Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Native plant identification

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    didnt take long.....who rattled your cage....haharrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Not cage mate 'Can'
    Couldnt resist a dig

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Concrete pills help nulify symptoms of both plants
    If you don't understand what that means Scouser, he is implying you need to harden the fuck up.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    If you don't understand what that means Scouser, he is implying you need to harden the fuck up.
    Errrrm yes, i got that message Rushy......note to self.....'stop being a whinging fukin pom'.....there, fixed Rushy......
    veitnamcam likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Errrrm yes, i got that message Rushy......note to self.....'stop being a whinging fukin pom'.....there, fixed Rushy......
    We all need a gentle reminder sometimes.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

only thing i seem to stumble onto with monotonous regularity is bush lawyer.....got scars to prove it!!!!!!!
    The bush lawyer berries are also edible...rather nice too!!

Re ongaonga...avoidance is probably the only remedy, unfortunately!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Nubile nymphs dress "scantilly", not hunters
    Pengy!!! As in rugby type shorts, black singlet and lace up gumboots...the as it was back when quintessential New Zealand hunting garb (along with the parka and the swanny) and knife belt...

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    In the spirit of paying it forward and all that, I have a copy each of Andrew crowe, Native Trees and Native Shrubs. Very handy pocket sized guides.
    First up...best dressed. FOC
    Was in the post today... many thanks

It even has a little penguin on it
    Pengy likes this.
    OPCz

Do ya think Calamine lotion would do any good?
    The stuff is great on any itchy bites

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    The bush lawyer berries are also edible...rather nice too!!

Re ongaonga...avoidance is probably the only remedy, unfortunately!!!

I would suggest an antihistamine cream might be better. The known toxic substances are mostly acetylcholine, 5- hydroxytryptamine (serotonin), and histamine.(Clark, 1993; Connor, 1977).

Kawakawa leaves (Macropiper excelsum, Pepper Tree) is a traditional Maori remedy but has limited use as the plant is mostly coastal.

ebf
    Kawakawa is a very cool plant.

Can use it as a pepper/spice substitute.

Helps for toothache

Burning wet leaves is a good insecticide for sand flies.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Deer food:

Broadleaf / Kapuka / Griselinia littoralis
    Bushmans Friend / Rangiora / Brachyglottis repanda
    Crown Fern / Kiokio / Blechnum discolor - Whitetail
    Five Finger / Whauwhaupaku / Pseudopanax arboreus
    Seven Finger / Pate / Schefflera digitata
    Stinkwood / Hūpiro / Coprosma foetidissima
    Pepper Wood / ??? / ???
    Whiteywood / Mahoe / Melicytus ramiflorus
    Wild Irishman / Matagouri / Discaria toumatou - Fallow

Nasty

??? / Karaka / Corynocarpus laevigatus - has a poisonous seed in its fleshy orange fruit
    ??? / Tītoki / Alectryon excelsus – contains cyanide-producing poisons
    Bushmans Lawyer / Tātarāmoa / Rubus cissoides
    Cutty grass / Toetoe / Austroderia
    Blueberry lilly, Inkberry / Turutu / Dianella Nigra - (purple) berries poisonous
    Gorse / ??? / Ulex europaeus
    Hookgrass/ ??? / Uncinia spp.
    Kangaroo Apple / Poroporo / Solanum aviculare, S. laciniatum – their unripe green berries are poisonous
    Kowhai / Kowhai / Sophora species – its yellow seeds are poisonous if chewed.
    Leatherwood / ? / Oleria colensoi
    Mousehole Tree / Ngiao / Myoporum Laetum - has poisonous leaves
    Spear Grass / ??? / ???
    Stinging Nettle / Onga Onga / Urtica Ferox
    Tutu / Tutu / Coriaria arborea - just about every part of the tree (roots, bark, berries) is poisonous

Usefull / Medicinal

??? / Koromiko / Hebe stricta - eating young leaves is a remedy for constipation
    ??? / Kowhai / Sophora spp.
    Dock / ??? / ??? - treatment for Onga Onga sting
    Flax / Harakeke / Phormium colensoi & tenax - pulp of leaves & roots, heated, use for infections and boils
    Manuka / Manuka / Leptospermum scoparium - leaves made into tea for fever, ash for dandruff
    Mousehole Tree / Ngiao / Myoporum Laetum - repel sandflys and mosquito by rubbing the leaves on your skin
    Pepper Tree / Kawa Kawa / Macropiper excelsum - toothache, upset tummy
    Pepperwood / Horopito / Pseudowintera colorata - leaves & tender branches steeped, use for chafing, wounds, bruises, cuts
    Rata / Rata / ???

