Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Importing a Rifle. What does it cost.

Importing a Rifle. What does it cost.

Hoping someone with importing experience can share some knowledge.

I am interested in importing a rifle (A cat) from the US, I have a basic grasp of the costs involved at the US end but am not sure what costs to expect at the NZ end.

Of course I understand that I will need a export permit, international friendly seller or freight forwarder at the US end. And a import permit at the NZ end.

Does anyone know what tax’s and duties I will be charged at the new Zealand end once it arrives?

On the customs website customs duty on firearms is listed as being 0%. However I assume I will still be charged 15% GST on the value of the firearm and shipping, and probably a couple hundred dollars of biosecurity fees, admin fees and any other fee customs can dream up.

Is anyone who has imported firearms able to advise what costs I would incur at the NZ end (and any other details about the process in general)?

I am looking at a $2000USD rifle.

Thanks in advance.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Wollywog View Post
    Hoping someone with importing experience can share some knowledge.

I am interested in importing a rifle (A cat) from the US, I have a basic grasp of the costs involved at the US end but am not sure what costs to expect at the NZ end.

Of course I understand that I will need a export permit, international friendly seller or freight forwarder at the US end. And a import permit at the NZ end.

Does anyone know what tax’s and duties I will be charged at the new Zealand end once it arrives?

On the customs website customs duty on firearms is listed as being 0%. However I assume I will still be charged 15% GST on the value of the firearm and shipping, and probably a couple hundred dollars of biosecurity fees, admin fees and any other fee customs can dream up.

Is anyone who has imported firearms able to advise what costs I would incur at the NZ end (and any other details about the process in general)?

I am looking at a $2000USD rifle.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm not helpful on the importing thing other than I know once you have all the required paperwork the only worry is that it gets to you safely.

If you can get it in for less than 4.5-5k NZ on a 2kUS firearm you will be getting it cheaper than what a retailer would sell it to you for, even if they did a bulk order.

Make sure you wait a bit to see what the dollar does after the election.
    Talk is the Oz dollar will be on Par with the US again by Xmas which means ours will/should be better as well.
    Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Didnt someone do this recently? Do a search and you might find the thread.

I looked into, unless it's super rare or super duper expensive here just pay the price for local bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollywog View Post
    GST + $49.24 Import entry transaction fee

I have done this recently. Not from the US but from the UK.
    You will get charged GST based on the sale price in the US converted to NZ dollars plus a customs fee. There will also be a freight handlers fee by the shipping agent here.
    Rifle I brought in was not common here and I had it landed here for around 10k. Retailers here are wanting 16k + for the same rifle.
    Rifle was a Accuracy International AWSM in .338 Lapua Magnum.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Pengy like this.

I found it easier to go and see customs in person rather than talking to someone over the phone to get all the paperwork sorted. They were really helpful and it wasn't difficult at all. Just make sure you have all your documentation. Import permit, export documentation etc

Sideshow likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Need to also check that the firearm is on the NZ Police approved list, or else it could be held by NZP and sent to Wellington for approval if not.

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    GST + $49.24 Import entry transaction fee
    I think that 49.24 is a bit out dated (maybe not)
    More like 70-90NZ
    But - its not a bigy - you must also apply for an import code # - again not a bigy - can do it online takes a couple of days and a scanner/printer helps too

Thanks, for all your responses.

So it sounds like I would be looking at $50 (or abit more) for a customs entry fee, plus 15% of the rifle value and postage. So all up it would be just shy of $500 to get it into the country.

The rifle I am looking at is a LMT AR15, none have been sold commercially in NZ, though I see four are on the police approved list as MSSA’s (and one of the not approved list (though that is a piston gun, not Di like the others). I hold only a A cat license (currently) and would want to purchase this as a A Cat.

What is the process for the police approving a firearm that is not on the approved list. I assume I can get a a import permit from police, and customs just ship the rifle to the police when it arrives. Then the police leave it in their armoury for a few months until they decide to look at it, realise it is the same as every other Ar15 (just abit nicer than most of them) and then they add it onto the approved list and release it to me?

I assume bringing it in without a pistol grip or stock would be ok, or would I need to ship an approved A cat shock to the US before exporting the rifle (just to show it is in-fact in A cat configuration)?

Cheers for the advice re watching the currency conversion rates.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    is it the same if you buy one while overseas and bring it back.going over in the next couple years to visit my brother in Oregon . was thinking of buying something there and doing a bit of hunting then bringing it back as second hand.
    You shouldn't pay GST upon entry into NZ if you buy it in the states and bring it in as second hand. Reason being you would have already been taxed on it over there.
    Rifle I bought in was exempt from VAT/tax in the UK as it was being sold to export which is why I had to pay GST before customs would release it.

berg243 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    is it the same if you buy one while overseas and bring it back.going over in the next couple years to visit my brother in Oregon . was thinking of buying something there and doing a bit of hunting then bringing it back as second hand.
    That is perfectly feasible as of today - you will need an approved NZ Firearms Import Permit to check a firearm in with the airline.

One key point to be considered in this thread is the US Export Permit - not currently enforced when carrying as checked baggage on an international flight.

I looked into shipping rifles home about 2 years ago when I moved back to NZ and it was not economically feasible - a lot of expense associated with US Broker Fees, US Shipping and US Export License.

Getting the goods into NZ is the easy part.
    berg243 likes this.

Being an AR15 could possibly pose some issues with your import permit, get it first then approach the rest of the hurdles one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Being an AR15 could possibly pose some issues with your import permit, get it first then approach the rest of the hurdles one at a time.
    This is good advise
    Sideshow likes this.
    Let dogs lead the way

Bus driver
    Click bang...not to be picky here,being taxed in the states,is based on where you either live or purchased it....e.g. Oregon has no state taxes on goods,Washington has a GST( of sorts),you buy the item and pay taxes as in kiwi.No sure if that makes a difference.Of all the the guns I've bought back to Kiwi,I've produced all of the original receipts etc,original owner and not paid any taxes as they are personal items...

Quote Originally Posted by clickbang View Post
    You shouldn't pay GST upon entry into NZ if you buy it in the states and bring it in as second hand. Reason being you would have already been taxed on it over there.
    Rifle I bought in was exempt from VAT/tax in the UK as it was being sold to export which is why I had to pay GST before customs would release it.

It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary