Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Lost for a month

For the record. The last time I checked the stats for sar callouts NZ wide, including maritime, overseas tourists actually accounted for a fairly small percentage overall.
    That suggests that the natives are going bush or whatever, ill prepared, or ill equipped /trained.
    She`ll be right mate doesn't cut it .
    gadgetman likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I'm frequently under prepared for New Zealand. Shit happens.

She is not dead, so she did good.
    I always take enough to spend the night out, pack liner/bivy bag is the heaviest item and it's not that bad, doubles as a meat bag. Couple of extra layers and a silver blanket, fire kit etc. No excuse not to have it
    gadgetman and Pengy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    For the record. The last time I checked the stats for sar callouts NZ wide, including maritime, overseas tourists actually accounted for a fairly small percentage overall.
    That suggests that the natives are going bush or whatever, ill prepared, or ill equipped /trained.
    She`ll be right mate doesn't cut it .
    Wonder if those stat's include the big operations, I.e. Trucks stuck up Waikaia, uses if kiwis get lost they do it in a big way!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Your not actually going to be a road cycling champ so put a mountain bike on the top of your 2016 ticked up Subaru Outlander and enjoy. NZs countless devoid of cars backcountry tracks which are everywhere.
    Believe it or not I have three. No outlander though, more in the market for a truck. Roadie only gets used for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    You haven't been looking very hard then Jack.
    Care to share? I'm obviously looking in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    As in: walk into a store, ask for a plb, swipe card for $300? Haven't seen them south of $450 personally.
    That is the old and expensive way of shopping.

KTi SA2G NZ GPS Locator Beacon PLB - SkippersMate.co.nz
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post

KTi SA2G NZ GPS Locator Beacon PLB - SkippersMate.co.nz
    +1 for skippers mate, brought two from them after the first was stolen

sneakywaza I got
    I find it's usually the drivers that aren't concerned with the cyclist's life expectancy. Not sure why it means so little to them - your car is just as dangerous as a firearm and is much more likely to kill someone. Not giving cyclists respect and utmost care is just as bad as not identifying your target before you pull the trigger. If someone is doing something that makes me frustrated or angry then I pretend it's my mum and act accordingly. Once you add a bit of empathy to a situation you often gain a better perspective.

Roads have always been for many forms of transport. Not all of them can do the speed limit.
    The only good cyclist, is a flat one!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Indeed, but it's the way most still do it. I wasn't really speaking for myself. (Thanks for the link though)

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    That's a bit of a rough thing to say after I'd just said I'd lost a mate that way.
    sako75 and Dead is better like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    You guys never cease to amaze and scare me at how far off base these threads get. I do wonder why I am a member sometimes.
    Pengy and Beaker like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I do wonder why I am a member sometimes.
    For me it is the entertainment value.
    Grim, Pointer, tetawa and 2 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I used to fly a lot around the Routeburn. No Cell phone coverage at those huts.
    On one SAR last year , a nut job decided to walk from Glenorchy to Te Anau to find work. Out we go at about 4pm to search the Routeburn. I landed at each hut and the cops got out but no sign of him. Up towards Harris Saddle the DOC hut and Lodge were almost completely covered in snow. The track past Falls Lodge (below Harris towards GY) was barely visible due to the snow and there was signs of avalanches everywhere. We spent along time searching and had no luck. He ended up going back to Queenstown somehow.
    It was about this time of year.
    So there is a fair bit of snow up there, and the track wouldn't be easy to follow at all.

Sorry, bit lazy to type Glenorchy.
    Yeah, wasted a couple of hrs in the helicopter. But we had to go.
    We did see a pretty decent stag in the route burn though before he trotted off to the bush. About an 8 pointer, but a bloody big body

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    You guys never cease to amaze and scare me at how far off base these threads get. I do wonder why I am a member sometimes.
    Ok, so why?

I originally joined whilst a little bored one day, I stayed because I was learning, enjoying like minded people, and also light hearted ribbing etc.
    I don't like it when people go way over the top. It shows severe narrow mindedness and can offend some quite seriously.
    Beaker likes this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

If you're wanting to get into the user pays aspect then start hounding the truckies - trucks damage the road more than anyone, cause roadworks, pull out in front of people, and drive slower than the speed limit.

Maybe that's the difference between us. I'd still buy you a beer at the pub, talk some shit and wish you no ill will. But campervans? That's harsh man. Harsh.
    You are joking about trucks aren't you? Have you any idea how much more it actually is to run one of them. Pull out in front of people. Righto, at 22 metres long sometimes you have to make the gap, never in a dangerous manner but sometimes you have to otherwise your sitting there all day. Drive slower than the speed limit. No shit, when you're loaded at 50t you would want to be pretty cautious.
    Its riding 2 wide, sometimes even 3 wide that gets me. What the actual fuck. Do you ever see two cars driving side by side having a good old chin wag. Get out of the way.