Edible (human)

??? / Hinau / Elaeocarpus dentatus
    ??? / Karaka / Corynocarpus laevigatus - flesh of berries, seed is poisonous
    ??? / Kiekie / Freycinetia banksii
    ??? / Tawa / Beilschmiedia tawa
    Black tree fern / Mamaku / Cyathea medullaris
    Cabbage tree / Ti Kouka / Cordyline australis - center of the head of the tree ,the base or pith(the white bit) of the spear like center can be eaten raw
    Fern root / Aruhe / Pteridium esculentum - carbohydrate, root cooked, then beaten to remove hard outer skin
    Sow Thistle / Puha / ???
    Suplejack / Kareao / Ripogonum scandens - soft tips are edible
    Watercress / Kowhitiwhiti / ???

Great thread ebf

I've made a few notes for myself that I take with me out hunting including some on deer browse plants. They aren't to hand at the moment but I'll hunt them out and compare notes.
    Just looking at your list now off the top of my head...
    Matagouri I'm not sure deer browse on these shrubs [as they have pretty thorny defences] but you often find deer, or sign, around them. I'd say that deer are there for the grass and the matagouri offers them the security of being able to graze within the cover of the shrubs.
    Pepperwood I don't think this is a favourite deer fodder, I'm sure they will browse on it when their other options are limited, but it's not something they'd seek out. Maybe it's a seasonal thing ie in the hard times of winter.

I'd add my favourite alpine snack to your human edibles list Snowberries - yum
    Also Kawakawa makes a nice tea -hardly dilmah, but is quite refreshing.

One thing I've been meaning to ask about is -are there any clear plant preferences that the stags have for stripping or polishing their antlers?
    time out likes this.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by footsore View Post
    Deer food:

Broadleaf / Kapuka / Griselinia littoralis
    Bushmans Friend / Rangiora / Brachyglottis repanda
    Crown Fern / Kiokio / Blechnum discolor - Whitetail
    Five Finger / Whauwhaupaku / Pseudopanax arboreus
    Seven Finger / Pate / Schefflera digitata
    Stinkwood / Hūpiro / Coprosma foetidissima
    Pepper Wood / ??? / ???
    Whiteywood / Mahoe / Melicytus ramiflorus
    Wild Irishman / Matagouri / Discaria toumatou - Fallow

Nasty

??? / Karaka / Corynocarpus laevigatus - has a poisonous seed in its fleshy orange fruit
    ??? / Tītoki / Alectryon excelsus – contains cyanide-producing poisons
    Bushmans Lawyer / Tātarāmoa / Rubus cissoides
    Cutty grass / Toetoe / Austroderia
    Blueberry lilly, Inkberry / Turutu / Dianella Nigra - (purple) berries poisonous
    Gorse / ??? / Ulex europaeus
    Hookgrass/ ??? / Uncinia spp.
    Kangaroo Apple / Poroporo / Solanum aviculare, S. laciniatum – their unripe green berries are poisonous
    Kowhai / Kowhai / Sophora species – its yellow seeds are poisonous if chewed.
    Leatherwood / ? / Oleria colensoi
    Mousehole Tree / Ngiao / Myoporum Laetum - has poisonous leaves
    Spear Grass / ??? / ???
    Stinging Nettle / Onga Onga / Urtica Ferox
    Tutu / Tutu / Coriaria arborea - just about every part of the tree (roots, bark, berries) is poisonous

Usefull / Medicinal

??? / Koromiko / Hebe stricta - eating young leaves is a remedy for constipation
    ??? / Kowhai / Sophora spp.
    Dock / ??? / ??? - treatment for Onga Onga sting
    Flax / Harakeke / Phormium colensoi & tenax - pulp of leaves & roots, heated, use for infections and boils
    Manuka / Manuka / Leptospermum scoparium - leaves made into tea for fever, ash for dandruff
    Mousehole Tree / Ngiao / Myoporum Laetum - repel sandflys and mosquito by rubbing the leaves on your skin
    Pepper Tree / Kawa Kawa / Macropiper excelsum - toothache, upset tummy
    Pepperwood / Horopito / Pseudowintera colorata - leaves & tender branches steeped, use for chafing, wounds, bruises, cuts
    Rata / Rata / ???

