exactly!

Just saw the short clip on the news.
    A harrowing experience for her for sure.
    But to not be able to get out for a month? she tried to make some snow shoes?

Smells like under prepared for NZ.

My pushbike is my favourite means of transport, maybe tied with by boots nowadays. I agree with GB and VC, that there is mostly a place for cyclists on the road, but not always and sometimes we do need to be where the other motor vehicles are. But this is only where there is nowhere else to be. At these points it is the motor vehicle drivers responsibility to slow down and pass safely when safe to do so. Ride two or three abreast at these points is just not on.

Another one is driving fast around a bend and suddenly seeing a cyclist in front of you. That is the drivers fault as the rules are clear, on a road with a centre line you must be able to stop within the clear lane in front of you and if there is no centre line it is half that. If it was a tractor you went too fast round a blind bend and hit it may be you that doesn't come out to well.
    veitnamcam, Pengy and timattalon like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    My pushbike is my favourite means of transport, maybe tied with by boots nowadays. I agree with GB and VC, that there is mostly a place for cyclists on the road, but not always and sometimes we do need to be where the other motor vehicles are. But this is only where there is nowhere else to be. At these points it is the motor vehicle drivers responsibility to slow down and pass safely when safe to do so. Ride two or three abreast at these points is just not on.

Another one is driving fast around a bend and suddenly seeing a cyclist in front of you. That is the drivers fault as the rules are clear, on a road with a centre line you must be able to stop within the clear lane in front of you and if there is no centre line it is half that. If it was a tractor you went too fast round a blind bend and hit it may be you that doesn't come out to well.
    I am pretty sure it is illegal or was? to ride more than 2 abreast.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I am pretty sure it is illegal or was? to ride more than 2 abreast.
    It is, and if the cyclists are passing parked vehicles it is illegal to ride more than single file.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I'm frequently under prepared for New Zealand. Shit happens.

She is not dead, so she did good.
    There is that but a plb would have saved her some time and maybe her partners life.
    GravelBen and Beaker like this.

Ejected
    PLBs are an interesting one. Half of me thinks they should be cheaper/subsidised, be advertised more, so that more people have them in situations like these. I'd be happy if some tax dollars went to cheapening safety equipment if it meant we didn't have either dead tourists or costly long searches at the other end.

Regarding the driving. If there's something in the middle of your lane on a blind corner you should be able to stop before you hit it. If you're white knuckled because you might run into something stationary in your lane you need to slow down. Could be a cyclist, a cow, your neighbors dog, a child...

Two abreast is rude as hell in many situations. No argument there.
    sako75 and BobGibson like this.

PLB's are pretty cheap now at about NZ$300 with a 10 year battery life.

Ejected
    As in: walk into a store, ask for a plb, swipe card for $300? Haven't seen them south of $450 personally.

You haven't been looking very hard then Jack.
    Pointer likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1