Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What’s still in that hut?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    On my first trip into Smith's Stream Hut in the Ruahines, I could have filled a black rubbish sack with rat crap - it had been some time since anyone was in there previously, and plenty of perishables had been left at the hut. Spent the night sleeping on the floor with my pack hanging from the ceiling and listening to rats throughout the hut - couldn't get out the door early enough (even with shithouse weather....)
    Didn't feel like packing out a sack full of ratshit, so swept it out the door and then used it to create a new porch.....
    Cool place that Nick

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

I've always packed to be self sufficient, at least then I know I've got everything and my cooking/eating stuff is clean.

As for what I feel should be left in Hut
    Axe and Saw for wood cutting.
    Medium size pot with lid (can be used for boils so don't need separate kettle) I'd like it to be cast iron so it lasts well and is heavy enough to make idiots leave it there and not nick it.
    Maybe a couple of cups but they'll just get dented , bent and generally trashed and left dirty until they're unusable or stolen anyway so I wouldn't bother.
    Food, Good idea in theroy incase someone ends up needing it but can lead to everyone leaving stuff behind and the hut getting untidy.

Gas bottles, grog and empties and any thing else you take in you should take out. (Those half full gas cans are a good price though)