Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: [Film] "Long Range" with a .22lr

Ejected
    After Gimps motivational video, my Marlin cycling properly and the weather gods smiling, I thought I had better get out and have a jam.
    Unfortunately however I have to be patient and wait for my dial scope to arrive. As such I was forced to use the mighty Nikko Sterling mountmaster with its huge 4x magnification.

Target sizes are 3, 6 and 10 inches, with holdover point on the scope at this range (145m, max I could get with stock locations) being the top point of where the crosshair gets bigger.
    As you can see 3 inch target is pretty hard to see, but consistently hits.

Name:  gongs.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  279.2 KB
    Name:  targets.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  523.9 KB

Great fun being able to get away 3 shots before the first one hits.
    Bryan and Toby like this.

How many wires on the fence did you hit?

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    How many wires on the fence did you hit?
    Haha none this time thank god. Actually had some sleep before going out shooting this time. Learnt my lesson not to go out straight form nightshift last time.

Ran out of ammo though, went through about 100 odd cci subs and then had some winchester subs but it just doesn't like them. Mini mags are a little too noisy for around dads place.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Who would you recommend for gunsmithing a 10/22. Mine is standard and I would like to improve its accuracy? I'm based in South Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    Who would you recommend for gunsmithing a 10/22. Mine is standard and I would like to improve its accuracy? I'm based in South Auckland.
    Youtube, buy the parts and install yourself. 10/22 aren't the best base to start from though.

Gimps vid inspired me to dig out the old marlin and see how far I could constantly hit steel.
    Small plate sized gong at 330 yard was being hit every shot once the drop was sorted 47moa.
    Have to say it was the better fun than any of the other rigs and never got warm
    Last edited by BRADS; 07-09-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Toby and Beaker like this.

Hey Savage1, is that because the 10/22 is a semi or you just don't like them? I do a lot of night shooting and I am looking for more accuracy so I have been thinking about getting a CZ bolt action as I would like to be very accurate out to 100yds on subsonic (CCI's).

Hey Savage1, is that because the 10/22 is a semi or you just don't like them? I do a lot of night shooting and I am looking for more accuracy so I have been thinking about getting a CZ bolt action as I would like to be very accurate out to 100yds on subsonic (CCI's).
    I don't "not like" the Ruger, I've owned a couple, but they need a lot of money spent on them to get them up to the accuracy standard of say a standard Marlin 795 or bolt, Brno, Savage or JW15. You don't need a bolt for 100m accuracy, practice to get the range right and drop set is essential.

I'm no expert though.

This is a bit shakey but was a magpie at 200mtres with .22.
    7mmsaum, Toby, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I took Savage1's great advice and installed a Volquartsen Custom trigger kit in my Ruger and Youtube has a couple of very good instructional videos so the upgrade was rather easy. I took my son out this afternoon and gave the 10/22 for a spin and the photo below is the result. Needless to say - it's worth the $100 cost. 1 of the rounds looks like a bit of a flyer - hmmm. My 14 year old out shot me for the first time - 2 X hmmm ... I'm getting old.
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 702
Size:  406.7 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

Where do you start to describe the 10/22. Std it's a plinker. The whole mechanism is held into the stock with one screw in the receiver and then they put a barrel band on the basic models which can cause undue pressure. Luckily the 22 round isn't heavy recoiling. The action, more specifically the trigger group is a special arrangement that needs to be kept clean and dry. Unfortunately 22 ammo is not clean - mix in lead residue, wax and burnt powder and you have a combination of things to gunk it up. Oh, but then the trigger group is not easily removed to clean. The std arrangement is to push out 2 pins in either the newer polymer body or the old aluminium. After a while the pins are so loose you need to put a dob of nail varnish on them because the holes have opened out a couple of microns. Then there is the bolt assembly. It's got an ejector and an extractor. Both need to be kept clean to ensure you don't get stovepipes. The extractor especially. Then there is the bolt face where the good old lead/powder/wax build up causes seating issues. And the barrel face, which is 9/10 times never a good fit to the std bolt, and also gets build up of aforementioned goop. So in the end you have a fun rifle that needs plenty of cleaning and isn't easy to take apart

Instantly drop the trigger pull to 3.5lbs by fitting a $65 hammer and shim kit from Volguartsen. Fit an edge extractor and reduce stovepipes by 90%. Accuracy was about 1inch at 50m stock std. If you go for fancy trigger assys, and bolt assys it will look cool and shoot a wee bit better but more reliable. Still have to strip the whole thing right down every 500rds for a solid clean.

On the plus side Good 10-shot mag that's flush fitting and if you get one that shoots well, stick with it. It just needs TLC.

I had one for 1yr. I shot probably 500rds a month on a couple of farms in North Canty over the winter of which I probably needed to shoot 1/3 that. But instead of taking my time and making the shot count, it was more fun to keep pulling the trigger and hitting rabbits on the run. I moved back to a bolt JW15 and reduced grouping to touching shots under an inch at 50m. Very little ammo wasted now. Easy to clean, reliable and solid.

I've been doing a little more of this. Looking at replacing the 10/22 action to get better accuracy...

Digit, Uplandstalker and chalkeye like this.

Surprising you had trouble with your magnetospeed. Mine works fine with subsonic 22LR.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Nice Gimp - thanks!
    Your videos are so damn watchable - compete lack of bullshit and non relevant material and really well edited / shot

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I've been doing a little more of this. Looking at replacing the 10/22 action to get better accuracy...

Is that the rimfire hunter stock? I've got one ordered and just wondering if it was a good decision. Any feedback?