Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Husky1600#2
  • 4 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By No.3
  • 1 Post By NO4

Thread: 22 ammo testing for gong shoots

22 ammo testing for gong shoots

Gidday Guys. I'm gonna be on crutches and not driving for at least 8 weeks so gotta figure out some shooting I can do within staggering distance from the kitchen table!

I have a firing point for 22s just out the door, with backstops at 100M and 200M - now I ain't gonna be getting up to check or replace a target every few rounds.

So I was thinking of getting a couple of new gongs made and using them to test a range of the cheaper 22 ammos like Norma Tac 22, CCI SV, Eley Club and maybe others as per your suggestions.

I'll study the Match instructions I have from previous shoots but I'm thinking of using a 100mm gong with a 30mm "central" for 100M and a 250mm gong with a 75mm "central" for 200. I'll test each ammo batch at 50M first in all 4 rifles I have that are proven performers with two 10 shot groups. Then selecting the two rifles that best shot the ammo I'll put 25 rounds through each rifle at both distances, 5 shots to ensure zero and 20 to test. I'll record the number of hits and centrals. I might even be able to chrony all shots and match these to hits/central.

Thoughts/suggestions on this methodology.?

get SOMEONE ELSE to rig up a target on a string.....simple 2 pulley jobbie so you can pull target back to you for changing/inspecting..or you will soon get bored with just a "pink" noise and want to get down and see where they are hitting.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I hope the recovery goes well, mate.

The ammo test sounds great, but I sure hope the neighbours are okay with a holey target traversing their homes!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    get SOMEONE ELSE to rig up a target on a string.....simple 2 pulley jobbie so you can pull target back to you for changing/inspecting..or you will soon get bored with just a "pink" noise and want to get down and see where they are hitting.
    The target on a string works well

Just wind it in with a cordless drill

Then wind it back out again
    Bol Tackshin and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

And use plain mild 6mm steel, hung on light chains so it gets to "ring" nicely.
    Micky Duck likes this.

just use a stirling 14p .22lr and you will never miss!
    7mmwsm, Gibo, Growlybear and 1 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Old skool... Wireless camera setup is easier, 200m is a hell of a long wind in and out. It will get to be a pain in the arse going out to untangle and put the cord back onto the pulleys every time it pops off...
    zimmer likes this.

Fractured me foot wallaby shooting . . . .

NO4
    I have a gong here on its own frame your welcome to borrow (happy to drop it of also)
    Grey Kiwi likes this.