Edible (human)

??? / Hinau / Elaeocarpus dentatus
    ??? / Karaka / Corynocarpus laevigatus - flesh of berries, seed is poisonous
    ??? / Kiekie / Freycinetia banksii
    ??? / Tawa / Beilschmiedia tawa
    Black tree fern / Mamaku / Cyathea medullaris
    Cabbage tree / Ti Kouka / Cordyline australis - center of the head of the tree ,the base or pith(the white bit) of the spear like center can be eaten raw
    Fern root / Aruhe / Pteridium esculentum - carbohydrate, root cooked, then beaten to remove hard outer skin
    Sow Thistle / Puha / ???
    Suplejack / Kareao / Ripogonum scandens - soft tips are edible
    Watercress / Kowhitiwhiti / ???

Great thread ebf

I've made a few notes for myself that I take with me out hunting including some on deer browse plants. They aren't to hand at the moment but I'll hunt them out and compare notes.
    Just looking at your list now off the top of my head...
    Matagouri I'm not sure deer browse on these shrubs [as they have pretty thorny defences] but you often find deer, or sign, around them. I'd say that deer are there for the grass and the matagouri offers them the security of being able to graze within the cover of the shrubs.
    Pepperwood I don't think this is a favourite deer fodder, I'm sure they will browse on it when their other options are limited, but it's not something they'd seek out. Maybe it's a seasonal thing ie in the hard times of winter.

I'd add my favourite alpine snack to your human edibles list Snowberries - yum
    Also Kawakawa makes a nice tea -hardly dilmah, but is quite refreshing.

One thing I've been meaning to ask about is -are there any clear plant preferences that the stags have for stripping or polishing their antlers?
    Stags hunt Tanekaha with a passion for the rub up. But they will use Pepperwood this seems to be second choice. Mountain Celery another choice. If there is not a lot of these species they will use manuka, kanuka and anything else available.

A lot depend on the forest type they live In of course. The deer seemed to instinctively know that the top three tree types give a beautiful brown glow to their antlers. Farm deer will often have a dull grey coloured antler because prefered types are just not available.

Up in the Alpine area we hunt there might only be one tiny Tanekaha in 500 hect of tussock and scrub but the stags find them alright and thrash the hell out of them.

Interesting Tanekaha bark boiled was a favourite for years of the home tanner, It gave the skins a nice brown finish.
    Last edited by Scribe; 10-10-2014 at 05:29 PM.

ebf
    Thanks footsore, will do a bit of reading and see if matagouri is perhaps a divericate plant, lots of the NZ natives have defence mechanisms when they are below 2 m tall - they have not quite worked out that the moas have become extict

Yup, kawakawa is a bloody interesting plant. I've even heard of someone making a kawakawa flavoured meringue... Have you seen the looper/worm that lives on the plant and causes all the holes on the leaves ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Have you come across any Irishman before ebf? It's common on the riverbeds and open terraces down here it has tiny leaves which are protected by the woody stems and thorns -it certainly seems designed to put off browsing moas or animals. In fact in a valley I shoot in, I've noticed that it is acting as protective hedge for any broadleaf growing behind it. You can see the deer have been browsing the broadleaf but stop at the point they would risk a thorn in the eye. Although thinking about it, I guess the leaves would be good tucker - otherwise why develop such formidable defenses? -but just not heavily targeted by deer 'cos of the defenses.

Other deer browse on my list includes Mapou, Quintina, Marbleleaf, Pigeonwood, Karamu, Ribbonwood, Wineberry. On the tops they like [as well as new grasses/tussocks] Haasts Çarrot, Mtn Daisys and Mt Cook Lillys.

My brother put me on to the Kawakawa tea -you just rip up a leaf or two and cover with boiling water. I've never noticed any worms on the plant but I'll look closer next time.

Cheers for your post Scribe. I've never heard of Tanekaha but it looks like a type of Celery Pine that we certainly get down here.

NZ Hunter magazine has been running a series on forest plants lately-well worth chasing up if you haven't seen them already.
    Last edited by footsore; 10-10-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Tanekaha is known as toatoa in my area.